SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 02-02-2004, 05:35 PM   #11
Phil
Phil is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

I have now been able to get the HT to give some error beep upon restart soon after shutdown. (it gives an error type beep and then does not enter into power assist mode) but i have then been able to start the HT after that with a key, without having to remove/reinstall shaft.
Will keep experimenting,...

Phil Webb
"Cherry IT Driver"

Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 06:03 PM   #12
SegwayUtah
Advanced Member
SegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really nice

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Phil,

When did you get your HT? You've sure been on the board since the early days

Chris
SegwayUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 07:53 PM   #13
Florida Ever-Glides
Florida Ever-Glides will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member SegwayFest Attendee

My re-boot problems happen randomly with the 9 units, usually trying to restart after a 10-15 minute break at the middle of our tour. It can happen on 11.0 version and the 12.0.

It is just a random occurence. I like the idea of a re-boot pin hole that would be safely covered by the plug flap.

Tom Jacobson
Florida Ever-Glides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 10:19 PM   #14
Phil

5 yr Member

I received mine on 12-27-02 E-series.
Remember, I'm a Vantage Controls Dealer, Home/Business Automation (their also located in Orem)
DEKA research is a Vantage customer.
We've developed a voice control system/ open air mic and or telephone
control over lighting,security and anything else that's powered by Electricity.
Someday i'd like to install a Voice control system for DEKA to work along with their Vantage System. "Computer," "Yes Dean,.. how can i assist you this evening?" "Open my hanger doors,... i'd like to take the Brantly for a spin" "Well Dean the weather shows low ceilings in the Manchester Area,.. would you still like me to open the hanger doors?" Etc
We're actually doing this in my house (not hanger doors, just garage doors) anyway it's really neat.

Phil Webb
"Cherry IT Driver"

Old 02-03-2004, 12:29 AM   #15
SegwayUtah
Advanced Member
SegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really nice

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Phil,

I feel silly. We talked about this before. Wow, over a year and no reboots. Good deal! I haven't had to reboot my new i-series once in almost a month.

Chris
SegwayUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 12:52 AM   #16
Segway City
Segway City is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

Phil: Reminds me of an early voice-operated-everything client I had in the mid '90's when ViaVoice was the big thing. We installed a CTI voicemail in his office and he listened to his vmail over his PC speakers (almost unheard of technology then!) His buddies would leave him voicemail messages like "Computer!....C Drive!...Format Backslash U!"

He hated his friends.....
Segway City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 06:28 AM   #17
ronzul
ronzul is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

A little bit annoyed now...

After about five weeks of flawless performance, last Wednesday was the first time it needed a reboot. With this muscular condition I have, I can't take the Segway apart by myself. Fortunately I was with my work colleagues and they helped out.

Today it happened again -- this time my friendly taxidriver helped reboot my machine. But twice in a week is a little annoying.

I guess it would be very hard philosophically for Segway to include a reset switch. On one hand they have to show the world how rocksolid reliable and stable the machine is. How can they say that, and then say "Oh yeah, and just in case the machine goes wonky, we have a little reset switch hidden away..."

I also liked the idea of the reboot pin tucked away inside the power socket housing.

If anyone has any tips on reducing the incidence of Segway coma, please post your suggestions. I am going to always shut down from power assist mode and see if that makes any difference... who knows?

---
Who said that you shouldn't get carried away on your Segway?
ronzul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 06:37 AM   #18
ronzul
ronzul is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

By the way, I haven't noticed this tip on the Segway web site until now...

Quote:
quote:1. Don't try to rapidly startup your Segway HT after shutting it down. Wait until the display on the handlebar is gone before restarting.

2. If you are unable to restart the Segway HT (possibly because of trying to restart it too quickly), wait at least 30 seconds before trying to restart it again.

3. If you still can't restart your Segway HT, you should try the "key-tap" method. Rapidly tap the Segway HT's key port with the intelligent key repeatedly. The machine will reset and you should hear the handlebar play the same 3 tones you hear when you first plug in the handlebar to the base. When you hear this tone you should pause for 5 seconds and then attempt to restart the Segway HT.

4. If all else fails, please disconnect the control shaft and reattach.
Next time I will try suggestion 3. Has anyone had situations where this didn't help and still needed to disconnect and reconnect the control shaft?

---
Who said that you shouldn't get carried away on your Segway?
ronzul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 11:30 AM   #19
Phil

5 yr Member

I'm working on a solution for this problem. Will be doing some testing today and will let you know how i'm progressing.

Phil Webb
"Cherry IT Driver"

Old 02-03-2004, 11:56 AM   #20
jrmiller
jrmiller

5 yr Member

Ronzul, I have had one shut down in alsost a yers usee. Lucky Me. But I did try he tap tap tap method to no avail. I still had to separate the CS and disconnect the wires. That is a sure fire method, at least for me. I still like the idea of a conviently "dislocated" switch idea. SEG-ON SEG-RIGHT JR
jrmiller is offline   Reply With Quote