SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:40 AM   #11
Tarkus
Tarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Amen to that Lily.

I just cringe at the financial gains. I always fear that we will be seen in the same light as "Access Now". Good mission poor tactics .

Keep at it and thanks.

Be Big,
AMAC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 06:46 PM   #12
Rolacoy
Rolacoy will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

I agree the guy and his lawyer suck. There is a lawyer joke where tow farmers have a dispute over Cow. One is holding a rope around it's neck and the other is holding the tail. the lawyer is milking the Cow. I don't know what "Access Now" is. I don't like to be a "campaigner" either, and I feel sorry for businesses who are burdened with all of the government rules, but all we are asking for is a chance.

If there is a Zoo and I want to go see what everyone is seeing, I paid my taxes too, and it does not place the Zoo at any disadvantage or harm anyone else I want to go. I could walk but it would wear me out and I would not enjoy it as much as if I rode the Segway.
Rolacoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 04:38 PM   #13
Pkelley
Pkelley is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I have taken the ask, for forgiveness, approach and have not been challenged. All the work that has gone before me is paying off. The guy that is using the law to make a living needs to go to jail. He is painting all of us that benefit from ADA legislation look bad. I think the law should be used for the grater good not as a shakedown tool.
Pkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:06 PM   #14
Suzined
Suzined is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I would really be surprised if any law enforcement officer in Texas would care. By asking if it is permissible, you immediately get into someone's administrative section. There is a joke going around that I prayed for a sportscar and got nothing. So I stole one and I'm praying for foregiveness. Meanwhile, awaiting a knock on my door, I'm enjoying the sports car.

Once during a seriously misspent youth, I carried a State Bar of Texas card.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:09 AM   #15
Rolacoy

5 yr Member

We are at a state park in the south part of New Orleans tonight. When I checked in they told me they were ok to ride. A month or so ago I called the state office of Louisiana of the parks and they said no. I guess it is up to how the park people feel on a given day. in the morning we are going to the city park where I was told it was Segway friendly. We will see.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:50 PM   #16
Rolacoy

5 yr Member
Default Trip to New Orleans

We just returned home this afternoon after spending three days in New Orleans, LA. I was told that we could not use them in any state parks about 3 months ago. When I checked into the park at Bayou Segnette State Park I was told that we could ride in the park. We did, my brother-in-law rode all over the park. We made no mention of my being handi-caped.

The first day we took them to the city park. My brother-in-law and I rode them all over the park with no problems. In the park there is a sculpture park, botanical garden, an art museum and a storybook park. First the art museum, we did not even try. The "stuff shirted" ladies who were in charge there would had a heart attack if we would have even asked, we did not. However, we could have used them inside the museum with no problem, there were wheelchair ramps and elevators.

The art world is a strange place, I know, I am an artist. Many of us artists are pretty flakey. But, when you get to the museums they seem to be operated by high society stuff shirts. In the studio we may listen to loud music, sling paint everywhere and have all kind of crazy ideas. In the museums it is like a muslim, funny! I guess someone has to keep the lid on and act like adults. Sorry, that is off the subject.

We went into the sculpture park, it is probably 5 acres of paved paths. Along these paths are many sculptures, metal stone, etc. I had gone 50' and here came a 30 something lady security. I immediately approached her on my Segway and started asking her about some of the sculptures. I did this to through her off. She was very nice, said that she was new and didn't know much about the art works that were in the park. We proceeded on viewing the sculptures and got about 2/3 of the way thru the exhibits. Here she cam back and told that her boss told her to come and tell us that we would have to leave.

She was nice and I was was very nice to her. I did give her a printed partial copy of the new ADA law and asked her to give it to her boss. We had not made any attempt to be "handi-cap" persons. I did tell her that my wife and I have handi-cap cards. My brother-in-law were riding the Segways and our wives were walking. Wait, wait, we tried to get our wives to ride.

We did not try to go into the storybook park, because it was full of little kids and I did not want one of them to run into us and hurt them or us.

The botanical garden welcomed us to ride anyplace we wanted. Most of it was outside but we did ride inside a little. Of course most of the plants were not blooming, Winter time.

I highly recommend the New Orleans City Park. It covers 1300 acres, plenty of room to glide, many paths, lakes and ponds. It was really damaged during Katrina, but they are trying real hard to bring it back. I felt completely safe there.

The second day we left the Segways at the RV park and rode all but one of the street car routes to the very ends and back downtown. We did not ride out to the city park. We did ride to the cemetery, I don't recommend it. I never felt unsafe but it was boring and a lot of non-tourists were riding it. We rode the St. Charles line and it was long, 13 miles and 13 miles back, but it went thru the Garden District. It goes thru the area of a lot of the old homes. We also went down to the French Quarter and the market. We walked, I wished we had had the Segways. We were warned by several friends to be careful in the French Quarter, especially at night. I would have felt safe in the daytime on the Segways in the market and some of the French Quarter in the daylight. We were there till about dusk and I was ready to leave.

The third day the wives stayed at the RV park and sewed. My brother-in-law took the Segways into New Orleans. We wanted to tour the Garden District. We drove along Magazine Street. Magazine Street, to me and I know very little about New Orleans, seems old and slightly run-down. It must be 7 or 8 miles of shops, store front art studios, restaurants, etc. Very interesting for someone who was interested in shopping, not me. I would not want to be there after dark unless I was with several big guys. Magazine Street is narrow, slow and bumpy, but interesting to see.

We parked about 1/2 block off St. Charles Street, unloaded the Segways and spent about two hours gliding. Very pretty old big homes and lots of gardens in the yards. I have no concept of how much money you would have to have to buy, own and maintain one of those homes. It was well worth our time. Oh, but the work-out on the Segways. That was my first time to really just take off and tour. The sidewalks were terrible, broken, sloping, miss aligned, etc. The newer ones had wheelchair ramps, but the older corner curbs were sharp steel, maybe 4" high. Not for jumping up with a Segway or wheelchair. I felt no safety issue in the Garden District.

However in defense of the City of New Orleans, it must be nearly impossible to keep sidewalks because of the great Live Oaks. I am not a tree hugger, but I would not damage a one of the trees to make the sidewalks better. By the time we loaded the Segways back on our hauler we felt like we were Segway pros.

Sorry this was so long. Everyplace we went people were nice to us and we had a great time while in New Orleans. I would have liked to take them into the French Quarter, maybe another time.

Last edited by Rolacoy; 02-25-2011 at 12:26 AM..
Old 02-25-2011, 11:28 AM   #17
Paula465
Paula465 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Last weekend my husband and I went to Cumberland Island, GA for the day. It is a designated National Seashore. The only issue - and a minor one - was the ferry didn't have any particular place to store it and we didn't think to bring along a bungee cord to secure it (one is now part of my pack equipment).

The rangers were pleasant and accommodating, only requiring that I stick to the roads and not use the few foot-path only trails. Considering there weren't very many and the roads took me every where I wished to go, I was happy to comply. And a number of people questioned me about it's ease of use, stating they had parents with mobility issues and thought the segway would be just the thing for them.

I was also told I was their very first segway visitor. Considering that, I tried to be on my very best behavior to leave as favorable impression as I could. It must have worked for as I was leaving, one of the rangers approached me and said it had been a pleasure seeing me enjoy myself.

At the Dungeness ruins.

On the beach (my "footprint" was less invasive than those on foot)
Old 02-25-2011, 12:28 PM   #18
Rolacoy

5 yr Member

I would be concerned about going anyplace close to saltwater. Great pictures, I can not figure out how to place pictures online as you have done.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:14 PM   #19
Paula465
Paula465 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

You have to use a public hosting site like Photobucket or ImageShack. Upload your pictures from your computer there and then use the links provided.

I didn't get too near the surf and I wiped my segway down afterward. I like the model I use because the large tires give me a bit more height and they travel in sand really well - and considering much of Florida is beach and sand - thats a good thing *grins*
Old 02-27-2011, 12:34 PM   #20
Tarkus
Tarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolacoy View Post
I would be concerned about going anyplace close to saltwater. Great pictures, I can not figure out how to place pictures online as you have done.
No need to be worried.
My Segways have lived at the beach and on my boat in the salt never a problem.

Cumberland Island is interesting.
I have heard from those who have had problems and others that haven't . I was there about a year ago and had no issues.

I'm happy to hear that all went well there.

Be Big,
AMAC

Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote