SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 12-07-2010, 05:26 PM   #1
segaddict
segaddict is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Question Anyone with Segway air travel experience

I have an I2, but contemplating purchasing a Generation 1 Segway, so that I can travel on the airlines with non-lithium batteries.

For anyone that has traveled airlines with their Segway, how do you manage to get the Segway into a rental car or cab at the airport to reach your destination?

I cannot pick-up a Segway by myself and traveling with ramps seems totally impracticle?

I would appreciate knowing someones creativity to avoid that situation.

Thanks.
segaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:44 PM   #2
mgalliani

I called the cab company (in NY) and told them I had a Segway that I used as a mobility device and they sent a van with a lift to pick me up. I set it all up in advance. It was no different then traveling with a wheelchair or a scooter.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:49 PM   #3
bruneje
bruneje is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

i travel with a Gen1 equipped with a quick release and cargo handles. When I get to the plane door, I take the CS off, this takes about a minute with the quick release.

With the CS removed it fits in the trunk of most taxi's. The cargo handles make it easy for the driver to pick up the platform and put it into the trunk or in back of the van. I travelled with it in Europe where most taxi's are smaller and it fit in just about every one of them, the luggage my wife brought was more of an issue :>)
bruneje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:51 AM   #4
Tarkus
Tarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruneje View Post
i travel with a Gen1 equipped with a quick release and cargo handles. When I get to the plane door, I take the CS off, this takes about a minute with the quick release.

With the CS removed it fits in the trunk of most taxi's. The cargo handles make it easy for the driver to pick up the platform and put it into the trunk or in back of the van. I travelled with it in Europe where most taxi's are smaller and it fit in just about every one of them, the luggage my wife brought was more of an issue :>)
Good advise.

As far a loading into a rental I've done well slipping five bucks to the kid on the lot.

Be Big,
AMAC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:20 PM   #5
segaddict

5 yr Member
Talking thank you

Thanks for the reply regarding your ideas and your experience.

John
Old 12-08-2010, 06:23 PM   #6
segaddict

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgalliani View Post
I called the cab company (in NY) and told them I had a Segway that I used as a mobility device and they sent a van with a lift to pick me up. I set it all up in advance. It was no different then traveling with a wheelchair or a scooter.

Thank you.

John
Old 12-08-2010, 06:25 PM   #7
segaddict

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruneje View Post

Thank you.

John