SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion > Reference Information & How-To's

Notices

Reference Information & How-To's Valuable reference information, stolen Segway reporting, how-to's, error codes & more.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:57 PM   #1
segaddict
segaddict is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Keeps leaning back on me!

I have a new i2 and perhaps this question is based solely on inexperience. I am not in turtle mode and when I lean forward, the Seg really starts to zoom for about two seconds and then pushes back to me and slows down, just like in turtle mode, but at a slightly increased speed.

Is this normal? I do not know how fast 12 1/2 miles per hour is when I am on the Seg.
segaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 11:11 PM   #2
wwhopper
Advanced Member
wwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default That is your speed limiter coming online

telling you you are asking it to go too fast, move your weight back and you will find it will be more even for you.
wwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 12:10 AM   #3
bentbiker
bentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by segaddict View Post
I do not know how fast 12 1/2 miles per hour is when I am on the Seg.
Do you realize that your InfoKey shows your speed? Also, when it presses back against you, it is telling you that you just went above 12.5 mph.

John Kuhn
bentbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 02:25 AM   #4
DarthSegVator
DarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really nice

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Default Check out the InfoKey Settings

The InfoKey has settings (regardless if you are in Turtle Mode or not) that have various speed settings.

Check the InfoKey portion of the manual.
DarthSegVator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 12:50 PM   #5
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

Poor training strikes again! At least you've come to the right place.
Gihgehls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 11:34 PM   #6
thouston
thouston is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Just read the manual and you'll be fine. No training needed.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:38 AM   #7
nassau98
nassau98 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default i have the same problem, but its much more severe

Hi all,

2 of the segways we own, have strips of plastic underneath the floormats. Life was fine for the first 6 months, until i found out of the blue, that i either couldnt turn the machines off, nor could I get them to lean against a wall (while I would get off) without them trying to roll forwards, and then "spazzing" out.
I worked out that the issue lay with those plastic strips sticking onto the 2 floor buttons and depressing them, even when the rider was off. So I took those strips off.
But now it seems that without those, the weight of the rider cant get distributed "correctly" over both buttons, and the Seggie when riding, then pushes back severely, almost immediately (with or without turtle mode) and it behaves very erratically.

any ideas, info, or insults?

I now ride one without any mats whatsoever, so that I can see precisely how my feet are positioned over the 2 buttons.
nassau98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 04:13 AM   #8
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Lean on me...

...when you're not strong. And I'll be your friend....

We all need somebody to lean on.

(good advert for a Segway)
Old 05-10-2009, 12:53 PM   #9
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau98 View Post
Hi all,

2 of the segways we own, have strips of plastic underneath the floormats. Life was fine for the first 6 months, until i found out of the blue, that i either couldnt turn the machines off, nor could I get them to lean against a wall (while I would get off) without them trying to roll forwards, and then "spazzing" out.
I worked out that the issue lay with those plastic strips sticking onto the 2 floor buttons and depressing them, even when the rider was off. So I took those strips off.
But now it seems that without those, the weight of the rider cant get distributed "correctly" over both buttons, and the Seggie when riding, then pushes back severely, almost immediately (with or without turtle mode) and it behaves very erratically.

any ideas, info, or insults?

I now ride one without any mats whatsoever, so that I can see precisely how my feet are positioned over the 2 buttons.
You look really silly riding with no mats. Sorry, I don't know you well, so that's the best I can come up with for an insult!

I can't quite visualize the original problem -- just what change resulted in this misbehavior. (I can see the problem with removing the strips well enough).

What I'd suggest, though, is basically to start over, and get comfort mats. I'm really pretty amazed at these things. Other than a tendency to collect rainwater and grime in the indentations, they perform flawlessly, and really make it a lot more comfortable to ride.

Mine have have gone 2000 miles, regularly get squashed way down with the hold-down pads on the Segvator, carry about 250 pounds between me and my backpack -- and if I clean them up, you wouldn't think they have 10 miles on them.

They come off and go on really easily with no tools -- and not once have they budged out of position when they shouldn't.

Whoever engineered these things is an unsung hero.

If throwing comfort mats on there doesn't solve the problem, I'd suspect the problem lies with the buttons themselves. (A weak/damaged spring, for example -- that's why I started (post-insult) with trying to visualize what changed to provoke the problem. The mats are held up by the buttons, so what would change to make them resist this and stay down?

But maybe someone else has experienced a mat problem?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 09:45 PM   #10
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

I will have to guess that you have gen 2 machines, and the plastic strips are the stiffeners in the floor mats on either side...

(You can update your profile or post what kind of machines you have)

If you do indeed have i2s, then I would also wholeheartedly endorse the use of comfort mats... I love mine.

The 2nd generation machines, to the best of my understanding, treat the rider detect buttons differently than the gen 1 machines...

If you do not depress enough of the 4 rider detects on the gen one machines, it will have a tendency to go into a reduced performance mode, but that is about it, and it is fairly consistent, unless you are talking about an E, which is different.

On a Gen 2 machine, the 4 rider detects (2 on each side) are linked to the steering in the machine... This has to do with reducing the turn or performance, if you lift one foot during a hard turn... I believe the idea is that if you lean so far to one side that your weight comes off the foot detects, the machine wants to reduce your turn, so that you come back down to have weight on both feet...

Regardless of if you like this feature, it is there, so it is important for your floor mats to be in good working order... Part of their function is to balance your weight, so that even if your foot is not properly spaced on the mat, the rider detects will work as intended...

To test this, if you do not want to chance the expense of buying the comfort mats, then see if the machine works well with clearly non-broken mats... (Standard mats are cheap to buy, and some dealers may just give them to you, as they are frequently removed to install the comfort mats.)

Good luck. Keep us posted.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote