SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > New Member Introductions

Notices

New Member Introductions Welcome to our community! Come in and introduce yourself to other members!

Old 07-27-2014, 12:23 PM   #1
novascotia
novascotia is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Lightbulb Hi from Here!

As a 51 year old female, and a 6 year owner of a lovable i2. (from my perspective at least ), I am happy to have found others who enjoy life with a Segway! Together we have cruised through crowds, shopping the malls, from the boardwalks of Florida to the beaches of Lake Michigan and enjoyed every moment. The i2 seems to "throw" a fit in deep sand though, sending the rider head first as it spins on it's one stable wheel, but never without standing proudly upward, while caught in the sand, waiting for me to do the same. My love affair with the Segway began at Disney World, back in 1999, seeing one for the first time and falling hook, line and sinker. In 2005, with the onset of a neuromuscular disorder (mitochondrial disease), caused from an environmental toxin, the road to my lovable i2 began. In 2008, after difficulties managing a scooter in and around classrooms, (as a professor, I liked to roam the aisles during lectures), I made an impulse buy while away at a conference and the rest is history......almost.

My love for the i2 continues, but sadly it does not. The batteries died this winter of 2013. With the loss of my job, (due to the disease), and the advent of retirement while still in my forties, I have not been able to replace the two "juice boxes" that took me to some many places I cannot otherwise go. I have a power-chair in my house (although I preferred the Segway), but no way to transport it elsewhere. I truly miss getting out and about. My portable ventilator fit onboard and I had the freedom to go. I would love to find out if there are batteries out there that could be donated to those in need of such a life giving gift. Should anyone know of a thread where I would ask such a question I would be grateful for the link up.

In the meantime, it sits, clean and shiny, waiting for the day we begin making memories again. Where I can "stand" and talk in crowds, get off and sit so others who long to try a Segway, and have what is sometimes a once in a lifetime chance, to feel the freedom that I had once lost due to illness, but then found again, thanks to my loveable i2!. For now I will wait for the repair and read about the journeys, trials, tribulations and adventures of all who post on segwaychat.org. Keep on rolling!
novascotia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:53 PM   #2
jgbackes
jgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Have you tried to revive your batteries?

jeff

If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jgbackes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:25 AM   #3
novascotia
novascotia is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

How do I go about doing that Jeff? I have read about having them "recharged" for about $500. with no guarantee of length of use. What are your thoughts?
novascotia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 11:52 AM   #4
Civicsman
Civicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

You might try contacting Jason, who posts here under MTOBattery. It is possible that your batteries could be "rejuvenated", or "revived", which essentially means being brought back to life. Or, it is possible that they might be rebuilt, which means replacing some of the cells inside the battery case. Either can be less expensive that buying new batteries. Rejuvenation is a LOT less expensive.

It is a MUST to keep the batteries charged! Many people keep their Segs on charge all the time when they are not riding. The on-board radio is always on and will run down the battery (rear). If the battery voltage drops below a minimum value, the Segway says "They're broken" and won't even try to charge them. Rejuvenation may revive them.

And with all due respect, it is unlikely that your love affair with Segs started in 1999. The Segway was highly secret prior to the introduction, in 2001. Not the slightest glimmer of information was released prior to introduction and the project was referred to as "Ginger", or just "It".
Civicsman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventure i2, batteries, disability, female, michigan