SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 02-13-2004, 02:48 AM   #1
ksal
ksal

5 yr Member
Default Segway barred at Gulfstream Park

I recently was barred from bringing my Segway into Gulfstream Park. There were other mobility devices, both 3 and 4 wheeled racing around the park but they wouldn't let me in.
I would be willing to file a lawsuit to challenge their ruling if someone could recommend an attorney in the South Florida area who is willing to do this as a test case.

Kathryn A Salmanson
ksal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 10:36 AM   #2
jrmiller
jrmiller

5 yr Member

Ksal, I can not believe that you are having all these problems. I live in the TArponSpg. area of W Central FL and I have not had any problems with the HT on any outings! You by FL statute should be able to go anywhere a bicycle is permitted to go. If I can locate the statute and make a copy of it , Would you like it? You could carry it with you when you seg er... glide to inform the uninformed about the use of the HT. Quadsquad has very eloquently written abut this recently. Go to the disscusion page and look for a posting dated 2-4-04, The Segway HT & the ADA. Very well written. With that article and a copy of the FL. statute, you should be all set. You may have legal grounds for action if they do not allow you in the park after becomming "INFORMED" ! Let me know how it goes. :&gt JR
jrmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 10:39 AM   #3
jrmiller
jrmiller

5 yr Member

Hey Ksal, I just realized that the article is just below this one, about 4 or 5. GO FOR IT JR
Old 02-13-2004, 11:54 AM   #4
jrmiller
jrmiller

5 yr Member

Greetings again Ksasl, Well I now have in my hot little hands a copy of the Fl Statute that defines "Electric Peersonal Assisteve Mobility Device" and the statute for "Electric personal assistive mobility devices;regulations". Statutes are: 316.003 and 316.2068 respectively. I can fax you copies of both if you wish, but since there is no e-mail address for you I can not send them to you. OR... You caan fire up the computer and try: Statutes&Constitution:ViewStatutes:flsenate.gov See if that works, if not contact me :&gt JR
Old 02-13-2004, 12:01 PM   #5
jrmiller
jrmiller

5 yr Member

Me again, try http://flsenate.gov/Statutes/index JR
Old 02-13-2004, 09:46 PM   #6
ksal
ksal

5 yr Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jrmiller

Ksal, I can not believe that you are having all these problems. I live in the TArponSpg. area of W Central FL and I have not had any problems with the HT on any outings! You by FL statute should be able to go anywhere a bicycle is permitted to go. If I can locate the statute and make a copy of it , Would you like it? You could carry it with you when you seg er... glide to inform the uninformed about the use of the HT. Quadsquad has very eloquently written abut this recently. Go to the disscusion page and look for a posting dated 2-4-04, The Segway HT & the ADA. Very well written. With that article and a copy of the FL. statute, you should be all set. You may have legal grounds for action if they do not allow you in the park after becomming "INFORMED" ! Let me know how it goes. :&gt JR
Kathryn A Salmanson
Old 02-13-2004, 09:47 PM   #7
ksal
ksal

5 yr Member

Gulfstream Park is a privately owned establishment. It is not a public park. It is a racetrack. Maybe they are barring 2 wheeled mobility devices just like Disney is. I sure would like to see the statutes though.

Kathryn A Salmanson
Old 02-13-2004, 09:49 PM   #8
ksal
ksal

5 yr Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jrmiller

Greetings again Ksasl, Well I now have in my hot little hands a copy of the Fl Statute that defines "Electric Peersonal Assisteve Mobility Device" and the statute for "Electric personal assistive mobility devices;regulations". Statutes are: 316.003 and 316.2068 respectively. I can fax you copies of both if you wish, but since there is no e-mail address for you I can not send them to you. OR... You caan fire up the computer and try: Statutes&Constitution:ViewStatutes:flsenate.gov See if that works, if not contact me :&gt JR
Kathryn A Salmanson
Old 02-13-2004, 09:51 PM   #9
ksal
ksal

5 yr Member

It would seem to me after reading these two statutes that they do not apply to a privately owned establishment. It would be like a mall where there are interior buildings and other public areas.

Kathryn A Salmanson
Old 02-13-2004, 11:22 PM   #10
jrmiller
jrmiller

5 yr Member

Ksal, did you get to read the statutes? If you have a fax, I will sent you what I have,a reduced in size paper with the 2 statutes front and back. "&gt JR