SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 07-30-2010, 03:44 PM   #1
gracefuli
gracefuli is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default daily use, transport & storage?

Hi folks-
I would like more info on how you use your seg. Is it daily use? Do you keep it in/on your car at all times? Do you store until needed? Keep in house-garage?

i have been using it just for business trips- distance walking. But am thinking i may want to use it more often- shopping etc. Right now i store it plugged in at work...

Txs- grace
gracefuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 10:45 PM   #2
IcanGlide
IcanGlide is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

I use mine everyday on the job. I keep it plugged in just outside my office during the day and plugged in at home when I'm not at work. Really, wherever I go, malls, grocery store, or just plain shopping in general, I always use it. I don't like to keep it in the car for very long.

Frank
Old 07-31-2010, 06:26 AM   #3
fredkap
fredkap will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member
Default Segvator

Grace, if you can afford it, the Segvator is a great way to bring your Seg with you at all times.
fredkap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 07:06 AM   #4
mgalliani

I keep my I2 on my Prius (on my segway hauler) and I keep my XT at home for around the neighborhood stuff. My I2 has indoor tires and it goes with me everywhere. I have a power cord in my bag and I charge it where ever I am. My XT has big off-road tires and I use it around my yard and down to the lake (about ½ mile away) to fish.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:39 PM   #5
rwoynaro
rwoynaro is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default How do I use it ?

I use my I2 every day. I have a SegSaddle on it. I use the SegVator to haul it. I leave the Seg on the SegVator when not in use and just plug it in. The official Segway lock works good to lock it to the SegVator, it is pretty short IMO to be much use otherwise without some additional cables.

I glide from my car directly into my office every work day; I buzz around the building as needed to go to meetings, etc, and I take it into stores and malls. I have been to Phillies games with it, took it to see Tiger Woods play golf, the Philly Zoo and many other places. I have never had the slightest problem getting access with it anywhere and I have also never had any crowd or people issues at all; everyone has been extremely nice, friendly, but curious. I am prepared to spend a little extra time to talk cause every time I go somewhere, somebody has some questions. Cops have even stopped me and asked for my advice... I thought I was gonna get hassled, but they just wanted to know how well it worked. Maybe I am just lucky as I read posts of how other people have been hassled or bothered; I have never had an issue at all... knock on wood.
rwoynaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 05:03 PM   #6
gracefuli

5 yr Member
Default Plugged into electric?

When you say plug it in- do you mean into car segvator or to an outside electric cable? My gen1 seg never seems very happy when it stays on the segvator for more than a few hours. And i love the segvator- can't imagine how else to transport it!
Old 10-15-2010, 08:07 PM   #7
Tx-Rider
Tx-Rider is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

I use my segway just for fun. My dad and I ride on average, 6 miles a day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ps, stay away from squirrels...

Peace, Love, & Segways
Tx-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 03:03 AM   #8
eJM
Account Suspended
eJM will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracefuli View Post
When you say plug it in- do you mean into car segvator or to an outside electric cable? My gen1 seg never seems very happy when it stays on the segvator for more than a few hours. And i love the segvator- can't imagine how else to transport it!
I'm sure he meant plug it into an electrical outlet. I keep mine plugged in whenever I am not gliding, except when I have it in the car and the car is not running. I use a converter in the car for trips, but I also don't want to drain my car battery just to charge the Seg batteries.

I use my Seg every day for mobility assistance as well as for fun. Some may think I'm having too much fun on it to be handicapped. No rule against having fun on a mobility device.

I use a Chrysler Town & Country minivan to haul my Seg around. I made my own ramp because the average Segway ramp is way over-priced. I've since found nearly identical metal ramps for less than half the price, but my own ramp still works great after nearly 4 years.

Segways don't like cold, so I have to keep mine indoors. I have custom wheels and tires that some people refer to as off-road, but in fact, they are asphalt racing tires for ATVs and don't work well on the bike trails where I live. They do, however, work very well indoors and I have had no real problems gliding in and out of stores and other public, medical or commercial establishments anywhere I go in California and Nevada. I park it in my living room or inside wherever I am. I carry a power cord and no one has minded me plugging it in while it waits for me to come back to it.

Jim
eJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 03:20 PM   #9
cms1001
cms1001 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default I use a SCION XB

Its been adapted for WHEEL CHAIRS by www.FreedomMotors.com. I use it everyday.I have a lithium battery so I charge it every 12hrs.It's worth going to their website.
cms1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:36 PM   #10
gracefuli

5 yr Member

link didn't work- ??