SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Tours and Rentals

Notices

Tours and Rentals Issues, experiences & opinions relating to Segway rentals and tours.

Old 05-12-2003, 01:20 AM   #11
toybuilder
toybuilder is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by NEVrland

Insurance companies do not write policies for gas moped's so when you rent one your life is in your own hands, To many claims. The rental company is not thinking of the renter they are thinking of the quick dollar that can be made. Accidents happen but when you get on something from my company I will also cover you. It's a small price to pay to sleep at night.

I would love to see more locations open up but it needs to be done the right way. We have been doing electric vehicle rentals for 4 years.
Good point on the insurance. I've had one guy ask me if he could borrow my Segway to run an experiment and see how much they can get a tourist to cough up to get a ride on the Segway. I declined.

A lawyer once told me that the liability exposure changes when you charge people to use your Segway. While the Segway may itself be safe, there's no telling what a paniced rider can do to himself or to other people and/or property.

The only time I accepted money for the use of the Segway was with a company that wanted to borrow it for their own use, and they provided a statement that all damages and liabilities would be covered under their insurance.

http://www.pasadenasegway.com

The Segway is to a Moped like a Helicopter is to an Airplane.
toybuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 08:55 AM   #12
NEVrland
NEVrland

5 yr Member

I called Segway BC and posted information regarding Segway BC.

It was not about Disney. Disney at this time does not offer rentals.

NEVrland does offer rentals.

Keith Albrizzi NEVrland, Inc. Relay Transportation 407-566-0911 Segway Service, Sales and Rentals
NEVrland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 10:57 PM   #13
vanscooter
vanscooter

5 yr Member

I rented from these guys, and while they are pretty good about safety and such, I think both the business model and their practices are a little iffy.

1) They forgot to have me sign the liability waiver. Oops!
2) According to the receipt I was given, they are not incorporated. Yikes!
3) They recommend riding the Segway on the Seawall, an area that has a very clear "no motorized vehicle" bylaw on the books. As well, the legal situation for sidewalks and roads is, at best, very dark gray.

I thought the Segway was really cool and a lot of fun to fool around on, but I do have concerns about the long term public perception ramifications of sending newbies out into the world on them. I didn't have much trouble, but I tend to be a fairly cautious and courteous rider. A couple jacka$$es with lousy attitudes and a few beers could hurt themselves, others, and the future of PEVs here in Canada.
vanscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 04:09 AM   #14
PoloAk
PoloAk

5 yr Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by NEVrland

I called. They charge just to stand on it. We have always demo'd for free. I understand that this is free enterprise to each his own.

Their Charges:
$10.00 to get trained.
.33 cents per minute to ride.

You sign your life away on the liability form. They carry no Insurance protecting the company, the rider or the segway. They might have regular business ins.

We carry 1 million on specialized Segway Ins (No we do not give the name out).

Insurance companies do not write policies for gas moped's so when you rent one your life is in your own hands, To many claims. The rental company is not thinking of the renter they are thinking of the quick dollar that can be made. Accidents happen but when you get on something from my company I will also cover you. It's a small price to pay to sleep at night.

I would love to see more locations open up but it needs to be done the right way. We have been doing electric vehicle rentals for 4 years.

Keith Albrizzi NEVrland, Inc. Relay Transportation 407-566-0911 Segway Service, Sales and Rentals
That's CANADIAN dollars. So its $5 to train and $less than .33/min to ride (which is about $10/hr. they say)

I'm planning on going to Vancouver in a few weeks. . .I might try the service out.

Kelsey
PoloAk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 11:33 AM   #15
nocanfly
nocanfly is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I'll have to go down and check it out. I have to meet a client on Granville Island so I'll have to give the segway a more extended test drive.
nocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 01:21 PM   #16
SegMe
SegMe

5 yr Member

How many people actually rent their segways to pay for them?
SegMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 06:38 PM   #17
sapowell
sapowell

5 yr Member

I signed a waiver form that was quite extensive when I took it for a ride. They are great about safety and answered all my questions I felt very safe.

Apparently in Vancouver BC (where www.segwayBC.com is located) there are no rules yet regarding riding Segways on road or sidewalk. The seawall is the perfect location to ride a Segway in my opinion and it was beautiful. They too told me that this is the best place to go and I agree because it is paved. According to the rule about no motorized vehicles being allowed on the seawall, I think that this is different situation, especially because they are only allowing rentals with the yellow key#8230; not the Red.

Riding a Segway was an amazing experience and everyone should try it. Renting is a great way to get to ride a Segway without the expense of buying.
sapowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 07:18 PM   #18
vanscooter
vanscooter

5 yr Member

I agree that they were good about the safety stuff. As for roads and sidewalks: I know of at least 2 people that have received $575 fines for riding little Zappy-type electric scooters on the road a couple of years ago. ICBC has made it very clear that the Segway is not allowed on the road in BC, and they are the governing agency for what can and can't operate on the road. Sidewalks are a city issue, but nothing concrete has been decided.

Here is the Seawall bylaw, which is pretty clear: http://www.city.vancouver.bc.ca/bylaws/11188v12.pdf Check out page 52 of the PDF, specifically section 89A(1)(b) and 89A(2) The part about getting the motorized vehicle confiscated is enough to make me a little nervous.

I'm not saying any of this is right, but these are the laws that are on the books.
vanscooter is offline   Reply With Quote