SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 02-01-2004, 02:35 PM   #1
Florida Ever-Glides
Florida Ever-Glides will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member SegwayFest Attendee
Default Re-boot Relief

Does anyone know if Segway LLC is planning to locate a simple re-boot switch in a convenient location on a new model? I have 9 machines and it sometimes is embarrasing to take-the-thing-apart during a tour. It only takes a moment to correct (re-boot) but it just makes good sense to place a button near the handgrip. Any suggestions?

Tom Jacobson
Florida Ever-Glides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 02:47 PM   #2
Ground Loop
Ground Loop is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I think they should fix the dang DEFECT so a reboot isn't necessary. It's not like this isn't a known bug. If you see some guy on the side of the road with a control shaft in one hand and a hex key in the other, frustrated look on his face, well, that's me.

One thing I intend to try next time is the "Emergency Shutdown" trick. You know.. Lick your thumb and index finger. Press your thumb into the key socket and rub the black screw under the handlebar with your index finger.

This is a 100% effective way to cause the machine to panic and shut down. I'm curious to know if it will get the machine out of the "Beep, I'm Ignoring You" mode.
Ground Loop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 02:59 PM   #3
wayne
wayne has a little shameless behaviour in the past

5 yr Member

All you need to do is splice into the wires and install a toggle switch. Probably only need to cut one or two wires but which ones is the question. LLC could be nice and let us know which wires to splice into but I don't think they are interested in helping with the problem of re-booting.
Re-booting and the 12.0 software and battery power seem to be the major problems with the Seg at this time. Maybe if enough of us complained they would see the light and give us some help.

Seg-On
Wayne
wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 03:10 PM   #4
dhugger
dhugger is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

One way to figure out which wire does what is to play around with a volt/am meter. I'm sure you could figure out which cables are power, which connect to the key port, etc. One word of warning though, if anyone is gonna try this, TAKE THE BATTERIES OUT FIRST. you could accidentally fry something if you connect the power to a data input or something.... wait, on second thought, unless you're an electrical engineer, don't try it.

-Derek Hugger-
dhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 04:56 PM   #5
SegwayUtah
Advanced Member
SegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really nice

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Is it possible that the "beep-no-start" issue was with the earlier cables (static tolerance or something) in the control shaft? I have the "new style" cables in the control shaft and powerbase on my new HT, and while I do still get "beep-no-start" I can simply wait a few seconds and then she'll start up fine.

My old machine would consistently make me take it apart and reboot on the occasions when I got "beep no start."

Does anyone with the new-style cables had to restart?

Chris
SegwayUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 06:51 PM   #6
dgbint
dgbint will become famous soon enoughdgbint will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Hang on a minute !!

I am an electrical engineer, with some experience on products with embedded control.
I strongly suggest that you DO NOT install an external re-boot switch.
I can only guess at the horror with which the talented team at LLC might view such activity.

Safety is a prime consideration with HTs.

What if anyone accidently bumped the reset switch whilst a glider was present ( let alone moving ) ?
Face plant is the likely result.
What would the insurance comapny people say, if somebody was hurt and the unit had been 'messed with' ?????

Michael
dgbint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 07:00 PM   #7
wayne
wayne has a little shameless behaviour in the past

5 yr Member

Most would know to put the switch in a hard to get place or even better have it operated with a key to turn off and on.
That may be the reason LLC didn't not install a switch. They didn't know you could activate it with the turn of a key.

Seg-On
Wayne
wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 07:08 PM   #8
gotseg
gotseg

5 yr Member

I agree with dgint, an exteranl reboot button on the CS could make one hell of a problem. But I also dont think you should have to go opening your segway to reboot it. Almost any electroic device has a 'reset' button at the end of a paperclip size hole. This could be placed under the charging flap (just make sure you dont stick the paperclip in the wrong hole!). Im sure LLC could find a nice place to put it. Altho, the best fix, would be to get rid of the need to reboot your segway.

gotseg?

No profit grows where is no pleasure ta'en:
In brief, sir, study what you most affect.
gotseg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 11:46 AM   #9
Phil
Phil is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

What usually leads up to the need for a reboot?
I seem to remember that it is trying to restart the HT too soon after the previous shutdown, is this correct/
If not what has been your results regarding what "causes" the need to reboot. How can i force my HT to need a reboot?
I'm trying to recreate this problem.
Help me,....

Phil Webb
"Cherry IT Driver"

Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 02:20 PM   #10
Ground Loop
Ground Loop is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Phil: You have the right idea.. it's usually (not always) caused by putting a new key in before the Segway is fully off. Others have reported that it can happen even after an overnight rest, but my own experience has been just on quick restarts.

Unfortunately, this is pretty common when giving demos, switching from the red key to black and back. I'm usually in a bit of a rush anyway, which doesn't help.

Just keep powering up and down and you'll see it.
Ground Loop is offline   Reply With Quote