SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 04-14-2010, 10:41 AM   #1
Timm
Timm is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default New Seated Segway set up

AMS (Autonomy Mobility Systems) out of Phoenix has an amazing new version with 4 out riggers that deploy so the Segway becomes 100% stable as one transfers on and off!

Plus he has added armrest and back rest, he gets it!

Timm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 02:48 PM   #2
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

This looks good! I've said from the first time I was on one that it needed retractable landing gear!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:07 AM   #3
Tarkus
Tarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timm View Post
AMS (Autonomy Mobility Systems) out of Phoenix has an amazing new version with 4 out riggers that deploy so the Segway becomes 100% stable as one transfers on and off!

Plus he has added armrest and back rest, he gets it!

Very cool.
As we know there's some really nice one offs out there. Of the spirit of ingenuity.

AMAC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 11:49 AM   #4
Synergetic
Synergetic is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Landing Gear

Perhaps I'm misinterpreting what I'm seeing in the video, but it appears that the operator is extending the "landing gear" while the machine is in balance mode (as his weight is still on the machine, activating the sensors). I thought that engaging a support while in balance mode was unsafe and guaranteed to break the support.

Please advise.
Synergetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 02:45 PM   #5
FrostyEOD
FrostyEOD will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Looks like a technically sweet solution for the supports, lifts the segway straight up on 4 legs.
FrostyEOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 03:33 PM   #6
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

It could be that his floor is flat enough that it doesn't cause the segway to move. Or perhaps it isn't his weight that depresses the rider detects, but instead they get pressed when he switches "modes."

"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Gihgehls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 05:22 AM   #7
bob yarbrough
bob yarbrough has a little shameless behaviour in the past

5 yr Member
Default AMS seat, nicely done

Nicely done.

Could it be that he is only lifting his seat and body weight up as opposed to lifting the complete Segway, seat and body weight?

I would like to see a video of how a person accessing this type of seat from a wheelchair by theirself without any assistance would be accomplished.

While ALL Segway PT seats have their pros and cons, theAMS seat along with ALL the seats for the Segway PT (based solely on videos viewed anyway) has earned it's way to the top of anyones list. <IMHO>

Is there a web site for this seat?

Bob Yarbrough
the PONY SEAT

the PONY SEAT
bob yarbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 05:14 AM   #8
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergetic View Post
Perhaps I'm misinterpreting what I'm seeing in the video, but it appears that the operator is extending the "landing gear" while the machine is in balance mode (as his weight is still on the machine, activating the sensors). I thought that engaging a support while in balance mode was unsafe and guaranteed to break the support.

Please advise.
I noticed that. My guess is that it simultaneously disengages the rider detect switches. That would leave it in Riderless Balance Mode, which is a lesser problem, at least.

I occasionally end up with my Segway in Balance Mode while engaged with my Segvator. It's a rather titanic struggle. On the most recent occasion, I encountered a new variation -- it was quiescent as I drove off -- until the driveway slope reached a point where the Segway seriously wanted to MOVE.

It's always a little nerve-wracking, telling the Segvator to let the struggling Segway loose so I can turn it off. Just far enough to disengage the rider detect switches...

Even if the rider detect switches are disengaged, and even if the landing pads are sufficiently strong to deal with misbehavior, I'm concerned it's still an unsafe situation as long as RBM is engaged. If you can't get the Segway level, it's going to continue to drive, and this can involve shoving the entire unit toward whatever obstruction. Imagine a train platform...

However, if the landing pads are set up as a lockable pantograph, so that they can adapt to the surface while still in RBM, then you lock them in position and turn off RBM, it mght be safe.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 05:05 PM   #9
aduboyce49
aduboyce49 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default New Seated Segway Set Up?

Hi, My name is Alan, and I just joined this Forum. I am a T-3 Paraplegic from a car wreck in 1984 when I lost the use of my legs. I am now 49, and have used a chair for 26 years. I am very active, due alot of transferring, and have always drove since my paraplegia. I am very intertested In buying, or having one of these seated Segway Wheelchairs. I would like some information on how I would go about buying one, and around what it would cost, and how soon I could have bought , or built? Like I said I have used a chair for 26 years now, and this is the coolest mobility vehicle I have seen since, and I know it would improve my mobility, and life a great deal more. I would not give up My ultra-light Manual Wheelchair, but I am almost 50 years old, and this looks like something that was made for me, and I have been web searching all day to find info on how to accuire a Segway Wheelchair, or as You say a New Segway Seated Setup. Thank You, and I look forward into finding out more about how I to can have the comfort and enjoyment of having one of these Mobility Devices. aduboyce49
aduboyce49 is offline   Reply With Quote