SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 06-30-2003, 02:50 AM   #1
jillmac
jillmac

5 yr Member
Default How many with health issues helped by Segway?

I'm just curious as to how many of us here had health issues that have been helped by being able to use the Segway to get around. I know of several of course, but was interested just how many and the benefits you have found. Also, if you feel that the Segway was a good investment for you.

Me...... I have MS. Don't need a wheelchair (have used one when needed though) and am enjoying being able to join in with everyday things again and to enjoy the great outdoors

The Segway was most definitely a good investment for me.

Jill

Nothing is inexplicable, merely unexplained..... Dr. Who
jillmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 08:41 AM   #2
X-man
X-man is an unknown quantity at this point

Location: As a full time RVer, I'm on a road somewhere in the west
5 yr Member

Myself, I have COPD (with a 'trick' hip) and it has helped me extend my range without tiring as much. I have been places on my Segway that I never tried on my bike or by walking. Great investment for me with only the range as a complaint but only because I usually am not ready to go home due tothe fact that I'm having so darn much fun on the thing.
Friends and family are now complaining that I'm never home. I am, but usually just to charge up and then I'm off again. It's become routine to go out in the morning, charge during the heat of the day and out again in the evening. Another reason for those times is the ambient light because my camera is always with me.

X is my undergrad school.
X-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 08:54 AM   #3
segwayowner
segwayowner is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

while it hasnt helped me perosnally, it has been helping one of my griends with MS. she has poor balance, but is great on the segway.

DES: Segway owner
segwayowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 12:26 PM   #4
defenbaugh
defenbaugh

5 yr Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jillmac

I'm just curious as to how many of us here had health issues that have been helped by being able to use the Segway to get around.
I have offered mine to a paraplegic and a man with a prosthesis. Both are reluctant. I am not forcing but reassuring them they would be surprised at the outcome. Will update if something develops. Have others had experience that might help me?

Follow your bliss,
Ron

http://www.defenbaugh.org/segway_ht.htm
defenbaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 03:04 PM   #5
lipinsky
Account Suspended
lipinsky is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by segwayowner

while it hasnt helped me perosnally, it has been helping one of my griends with MS. she has poor balance, but is great on the segway.

DES: Segway owner
How many Girl Friends do you have?
lipinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 03:24 PM   #6
hodgepoj
hodgepoj

5 yr Member

My HT has really helped me get around town. I have osteoarthritis in my left hip (the ball and socket joint is bone-to-bone, no cartiledge to soften the joint). I normally walk with a cane and ride the electric scooter baskets at Home Depot, Lowes, and WalMart. But I ride up and down the aisles on my HT when I've brought it along.

It has also permitted me to leave the car at home for trips to Walgreens or the neighborhood supermarket, and to resume my regular sojourns on the bicycle/hiking trail along White Rock Creek in Dallas. A truly delightful outing.

Power to the People.

hodgepoj
hodgepoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 09:08 PM   #7
herpos
herpos is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

I have posted before on my condition of Muscular Dystrophy that has been greatly helped by the HT. I can lecture for 90 mins while on the HT without tiring as contrasted with 10 mins before HT. I can of course glide many places that I could never manage walking even with a cane or crutches.

Since the HT is too big, heavy, and bulky for me to handle, I even made lemonade out of the lemon and created the SegTray as a self contained hitch mounted carrier to transport the HT all over with easy loading and unloading (see another forum for info) which has given me even greater freedom.
herpos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 01:04 AM   #8
SegwayBill
SegwayBill

5 yr Member

I have also posted before, I have chronic fatigue (cfids) and would be stuck at home if it were not for my Segway. The battery has taught me how to manage my personal energy. When I was at my worst it sure gave me something to look forward to.

Bill
SegwayBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 03:04 AM   #9
jillmac
jillmac

5 yr Member

I know a lot of us have posted before on health issues and our use of Segway - I just thought it would be interesting to have one thread will everyone 'in the same boat' posting with their experiences.

I do appreciate everyone sharing their info. I think this could prove to be a useful thread as a reference point for action groups.

In addition to my own personal use I have demo'd to several people who have mobility issues or have corresponded with them and two that I know of have gone on to purchase a Segway. One gentleman with MS and the other with severe nerve damage in his spine (resulting in a very MS'like gait).

It's interesting to see what ailments can be helped by conserving energy, or relieving balance problems.

Ralph Chaney (RWC) of this forum referred to many of the people who could be helped as "the invisible disabled." We met a while back to work on his video about the Segway. I didn't really think about his comment until some time later and then realized how profound it was.

There are literally thousands of people who are disabled, but don't fall into the 'obvious' patterns of disability. I for one look pretty good (healwise) but have distinct problems with stamina, fatigue, balance etc. but I don't 'look disabled.'

There are those with COPD (as with one poster here), CFS, asthma and much, much more. Lot's do not qualify for the blue parking placard.

I'm just curious to see how many people post on this thread and how many disabilities the Segway is helping along the way.

Jill

Nothing is inexplicable, merely unexplained..... Dr. Who
jillmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 03:10 AM   #10
toybuilder
toybuilder is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jillmac

Ralph Chaney (RWC) of this forum referred to many of the people who could be helped as "the invisible disabled." We met a while back to work on his video about the Segway. I didn't really think about his comment until some time later and then realized how profound it was.

There are literally thousands of people who are disabled, but don't fall into the 'obvious' patterns of disability. I for one look pretty good (healwise) but have distinct problems with stamina, fatigue, balance etc. but I don't 'look disabled.'
I think "invisible disabled" applies a little to me -- I've always had respiratory problems since I was a kid and strenuous exercise has always been difficult (at least when I'm in Los Angeles or other more polluted areas). I'm mostly functional, and I generally don't look at myself as being disabled, but I do know that the Segway is more viable for me than a bicycle.

http://www.pasadenasegway.org/
A bicycle in 1897 cost $25 ($2,200 today adjusted for inflation).
A Ford Model-T cost $850 in 1908 ($75,000 today adjusted for inflation).
(Can anyone point me to historical prices of horses?)
toybuilder is offline   Reply With Quote