SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Tours and Rentals

Notices

Tours and Rentals Issues, experiences & opinions relating to Segway rentals and tours.

Old 10-23-2004, 12:24 AM   #1
ljminor
ljminor

5 yr Member
Default interested in starting a guided tour business

I appreciate the guidance you can give about starting a rental business. My questions are specific.
Do you use GPS? If yes, what is the start-up and operational cost?
Who did you use for insurance, and what coverage would your recommend?
What are your maintenance issues and cost?
Would your share your chart of accounts and the expense ratios for each item? i.e. maintenance 5%
Percentage of hourly versus daily versus monthly renters.
Any other information you think is important to know.

Thank you in advance.

LeRoy Minor
ljminor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 04:10 PM   #2
Florida Ever-Glides
Florida Ever-Glides will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member SegwayFest Attendee

How about I just lay out for all of the hard work it takes to safely start up a Segway guided tour business. NOT. do your own homework. I doubt that anyone here who has sweated to put together a succesful business is willing to 'just hand it over' on a silver platter. Who are you anyway???

Tom Jacobson
http://www.floridaever-glides.com
Florida Ever-Glides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 03:36 PM   #3
Segman61
Segman61

5 yr Member

LeRoy,

Magic Scooter does have a Rental Info. Packet available for purchase to help with exactly what you need to start and run a successful Rental business.

We also include 24 hr. support for any questions that may arise. Even an opportunity to have a trained Magic Scooter employee come to your location for some hands-on training for you and your employees!

If you would like more info. please email me at [email protected]

I am SEGMAN!
Segman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 01:10 AM   #4
ljminor
ljminor

5 yr Member

Thanks to both for your replies.

Actually, Tom this (my question)was part of my due dilligence. I have looked at the demographics, tried to compare RMA data for a virtually new industry etc. And tried to get ratios to help make some decisions. I know it must have been even harder for your when you began your endeavor, and was simply asking questions. I noticed from your response to other questions that you in particular wanted more specifics, so I asked specific questions. Just looking for a little help.

Nevertheless, SegCity Tours has beat me out the gate and my research, of this small market suggest there is just not enough venues nor the market for two Segway tours in my town.
ljminor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 04:28 PM   #5
Gliding Revolution
Gliding Revolution

5 yr Member

Gliding Revolution will be offering information that will help in starting a Segway touring company beginning September 9th, 2005. We do not recommend rentals! Yes, there will be a charge for the information that will include a booklet of information and hands on training at our facility. We are not experts in the business with just over one year of experience,but we believe we can provide valuable stastics and guidlines to follow. We guarantee an exciting overview of our business plan that will include watching our tours and participation.

Contact partners@glidingrevolution to schedule your business vacation.

Shay Reynolds
Gliding Revolution

Shay Reynolds
Gliding Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 04:19 PM   #6
Mr_Laurenzano
Mr_Laurenzano will become famous soon enoughMr_Laurenzano will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Heres something from a old post of mine...Have fun.

Mr.L

• AREA OF TRANSPORTATION- MODE
• Private property#1- The use on private property has been positive and accepted within all genres. The proving grounds per say. While using the Segway HT in my community each property owner has “called me over” to experience the HT and with each user I have found 100% acceptability after an education session.
• Streets without sidewalks#1- Many of the areas within my community are without sidewalks. An early developmental aspect that has mixed cars with pedestrians in what I have experienced as a “Share the Road” attitude. This has been passed down through the generations. The individuals who reside in this community have no apprehensions with the HT use in the Greater Shell Beach Area. The tourism community that resides on the weekends and holidays take a greater fascination and are identifiable by their “Deer in the headlights” Stance they take while walking through the area.
• Streets with sidewalks#1- As you move south along Hi-way 1toward Pismo Beach the atmosphere changes to negotiation with not only locals but those who are not from this area. The major concentrations of people are those who are walking, jogging or bike ridding to enjoy the coast line. Those who are traveling back and forth to either eateries or enjoying the community art and ambiance of the central coast area are identifiable and calculated in weekend and weekday evaluations.
• Sidewalks#1- As an emotional issue the sidewalk is a sanctuary for those who wish to take it slow. They are a place where you can be free from cars and the “Hustle and bustle.” Of the real world travel. The sidewalks are choice and sanctuary for those who wish to “Moessy” around. As a Segway user I have found that the individuals on a weekday versus the individuals on weekends differ greatly in their acceptability of the Segway and the rider operating IT.
• Bike Lanes#ECT- Always acceptable by Curb Hopping (*1a- o) Max Height 8 Inches, Stairs with greater than 14 inches of level ground are also compatible either “Crub Hopping"
• Crosswalks#ECT- 98% of the curbs in the towns, descending north from Avila Beach to Grover Beach, excluding all the Excessionary accesses are equipped for transitional mobility by all known transportation devices. (*2a- o)
• Intersection bike rules#ECT- When traveling in the bike lane, there is a flow of traffic, as either a bike rider, skateboarder, EMPAD, walker user or cane user, the negotionalabilty of such users are compromised with the inability to identify a “Hindsight” (*3a- o) vehicle with respect and consideration to audible identification of that vehicle. The Segway HT with its low noise and quiet operation has the ability to become an “opposite side of the sidewalk” (*4a- o)transportation device
• Library's #WARNING- The operation of the Segway HT within a library is not acceptable and should not in any way be a transitional device for mobility within the entrance and exit of a library environment.
• Dirt trails#1- Walking paths and dirt trails are nothing more than the availability of taking one “Off the beaten path”. The incorporation of the Segway HT has promising aspects when it comes to this type of environment. While on a path that is heavily to sparsely agriculture I have found that the Segway HT with its no emission capability is friendly and non-environmentally impacting. It widens the trails to a space that is inhabitable by all pedestrians (*5a- o) in cross direction pedestrian travel.
• Parks#1- All areas of parks is 100% useable. Co-inhabitable by all users of such areas. The relaxed environment of a park setting makes it capable to stop and talk with the individuals who have questions and offer demos to those who ask.
• Parking Lots#ECT- Parking is a pass by pedestrian area. Individuals within these areas are granted the right of way and have privileges equal to the handicapped community. Operation of the Segway HT should only be utilized in a parking lot area when there is a designated area for the Segway HT to park and charge.
• Piers#- No problems or citations. Local rules indicate that no motor vehicles are allowed on the pier but I have seen many county and city vehicles drive on the pier. The weight of the Segway HT and speed that it is driven has in no way destroyed any aspect of commuter traffic or emergency vehicle passage. No faster than 5 mph is recommended due to the uneven nature of pier construction (Black key)
• Golf Courses#1 #PRO}
• Walk a course
• Vegas
• Hard Course
• SEGWAY A MARSH
• Beach Access#1 ECT SUB ONE – The beach being the most open area for transportation. Negotiating the terrain takes concentration and accuracy in competence of operation of the Segway HT(*6a- o) has proven to be most accessible during low tide. There are three types of beach terrain in the central coast area.
1. Small Rock- less than one millimeter stones are not advisable to trek on. They cause the current standard tires to not grab and sliding on even a 2% grade is marked by acceleration. These areas are apparent in the Shell Beach area and in Cayucos. Most of these areas are limited access due to the cliffs and rock formations. These areas are not advisable to use.
2. Sand- Sand has a consistency in the fore dune, beach and coastal tide areas which varies and is travelable, respectively, with respect to terrain. While in the fore dune areas the Segway HT user should acknowledge the limitations of balance and deep dry sand operation (*7a- o) The power assist mode should be used and has proven to be a easy and acceptable way to move the Human Transporter though such areas. While on flat beach areas the Segway HT should be operated at a slow surgical rate (*8a- o) if the sand is wind blown or riddled with foot traffic a slow surgical rate will facilitate the transition to the coastal tide area.
3. Wet Sand and ocean tides- To better enjoy the Segway HT operation within the areas of wet sand and ocean (*9a- o) the user of the Segway HT must first negotiate the above aspects of beach accessibility. Once a COMPENTANCY (*10a –o) of the user has been established operation in all other areas will prove to be fluid and the full enjoyment within the central coast area will be apparent.
• College Campus#ECT SUB ONE AND TWO- Test site designated to be Cal Poly Tech San Luis Obispo. Prior to students arriving at the campus I conducted tests of accessibility of the campus. Not knowing where the handicapped accesses were I found that the common handicapped, or wheelchair bound individual has to travel farther and out of the common areas to achieve the same educational areas that are offered to the pedestrian community of Cal Poly. I applied for a job while I was there and found that there is not a need or I was not qualified to obtain the position of “Meter maid”
• Malls#ECT- My first experience in a mall atmosphere was greeted with a security guard telling me that “you can’t ride that in here”. I asked him “Why Not?”. He told me, and I quote, “If I let you ride that in here I’ll have to let everyone ride it in here.” I saw this a direct infringement of my personal right to mobilize myself anyway I see fit and I told him, “I am a disabled veteran” (11a- o) He immediately recanted his rhetoric to say “Oh I’m sorry I didn’t know” Thus the education and education and informative conversation has prevailed as a mode of “Making it happen”
• Stores - CONTRACTUAL / AGREEMENT. The operation of the Segway HT with any store is the sole decision of the current management on the floor. If the individual riding the Segway HT is there buying any Item then the leeway should be given to a responsible rider without concern.
• Schools#1, ECT, SUB TWO- Within a school environment the attention to the children is imperative. The area where a Segway is ridden (*11a- o) should be cordon off to allow the rider to operate the vehicle in a proper mannor. If the child is under the age 14 there should be great attention taken to the size and weight of the child as to prevent any injury resulting from the loss of “Balance” if a child is allowed to operate the vehicle with little or no guidance the result from exceeding the balance limitations may result in not only the injury of the child but the injury of bystanders. Operation by children under 14- should only be conducted with markers or a “Track” that would facilitate the observation of the operator of the vehicle as so a determination could be made to base the competence of the child while using the Segway HT.
• Court Houses, #%( COMPARISON TO SIZE AND WORK LOAD ) – The opportunity in a court house to use the Segway HT is only achievable by two methods.
• Council – Use by council members to be evaluated.
• Participant- As an accused individual the opportunity to use the Segway HT to the benefit of such person is applicable, beneficial or detrimental, to the current situation of the individual. If used to consortium a consensus the beneficial aspects of the vehicle will show apparent at any trial after the user of the HT takes the time to find if a

• CONTINUITY BETWEEN AREAS OF TRANSPORTATION- MODULATION
• Integrated use of the Segway HT- With respect to the understanding that this a vehicle that has been recalled fore safety of what appeared to be unsafe has been "federally" acknowledged the personal use and personality of the acceptance of such a mode of transportation have founded my observances to be some of the most recognizable safety features with great respect to the modulation and motility aspects of the Segway HT. This vehicle between the areas listed in sections (General Use) and section (#ECT#) have lead me to believe that the future incorporation and use of this vehicle could have a great socio-economic, aspect within the central coast area with great respect to the prevalence of a alternative mode of transportation
• ACCESSIBILITY AND ATTENTION OF CONTINUITY WITH RESPECT TO CONGESTION AND CROWD SIZE- MOTILITY- (Define) In a congested area such as the downtown Pismo Beach area and areas around the central coast on peek tourism times the availability and functionality of the Segway HT has proven to be a social and professional mode of transportation. With the proper TRAINING/COMPENTANCY (*10a –o1). The use of the Segway HT can provide the user to cover more ground and “Sight Seeing” with greater ease and mobility. Acceptance with in any said store or restaurant should be personally taken up with the owner and as a rule the mobility and restrictions there of to any individual using the Segway HT should be evaluated by the store owner at the time of entrance to their facility.
• STREET ACCESS VERSES SIDEWALK ACCESS-TRANSITION WITH DIRECT RELATIONSHIP TO "MODULATION"- In transitional areas the operation of the Segway HT should be confided and respected with the notions of “Loss of Traction”. In the event that the Segway HT should become presented with a negotionable area of transition is the operator’s full responsibility to address the area with a change in Segway function. Using the “Power Assist Mode” the operator should with “Both Hands” Maneuver the vehicle in a fashion that will not damage IT or endanger the individuals around IT.

• ACCEPTABILITY VS. UNDERSTANDING WITH DIRECT ATTRIBUTES OF PERSONAL CONFIDENCE- MENACE-
• There are five ways to identify a individual that is riding a Segway HT outside the training limitations
• Lack of attention of the surrounding environment within a 3 foot circular area fore and aft.
• Talking while moving with any other mode of transportation
• On coming traffic
• Dogs
• Joggers

• SAFTY FEATURES
• IF IN THE EVENT OF ANY SAID OR UNSAID STIPULATIONS-
Give it away- ARL copywrite 2003 OCT

Segway-
Half the speed of a car,
Twice as Smart.
www.centralcoastsegwave.com
Mr_Laurenzano is offline   Reply With Quote