SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:35 PM   #1
bob yarbrough
bob yarbrough has a little shameless behaviour in the past

5 yr Member
Default a walker for the Segway PT?

Forgive me if this idea has previously been suggested, but I've noticed that several members had made mention of their difficulty with being stable on a Gen 2 (I2 or X2). Has the idea of a style of walker (with wheels removed) and some adaptation of attachment using the gear housing screw holes been attempted? I'm picturing the walker(height adjustablle) with sides flaring to the inside and/or outside (depending on the stabllizing needs of the user) dropping lower on the front side to allow freedom of movement for the lean steer frame. Additionally the bottom of the walker legs might contour down the front and back of the base for extra stability.

DISCLAIMER:
I make this suggestion only for those who have the physical strength and agility to handle such an attachement, including the experience of using a Segway PT. I suppose this could be done on an HT model also, but as the HT is no longer in production, I'm focused on the PT models only.

Critisize or laugh at this idea but eventually all HT users will be facing this delima.

Bob Yarbrough
the PONY SEAT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
the PONY SEAT
bob yarbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 10:24 AM   #2
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

I can't get/imagine what you are describing. Can you describe further (give examples of something similar) or even better, scribble a drawing down and post?
Old 03-07-2010, 03:30 PM   #3
bob yarbrough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrandwood View Post
I can't get/imagine what you are describing. Can you describe further (give examples of something similar) or even better, scribble a drawing down and post?

Sorry, my daughter has the artistic talent in the family. I don't know how to attach a picture or if I'm even allowed so, I'm forced to say that a physical therapist could explain what a walker is. A google search for "walker" and "physical therapist" would return some images I'm sure and just take my description from there.

Bob
the PONY SEAT

the PONY SEAT
Old 03-07-2010, 06:46 PM   #4
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Red face Oh, one of those...

Sorry for being a bit dim, Bob (it happens!). I looked it up like you suggest and I guess it is what we would call a "zimmer frame" over here. I'm with you now.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:32 PM   #5
dgbint
dgbint will become famous soon enoughdgbint will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Wink Gen-1

I think that you might be saying, 'some folks with mobility issues feel uncomftable without something firm to grab on to'.

If so, try and find an older gen-1 machine.

Yes, they're not quite so sporty, but they might be a better fit in those circumstances.

Many dealers have trade-ins.
dgbint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:30 AM   #6
bob yarbrough

5 yr Member

[QUOTE=dgbint;205234]I think that you might be saying, 'some folks with mobility issues feel uncomftable without something firm to grab on to'.

If so, try and find an older gen-1 machine.

Owning both an HT and a PT and since recently recovering from a mild stroke myself I would in no way recommend an HT. I do understand why a person might seek out an HT (because of limited resources for example) I definitely would not recommend an HT. I've done face plants(thankfully had plenty of cushioning in my bag which avoided possible damage to the electronics in the handlebars. Additionally the steering frame gives the user all the jerkiness that the feet experience. While I might assume users with limited stability issues will avoid rough terrain areas the attachement described for the PT would be of benefit with their mobility issues.

A last consideration is that the HT has been out of production for at least five years now. I understand the PT is expensive, but (IN MY HUMBLE OPINION) I believe the PT (plus the cost of such an attachement if it is ever built for users with these stability needs) would be worth every penny.

thanks
Bob Yarbrough
the PONY SEAT

the PONY SEAT