SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 09-27-2003, 04:12 AM   #1
Okeechobee Wind
Okeechobee Wind

5 yr Member
Default Locations that Do/DoNot allow Segways for Disabled

I would like to use a HT for transportation throughout Disney World. My ability to traverse the park is limited to short distances. This makes enjoying any of the theme parks or other areas impossible without some sort of assisted transportation. I use a lightweight Sonic three wheel scooter manufactured by Pride mobility for this purpose with few if any problems. Disney World transportation is set up to handle this form of assistance.
Dose anyone have further information as to Disney Worlds stance on the use of the Segway HT for the sole purpose of transporting persons with walking disabilities?
Okeechobee Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 12:46 AM   #2
jrmiller
jrmiller

5 yr Member

Hey Okee.... A while back I mentioned that I had spent a day at Univeresal studios in Orlando. This apparently was enough to stir the pot re Disney. Someone stated that Disney would NOT let you into the Kingdom on an HT. You had to rent one of theire mobility devices. A case of it good enough for us to use, but do not you ( the Public )even think about bringing in an HT of your own. I do not recall if the issue was ever resolved, so if you are going to the mouse house, you might call ahead soas to avoid any surprises. If you do go, PLEASE post your results here, many are interested. SEG Right .. SEG ON JR
jrmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 01:56 AM   #3
Okeechobee Wind
Okeechobee Wind

5 yr Member

Hi JR,

It has been said that WDW will allow the Seg to be utilized as a bicycle type apparatus.

There are areas such as in Fort Wilderness where golf carts and bicycles are the norm. Even these forms of transportation are limited to posted areas.

My questions are directed for persons utilizing the Segway as a mobility enhancement. We are dealing with different forms and levels of disability. The person who may be in post or pre op. status for a knee or hip is enabled to walk any distance throughout the Disney property.
In the past they have waived rules in some areas against electric two wheel scooters since the operator was unable to walk without difficulty and held a registered disabled parking permit.
I have spinal injury that has caused an inability to walk any distance. Some days are better than others. Arthritis complicates this condition throughout all major joints of my limbs.
I can still ride a motorcycle or anything else with powered wheels. Notice I say powered, because riding a bicycle has its limitations. The best way to do this is have my canine companion power the bike when it gets stressful.
I am not in the worst shape but by far I am not in the best of shape. I do have a three-wheeled electric scooter chair, which is the only way I can traverse the Disney property. If I where to go to Epcot after taking WDW transportation, I am not able to walk half way to the lake or circular path. I certainly cannot backtrack unless I sit for an hour or so to return to the monorail or bus.
Allowing me to utilize the Segway for my transportation would allow me continue to enjoy my freedom of movement and not be forced to sit in a chair that I need not utilize fully at this time.

One of the ways the two wheeled scooter manufactures have chosen to get around the regulations invoked on them is to add training wheels.
I wonder if a set of front or rear wheels on spring steel stalks that do not limit the freedom of the Segway to react as it is suppose to would allow the unit to be transformed into a legal form of disability transportation.

Food for thought.
Okeechobee Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 09:35 AM   #4
jrmiller
jrmiller

5 yr Member

Hey Okee.... "And not be forced to be in a wheel chair" I have Parkinsons Disease and I too have good days and some not so good days. I am not ready for a "chair" or chair like motorized device and I bristle at the thought of someone telling me what kind of device is best for me other than my Neurologist (not just some employee of a amusement attraction). I like you can walk in a limited fashion with good and not so good days and the HT is perfect for me. It's kind of like a interum nich form those of us not ready for chairs but unable to function on a longer duration in the mobility mode unassisted. Check some of the other posts in this area and there is a groing number of "us" in this nitch. Lete me know how the WDW thing worrks out. I live about 2 hours driving time from the aea and am interested in a first hand account. Thanks JR SEG-right SEG- ON
Old 09-28-2003, 10:07 AM   #5
Stewbonz
Stewbonz will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Perhaps the next Segway convention could be held at Disneyland?

JEFF JARVIS
Carmel Valley Ca
Stewbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 02:04 AM   #6
jrmiller
jrmiller

5 yr Member

Hey Stew.... RIIIGHHT, but you know, I bet the almighty dollar would get in the way and WDW would figure out a way to make eveeryone rent one of theirs while on the premisis. A good thought about the location, how about around late Jan or early Feb, bet there would be a big turnout from the northern contigent. Anyway, have a good day and SEG-Right SEG- ON JR
Old 09-30-2003, 04:00 PM   #7
BruceWright
Advanced Member
BruceWright is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I urge you to call the Walt Disney World Resort Disabled Guest Information line:

(407) 939-7807

Let us know how it goes.

-Bruce Wright

Segway: Vehicle of Dream
BruceWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 10:11 PM   #8
fredkap
fredkap will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

QuadSquad has written very eloquently on this subject. I don't want to quote him but contact him, he has been extremely successful. As many of you know he has obtained permission for the qualified disabled to ride all the way to the entrance of an airplane.

Good luck!

Fred
fredkap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 10:40 PM   #9
jrmiller
jrmiller

5 yr Member

Heey Ochee..wind Did you ever make the trip to WDW? Let me know and I am sure that there are lots of others whom would be interested also. Quadsquad.... YOURE THE MAN. I also broke new groung with Southwest Air . I was their first Segway passenger and I had to educate them RE: Segway HT. They got the FAA involved as to what procedures to follow and what was permitted. I also was permitted to ride to the planes doorway. SEG RIGHT SEG ON JR
Old 10-20-2003, 02:24 PM   #10
BruceWright
Advanced Member
BruceWright is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Yesterday I saw a higher-speed assistive device inside Disneyland. It was going around 6MPH, which is faster than I've seen assistive scooters go inside the park. I'm not sure how quickly the device was capable of travelling. It wasn't a Disney-owned device.

It was obvious to me that a Segway on a black key would be less obtrusive than that.

-Bruce Wright

Segway: Vehicle of Dream
BruceWright is offline   Reply With Quote