SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 11-09-2009, 04:55 PM   #1
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Cruise lines vs Segways

There has been discussion on another forum about cruise lines and Segway use for the disabled. .. Princess, Carnival and now (with memories of the one cruise I've taken) I just called Holland America....

Same story on all three: You can bring your Segway to use on land where allowed but you may not use it on board.

Anyone here have a different story or experience with using one on board...?

Hmmm.... and just how is a disabled person to get the Segway to land if you did bring it along??
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:28 AM   #2
JimT
JimT is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member
Default Cruise lines

I have used my Segway on Royal Caribbean (Italy 2007) and Princess (British Isles 2008). I had no problems. My travel agent did all the work.

Jim
JimT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:28 PM   #3
Suzined
Suzined is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I took my Segway to Alaska aboard Royal Carribian and rode it while at sea this past summer. Two evenings were so rough I left the Seg in my cabin. The crew was cheerful and helpful. Cuddos to my Portland friends who blazed the trail a year earlier. It could not have gone smoother--well okay, two nights of heavy seas with half thye passengers sick as dogs but that wasn't the Segway's fault. While in Victoria I took the Seg to Butchard's Gardens--the only way to see the place. Wonderful!

Use your own good judgment oin when to glide and when to leave the Seg in a cabin. This is one place you do not want to press the envelope.

Royal Carribian is wonderful; Norwegian told me one thing then changed their mind after getting my payment then charged me a cancellation fee.

Yeah Royal Caribbean, boo Norwegian.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:09 PM   #4
cms1001
cms1001 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Exclamation I've used my Segway on Royal Caribbean & Carnival

Sounds like a job for DRAFT
cms1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:46 PM   #5
davegood
davegood is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default norwegian?? please help

so, after having orbitz seemingly think that all was ok with taking a segway on norweigian, I get this:

In your original e-mail you advised the guest is bringing a scooter and now you call it a SEGWAY. Please be advised that SEGWAYS are not allowed on board. If the guest is bringing a mobility scooter (that has a seat) there is no problem. But if the guest wants to bring a two wheeled mobility machine that they stand on, this is not allowed.

anyone have anythoughts on how I can respond? wonder if a "segseat" would avoid this. Thanks in advance for any much needed assistance.
davegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:40 PM   #6
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by davegood View Post
so, after having orbitz seemingly think that all was ok with taking a segway on norweigian, I get this:

In your original e-mail you advised the guest is bringing a scooter and now you call it a SEGWAY. Please be advised that SEGWAYS are not allowed on board. If the guest is bringing a mobility scooter (that has a seat) there is no problem. But if the guest wants to bring a two wheeled mobility machine that they stand on, this is not allowed.

anyone have anythoughts on how I can respond? wonder if a "segseat" would avoid this. Thanks in advance for any much needed assistance.
I would mount the segseat, and bring a copy of their letter with the sentence I highlighted above similarly highlighted...

The problem is that you do not know me, and do not know that I have no fear of being a real in the butt to petty authoritarians... You may feel differently... And by doing this you are pretty much acquiescing to sitting on the segway for the cruise...

The other problem is that you may arrive, and some low level bureaucrat will tell you to leave the segway behind... Then what do you do?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:21 PM   #7
davegood

5 yr Member
Default thought about that

I'm also of the 'easier to apologize later than ask for permission'. In addition, I have a pretty good knack for just acting ignorant and showing up with her initial email strand (below).

Not sure what to do if they are adamant about not bringing it at the port...

what would you do? if they have a strict, well understood rule known by all crewmembers, i would be screwed.

Quote:
Thank you for contacting the Access Desk. The information provided has been noted.

There is no form to complete. However, could you please provide the following information?

* Is this guest able to stand and walk?
* Will this guest need assistance in the event of an emergency?
* Advise us of any special needs/requests this guest may have so we can make sure to better serve him/her onboard
* Is the guest willing to disclose a medical condition/disability? (This is not required it is just a suggestion, in the event of a medical situation onboard).

Please keep in mind that guests on wheelchairs may have limitations when disembarking in tendering ports. If the guest is able to walk onto the tender, the total weight of the wheelchair can not exceed 100 pounds. If the guest is unable to walk onto the tender, the total weight of the guest & wheelchair can not exceed 100 pounds. This is for the safety of the crew as NCL depends 100% on man power to either lift the wheelchair or the wheelchair & the guest onto the tender. The only one that can determine if the transfer would take place is the Staff Captain. Factors such as weather and sea conditions are taken into consideration.

This itinerary tenders in Belize City & Great Stirrup Cay.

Regards,

Michelle Lopez | Access Coordinator
[email protected]

1-800-327-9020 | ext. 7693 | fax 305-468-2171

Norwegian Cruise Line®
7665 Corporate Center Drive | Miami FL 33126

Freestyle Cruising®
ncl.com
Old 04-06-2010, 10:43 PM   #8
davegood

5 yr Member
Default Challenged Norwegian and Received Approval!!

Just wanted to post an update - I challenged Norwegian Cruise Line's position on Segways and they agreed with me.

See the following if you're interested:

http://forums.segwaychat.com/showthread.php?t=24112
Old 07-02-2010, 08:38 PM   #9
bruneje
bruneje is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Celebrity Cruise line allow you to use them on board if you ask for permission before.
bruneje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:17 PM   #10
bruneje
bruneje is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Celebrity Cruise line allow you to use them on board if you ask for permission before.
bruneje is offline   Reply With Quote