SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 12-03-2003, 10:31 PM   #1
PamSi
PamSi

5 yr Member
Default Will I EVER get used to it?

I read all the wonderful postings from happy owners and I wonder why I am having so much trouble.
I have arthritis in my hip, which also affects my knees. I usually walk with a cane, but even then a couple of blocks is difficult. I am a very active 50 year old who will have to wait a while for new hip joint. I ride a recumbant bike and do water aerobics often. I thought the Segway would give me a great way to be outside to do errands and have fun here in mild and sunny downtown Sacramento. Instead I am terrified of falling and so stiff that I am miserable by the time I come home from a 1 hour glide. I have the P, and in a month have only recharged the battery 3 times.
I feel like a fool for having spent so much money and wonder - will I get used to it?
Or should I sell it?
PamSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 11:25 PM   #2
QuadSquad
QuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member

Hi PamSi,

I can only tell you that I equate riding the segway similarly to other activities that you don't do on a consistent basis. For my perspective before acquiring my segway last March my only means of mobility was in a wheelchair. Since acquiring it, I began using it every day, but obviously in the beginning I was only able to use it in a very limited means. This did not dissuade me, and over time I have become much stronger and consequently can use it more and more. Eventually, instead of being a means of mobility that I could use on occasion it has become my primary means of mobility. I know that everyone's disability is different, and so my experience may not be the same as yours, however, since you've only had it a month I would encourage you to continue to use it as frequently as possible and for as long as possible, and I think that you will find that you will become conditioned to use it in a manner that you will find not only very satisfying but also very liberating. The body sometimes takes time to acquaint itself with new things. Be patient, and I think you'll find it will pay off.

As always, if I can be of any service please feel free to e-mail me.
QuadSquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 11:35 PM   #3
NLKotter
NLKotter

5 yr Member

Pam,
Why do you feel terrified of falling? Is it a matter of your own body stability, your confidence in your Segging abilities, concern about the machine doing something unexpected, or something else? Perhaps if you tell us what drives that fear, the forum could offer suggestions on how to overcome it?

Perhaps another owner in your area could join you for some brief rides and coach you on your riding style. I've read some of your other posts (like the one about the railroad tie) and can understand that you're a little nervous - but if anyone here can give you a hand in overcoming the worry, we'll be happy to! It takes some time to understand the machine and what upsets it (like quick power requests when the machine can't provide it - sounds like that's what happened with your railroad tie shutdown). Did you receive formal training?

It's not uncommon to feel stiff after your first few weeks (at least) of riding. I know during my first month or so of riding - when my rides were about 20 minutes long - my ankles would ache. You're standing still, but your muscles that support your joints (toes, ankles, knees, hips) are all active and acting like shock absorbers when you ride. If you're riding for an hour at a time, that's an awfully long time, especially when you're suffering from arthritis. You're pretty much standing still - you're not making big movements like when you walk - but your muscles and joints are still working hard to stabilize you. Would you feel the same kind of stiffness if you went and stood still for an hour?

You're an active person, but maybe your muscles are working differently when you Seg vs. when you do your other activities. Would you be up to trying some shorter rides for a week or two? Maybe go out for 10 minutes, once or twice a day - get out and enjoy the sunshine and take a spin around the block, but don't overtax yourself. Ride gently - both to take care of your body and to get used to the machine in "normal" circumstances. Avoid ANY obstacles - just ride on flat pavement or smooth sidewalks.

See how that feels after a couple weeks, and then you'd be in a better position to decide if you still want your Segway. Don't be so tough on yourself - I think everyone adapts to the machine differently.

You've got lots of enthusiasm about the Segway - your posts reflect that - and perhaps your first hands on impressions haven't quite lived up to what you had expected. Take some time, ride gently and for shorter periods of time, and then see what you think.

Good luck!

Nancy
NLKotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 11:42 PM   #4
Sunday
Sunday is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

I walk everywhere, and so I consider myself to be in reasonably good shape. After I rode a Segway for the first time, my calves were sore, and my back was a little tight too. I realized that when i walk, I'm not using great balance. The soreness you are experiencing is most likely the result of all of those little muscles that control balance being used more than they're used too.

Give it a few more months. If you don't like it, you could probably trade it for a go-one. www.go-one.biz will get you to their site. They used to have a distributor in California.

Sunday

Segway-more fun than you can stand!
Sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 08:18 PM   #5
PamSi
PamSi

5 yr Member

Thanks so much.
Nancy, your post was especially helpful. Never really occurred to me that an hour was a long glide!
I am afraid of falling because I don't want to get hurt. But also because I cannot get up off the ground without using something to pull or push myself up. So I would have to crawl or scoot over to a wall or fence or bench to haul myself up. Not a pretty picture. The last time I rode a regular bike I stopped at a stop light and was unable to get my foot to go down to the ground to support me. I ever so gradually and ever so publicly fell over onto the pavement and had to reassure the many people who came to my rescue that I was AOK except for a bruised ego. I am very visible on the Segway, and would be even more embarrassed.
I will keep gliding and try to be content with briefer excursions for the time being.
;&gt Pam
Old 12-05-2003, 08:24 PM   #6
NLKotter
NLKotter

5 yr Member

Pam,
Ah... give the shorter rides a chance - you may be much happier!

Maybe you could strap some kind of a walking stick or other gadget to your control shaft, so that in the off chance you do fall, you could use it to help prop/pull yourself up? It wouldn't be quite as stable as a fence or other stationary object, though. You know best what will work for you.

I'm willing to bet that after some shorter rides and practice, you'll get comfortable to the point that you won't have to worry about falling at all. Particularly if you ride with a friend (who may be walking, segging or otherwise getting around) you can experiment a bit - ONLY as you're comfortable - to push the machine's limits (and yours) a little and see more of the range of Segway response. If you see a shutdown a few times in a mostly-controlled environment (and where you have someone on hand to spot you or help you up) you'll get even more familiar with how to modify your riding style to maximize your changes of a fall-free (and segway fault-free) ride.

Take care!

Nancy

:-)
NLKotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 03:39 AM   #7
SegwayUtah
Advanced Member
SegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really nice

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Pam,

This doesn't really have much to do with you as much as it does all of our less abled friends who buy Segway HTs.

Here's my advice: get the i-series. The i-series Segway is easier to trust and quite a bit smoother of a ride. The p-series is the "dancer" Segway in my mind, the one that responds with one's body and with which you can feel the bumps and things. It's meant mostly for sidewalks. The i-series is the "father" Segway in my mind, the one that you can fully trust and that protects your knees from the jostle of the small bumps below

That said, many less abled people can do great things on a p-series. My first recommendation, though, is the i-series.

Chris
SegwayUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 03:01 PM   #8
PamSi
PamSi

5 yr Member

Thanks, Chris, but I am not at all interested in the I.
With other outdoor exercise the muscles get warmer and I get relief from the stiffness. So I tried moving my feet and legs often, especially at stop lights, etc. Just moving one foot forward and the other back, rocking, bending my knees, etc, REALLY seems to help. And I am now taking a sit down break after 1/2 hour gliding. That also is quite helpful.
Had wonderful 3 mile glides both Saturday and Sunday - went downtown with my partner, walking and just enjoyed the beautiful sunny weather OUTSIDE like I always used to when I walked 3 or 4 miles every day!This is really what I wanted the Segway for - to return to a normal walking pace so that I can continue to be with my friends and family outside.
Old 12-10-2003, 02:20 PM   #9
BruceWright
Advanced Member
BruceWright is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

That's great Pam!

Here's to more great glides.

-Bruce Wright

Segway: Vehicle of Dream
BruceWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 08:00 PM   #10
SegwayBill
SegwayBill

5 yr Member

Foot pads from Wayne will soften your ride. The P model has bit of a hard ride and the pad will improve your comfort.

Bill
SegwayBill is offline   Reply With Quote