SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion > Reference Information & How-To's

Notices

Reference Information & How-To's Valuable reference information, stolen Segway reporting, how-to's, error codes & more.

Old 03-27-2009, 06:02 PM   #1
Rick Leininger
Rick Leininger is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Thumbs down where can I mount an eye bolt on the handle?

I need to load my Segway into my Chevy Equinox & have a hand winch mounted on the back of the seat to pull the Segway up ramps into my car. Works well, except I need to mount an eye-bolt or something similar into the Segway handle to have a secure, strong place to pull from. Don't attach to the bag attachment/bracket, it just pulls off the handle. Is there a safe, or no-no place to drill a 1/2 hole thru the handle. Any key wiring in the handle I should plan to avoid drilling thru???
Rick Leininger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 11:53 PM   #2
jgbackes
jgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

It would help to know what model segway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Leininger View Post
I need to load my Segway into my Chevy Equinox & have a hand winch mounted on the back of the seat to pull the Segway up ramps into my car. Works well, except I need to mount an eye-bolt or something similar into the Segway handle to have a secure, strong place to pull from. Don't attach to the bag attachment/bracket, it just pulls off the handle. Is there a safe, or no-no place to drill a 1/2 hole thru the handle. Any key wiring in the handle I should plan to avoid drilling thru???

If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jgbackes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 12:40 AM   #3
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

An alternative to consider, with both gen 1 and gen 2 (dunno about a P133 though) is to put the lower cargo frames on, and use a lifting strap through the frames. That should better balance the weight and make it easier to maneuver.

I haven't actually tried this -- but I do have one cargo frame on mine for use as a lifting handle, and it is very convenient for the purpose.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 11:37 AM   #4
segsurfer
segsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob.Kerns View Post
An alternative to consider, with both gen 1 and gen 2 (dunno about a P133 though) is to put the lower cargo frames on, and use a lifting strap through the frames. That should better balance the weight and make it easier to maneuver.

I haven't actually tried this -- but I do have one cargo frame on mine for use as a lifting handle, and it is very convenient for the purpose.
This would be a good course of action, plus as bob said it can be used on both generations of machine including the p133; drmarty had the i2 lower cargo frames on his at fest, and they looked great.
-segsurfer

segsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 12:33 PM   #5
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Actually, the ideal thing would be a PAIR of lifting straps, threaded through the front and rear gaps in the cargo frames (at least the gen 2 frames have an extra piece that the cargo plate attaches to). This would give superior balance and stability as you lift.

I bet the additional ease of handling would make it worth the extra few seconds to add the second strap.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 04:14 PM   #6
OregonForester
OregonForester will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Another thought too, (again depending upon which Segway model that you have) would be to buy a folding "D" ring on a plate (try looking in a Farm Store) and then drill the plate so that it will match the two cuphead screws on the front of the Seqway base where a kickstand mounts.
If you go this route, though, I would recommend that you take one of the existing screws to a fastener store and buy slightly longer screws. The base is aluminum, and you want to make sure that the new screws are "bottomed" so that you get maximum strength.

[edit] Oops....only 2 screws on the kickstand mount....

Last edited by OregonForester; 03-28-2009 at 04:27 PM.. Reason: Only 2 screws on a kickstand mount
OregonForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 08:16 PM   #7
Suzined
Suzined is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I'd be very careful before using the CS as a lift/pull point. Some time ago there was considerable discussion of installing lift handles on i180s, etc. The idea was to prevent airline baggage handlers from breaking the CS. My impression was that the CS is not all that sturdy and is not stressed as a lift point. I've got no technical basis for this but in my youth I was taught to be cautious. Incidentally, Big Al's emergency duct tape CS repair remain a classic.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:20 PM   #8
jrwilcox
jrwilcox is on a distinguished road

The big question is still which type of segway?

Jim

"I'd much rather be happy than right any day."
The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
jrwilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 08:33 PM   #9
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

One simple thing that I did several years ago when air shipping my e-167, after I bubble wrapped it so much that it was hard to recognize, was that I put two cargo straps on the base, one on either side of the CS shaft, and they went front to back, and each one circled the platform, and both front and rear battery...

By doing it with two straps like this, anyone wanting to pick up the machine, only needed to hold the strap anyplace they wanted... Two could pick it up by either leaning over either wheel and lifting one strap each, or one in front and one in back each with a hand on both straps...

These flat straps were easily able to be kept in place for this trip.

I would not endorse drilling into the segway much at all. (I have done it, but what I do to my own machine is very different to what I advise others to do to theirs...)

The OP must offer the model number for any advise to have value.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 11:04 PM   #10
bentbiker
bentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Leininger View Post
I need to load my Segway into my Chevy Equinox & have a hand winch mounted on the back of the seat to pull the Segway up ramps into my car.
Rick,
If your profile is correct and you have an X2, have you tried removing the upper portion of the LSF and walking the unit up the ramps in Riderless Balance Mode? I can't believe that the Equinox doesn't have a sufficient opening.

John Kuhn
bentbiker is offline   Reply With Quote