SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:52 PM   #1
Synergetic
Synergetic is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default stability question

I was gliding today (on my i2 with 15psi inflated tires) on a crushed stone path. I was moving slowly because of the surface (although NOT in turtle-mode) and found myself CONSTANTLY shifting my weight and the lean-steer just to keep the Seg on the path. The pitch of the surface did vary, although not dramatically; batteries were fully charged; there were no error codes; there were no emergency shut-down warnings; the stone was dry and the tires didn't appear to be slipping.

I was gliding from a seated position on my SegSaddle, which I cannot imagine was a factor and, because my center of gravity was lower than if I'd been standing, actually made the situation safer. I've not had a problem like this on any other surface; so, unless it was operator error (certainly a possibility), I'm assuming the crushed stone was the source of the problem. Has anyone had a similar experience or a suggestion for what I should have done differently or better?

I'm posting this in the General Discussion and Special Needs forums to get as much feedback as possible.
Synergetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 12:01 AM   #2
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

I have had similar situations on an assortment of surfaces, but not when on clear pavement...

When on sand, or snow, or sometimes gravel, the wheels may encounter areas that are harder packed than other areas... This means that one wheel may sink in more than the other, simply because of the softness of the trail...

If one tire sinks into softer earth than the other, it will have more drag, and the segway will naturally start to turn that direction, causing you to need to steer to compensate. If later on, the other wheel finds a soft spot, then the same will happen to the other side...

The best test to be sure that nothing is really wrong with your segway is to go for a similar glide on a nice clean flat pavement, and see if the same thing happens...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote