SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:42 PM   #1
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Wilson Creek Civil War balltlefield, Springfield MIssouri

When I was out at the Wilson Creek Battlefield National Park last week I had to argue to be allowed to ride my Segway--they seemed to be classifying it as a skateboard.... The ranger couldn't reach his supervisor by phone, but allowed me to ride anyway.

I was out there this morning--I didn't even have to say a word--was handed my Golden Age token with a big smile. so apparently it is official--this national Park is Segway friendly for the disabled. I didn't get a chance to ask about general Segway use, so check that if you plan to visit.

Ir is a beautifully maintained park, with a museum, and a 5 mile one way road that has a pedestrian/bicycle trail clearly marked on the side. There are some hills, but no problem for a Segway.

I used 4 bars of power and an hour of time with stops at the tour points and a long visit with a college student on horseback who was curious about getting a Segway for his grandmother... His horse was young and more curious about the segway than interested in me...

I did take the nature trail at the top of Bloody Hill--crushed rock, grass and bed rock. It is Segway I2 Ok with a little caution.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 07:34 AM   #2
DarthSegVator
DarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really nice

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Default NPS Memo on Segway Use for Disabled

Lily,

You probably already have this:

http://www.nps.gov/policy/Segway_memo.pdf

The memo states, in part;

All park superintendents are directed to review this issue by January 19, 2007, for their individual park and make a decision on whether they can accommodate the use of this device. If the decision is made that you can accommodate it, you must do so. If you determined that they will not be allowed, you must state in writing the reasons for that determination. We also request that each park inform us of the decision that you make through the Regional Director by January 19, 2007. This information should be sent to the Acting Associate Director, Park Planning, Facilities, and Lands.

After further study and evaluation of this issue, the NPS will make a decision with regard to the development of a Servicewide policy and appropriate regulations. We ask each park superintendent to ensure that all staff that interacts with the public, including our concessions staff, be informed of your decision and take whatever steps are necessary to implement it.

If you have any questions regarding this issue, you may contact David Park, Accessibility Program Coordinator, at 202/513-7027.
DarthSegVator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 09:21 AM   #3
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSegVator View Post
Lily,

You probably already have this:

http://www.nps.gov/policy/Segway_memo.pdf

The memo states, in part;

All park superintendents are directed to review this issue by January 19, 2007, for their individual park and make a decision on whether they can accommodate the use of this device. If the decision is made that you can accommodate it, you must do so. If you determined that they will not be allowed, you must state in writing the reasons for that determination. We also request that each park inform us of the decision that you make through the Regional Director by January 19, 2007. This information should be sent to the Acting Associate Director, Park Planning, Facilities, and Lands.

After further study and evaluation of this issue, the NPS will make a decision with regard to the development of a Servicewide policy and appropriate regulations. We ask each park superintendent to ensure that all staff that interacts with the public, including our concessions staff, be informed of your decision and take whatever steps are necessary to implement it.

If you have any questions regarding this issue, you may contact David Park, Accessibility Program Coordinator, at 202/513-7027.
Yes, I have read that and referred to it in our conversation, but do not carry it with me. Guess I should add that that to the handout I take with me when I travel. Thanks.

They were not nasty--just uninformed... They obviously did inform their employes after they researched the matter. I am impressed with their care of this historical site.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote