SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 05-06-2003, 12:33 AM   #21
Kinky
Kinky

5 yr Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pt

the ht is not and most likely never will be a medically approved device ever....so as hubbah said, you won't find segway offering up suggestions on how to modify the ht.

cheers,
pt

If you have no real life experience in this area than I suggest that you not state comments as facts when they are nothing more than your uneducated guess.

It would be in the best interest for the able-bodied Seggers to work with the dis-abled in getting the Segway accepted. The way it's looking, Segway may end up being totally accepted only when used for mobility assistance.

Segway LLC is not anti-ADA or against persons with disabilities. If they ran this through for FDA approval none of us would be gliding any time soon - iBOT for example.

I called Segway today and spoke with Judy. I told her about the post and comments from Segway and that I couldn't believe someone would say that. She said she hoped no one from Segway intended to make such comments. I told her that it would help if Segway re-worded their statements about the Segway not being intended as a medical device. She asked that I send an email for her to pass on, which I did.

======================

segway ht journal:
http://www.bookofseg.com

other stuff:
http://www.flashenabled.com
Kinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 11:03 AM   #22
lipinsky
Account Suspended
lipinsky is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by casterman

I called Segway about the retrofitting and.. I got a polite we are sorry but even at that price we do not support people with disabilities. I have to say i just tried a Segway it is definitely a revolutionary idea. However i feel very disappointed that they do not even pretend or try to help challenged people. That#8217;s not revolutionary sound very old fashion to me. I did not use to have this problem on my left side a year ago. Now i can really experience what physical limitation are all about? Any way hopefully some other company more proactive an wiling to be integrated in our society might under some kind of license build more customizable solution.
Kemal
Well next time you see a lawyer thank him/her. This really gets down to a torts issue. As an official medical device LLC would have to go through the FDA -- time=money. Half the cost of a Cessna aircraft are related to potential legal and liability costs. I wonder what it is for a Segway?
lipinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 11:45 AM   #23
AtlSeg
AtlSeg

5 yr Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pt

the ht is not and most likely never will be a medically approved device ever....so as hubbah said, you won't find segway offering up suggestions on how to modify the ht.
Well, while Segway LLC says in their Terms and Conditions:
Quote:
quote: 3. Not a Medical Device. The Product has not been designed, tested, or approved as a medical device. The rider must be able to step on and off the Product, which requires physical abilities similar to climbing and descending stairs without assistance and without holding the handrail. Therider's weight must be at least 100 pounds and must not exceed 250 pounds. The rider must be able to operate the steering control with the left hand.
I don't think the statement that it "most likely won't be a medically approved device ever" can be little more than one opinion.... and certainly should be better phrased from one who styles himself a Segway expert. Just my opinion.

Dick (Richard) in Atlanta
AtlSeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 12:11 PM   #24
larryKay
larryKay

5 yr Member

This all does not mean that you cannot modify the Segway to your needs. Degway can and will not do it. You are free to do your own modifications ala the way others do handicapped controls for autos.

Larry
larryKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 12:44 PM   #25
pam
Last of the Early 30
pam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by AtlSeg
I don't think the statement that it "most likely won't be a medically approved device ever" can be little more than one opinion.... and certainly should be better phrased from one who styles himself a Segway expert. Just my opinion.

I don't think I've ever seen pt style himself a Segway expert. I don't think I've ever read it anywhere on his pages. I do think he has a lot of experience with the Segway, loves it, and is willing to share his experience via his webpage. I also think that he might, just might, have had some interactions with Segway that led him to make this statement. I don't know, because I haven't been around with him during his Segway interactions. But I know from MY interactions with the company, that the one's I've talked to have indicated to me that they are definitely not interested in having the device go through the process for medical approval now.
Pam
pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 01:20 PM   #26
toybuilder
toybuilder is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Segway cannot sell the HT's as a medical device -- they have an agreement with Johnson and Johnson that J&J gets to use the dynamic stabilization technoology for all medical applications, and Dean Kamen gets all other applications.

http://www.pasadenasegway.com

The Segway is to a Moped like a Helicopter is to an Airplane.
toybuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 01:24 PM   #27
AtlSeg
AtlSeg

5 yr Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pam

I don't think I've ever seen pt style himself a Segway expert. I don't think I've ever read it anywhere on his pages. I do think he has a lot of experience with the Segway, loves it, and is willing to share his experience via his webpage. I also think that he might, just might, have had some interactions with Segway that led him to make this statement. I don't know, because I haven't been around with him during his Segway interactions.
Pam, please don't misinterpret what I opined. I can only go on what I read here. Whether pt has "some interaction with Segway" other than the rest of us early adopters really seems unknown to me. My only concern is that while it is true pt has had his Segway longer than most of us, and seems to do a very credible job of chronicling his experiences and observations, one must always keep moderation in mind. If, indeed, pt has more insight/experience with Segway than is apparent, I would welcome that information to better help me evaluate his (or anyone else's) opinions expressed here. Until then, I can only use MY experience (which while perhaps not reaching the months/miles accumulated by pt, is nevertheless comprehensive and valid) to react to situations.

That being said, I am not criticizing pt for what he says, but am suggesting that careful consideration of delivery should be made.

Old 05-06-2003, 02:41 PM   #28
pam
Last of the Early 30
pam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond repute

So, where did you get the idea he styled himself as a Segway expert? I guess I'm confused. That was what I thought you said.
Quote:
quote:
should be better phrased from one who styles himself a Segway expert
We can all use a little consideration in the delivery of our thoughts, I agree. (That's why you see so many edits on my posts <G>.)

And beyond, Johnson and Johnson does hold all the medical applications... at least according to the Ginger book. So, Segway can't and won't - and I think, given that piece of information, I think I can say, "won't ever", with some accuracy, although no authority <G>.
Pam
Old 05-06-2003, 02:47 PM   #29
AtlSeg
AtlSeg

5 yr Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pam

So, where did you get the idea he styled himself as a Segway expert? I guess I'm confused. That was what I thought you said.
Quote:
quote:
should be better phrased from one who styles himself a Segway expert
Sorry if I misled you, Pam. I guess my poor little brain just got overwhelmed by a plethora of "nevers" and "evers". I'll fall back into lockstep now.

Old 05-06-2003, 09:26 PM   #30
pam
Last of the Early 30

Hey, Richard, a friend walked into my office today and saw my Segway sitting there and said she'd been up to Atlanta this weekend. She and a friend had gone to some sort of parade/celebration, and there were 3 Segways in the parade.. Were you there? Also some sort of little car made out of PVC pipe <G>.
Pam