SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:05 PM   #11
Tarkus
Tarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by quade View Post
(Whew! For a minute there I thought I was gonna get slammed by you for dissing a company who's leader you may have personally liked.)

Glad we agree!
I do like the guy. He's always been nice when we would see one another.

I agree with your assesment of both product and marketing.

I find being able to market an average "hot dog" and make it sound like it's the all time best very American.

Even when it's about the same as the competition and you can demand a premium, and get it.

I, obviously, still buy Monster as Noel is a supporter. Do I think others should do the same ?

Yes, tongue firmly planted in cheek !

Be Big,
Alan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:32 PM   #12
jryan
jryan will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Talking

I guess it all depends on what you consider to make something the best! In my mind price doesn't factor as much into the decision as name recognition. The fact of the matter is that there are plenty of less flashy, and less expensive, surge protectors out there that would probably perform the same as my Monster!

The fact of the matter is, however, if you ask 1000 random Americans which they think is better, Monster or ????? chances are they will say Monster because Monster has more recognition therefore more credibility! When considering which is the best I factor in most importantly performance. In many cases performance is the same in both brands.

I then go by recognition. Chances are, if I have heard of the company, they won't be going anywhere. Chances are they will have more reviews and therefore more credibility in my mind! I wouldn't say I've seen any company with measurably better performance than Monster although I have seen measurably similar!

I choose Monster due to brand recognition and that recognition gives me peace of mind which is worth the extra money! And yes, I agree with Alan, that, if you know you have something in common with the leader of the company and you think he is a good guy that provides more peace of mind.

Jeremy Ryan
jryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:49 PM   #13
jryan
jryan will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Talking

Regardless of our rants and raves about this company or that Segdog, I think everyone will agree when I say you need a Surge Protector! The biggest thing to look for no matter whether you go with the expensive high quality guys or a cheap Wal-Mart brand, make sure the surge protector comes with a guarantee for at least the amount of your Segway!

If they don't basically it can not work and you will just be up a creek when it comes to a replacement! Protection coverage does not really effect price much and you can get a $20 protector with $25,000 coverage which will be more than sufficient for your Segway! But make sure you get a surge protector and be sure to make sure it has coverage!

Jeremy Ryan
jryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 02:27 AM   #14
quade
quade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jryan View Post
The fact of the matter is, however, if you ask 1000 random Americans which they think is better, Monster or ????? chances are they will say Monster because Monster has more recognition therefore more credibility!
All recognition means is that people have heard the name. That's just marketing which as we've already stated is great. However, that doesn't equate with them being more credible. Doing things simply because the majority are doing them is a pretty silly way to go through life.

Unfortunately, this is also how we tend to pick our politicians.

Far better is to actually do some research on facts, not simply opinions of the masses. Remember, as a whole, half of everyone you meet is below average in intelligence.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:57 AM   #15
SegDog
SegDog is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Protecting your investment

Thanks,

My attempt to raise awareness about protecting your investment seems to bring-out the best in some.

As a qualified electrician, I had to diagnose and then un-scramble wiring repairs done by my "brother-in-law, the engineer".

My favorite story is about a school (yes, with children inside). I was called to make a simple equipment change-out. I did my routine "safety-first" circuit-breaker panel disconnect (yes, nothing was marked). After, the change, I noted the new piece was running hot, and I immediately went into shut-down and "brother-in-law, the engineer" mode. After, checking and marking (in color - 3 phase) the panel, they told me that an HVAC contractor just put-in a new air-conditioner and commercial refrigerator, and that a small flame shot-out of the piece that I had just replaced. (Anger contained) I advised them that he jumbled the wiring in the panel, so that his stuff would start-up without regard for the differing line voltages. This made me a better electrician, and, also, got me to go to HVAC night-school. It didn't take long to see the problem. Moral: Fancy work-vans don't make good technicians.

Effort equals results - Roger Penske

"when I look-up at the stars, I don't see Darwin's work, I see God's work" GMA
SegDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 09:34 AM   #16
wwhopper
Advanced Member
wwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Question But....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SegDog View Post
Moral: Fancy work-vans don't make good technicians.
Does a fancy Segway mean a good glider?

SegDog, how was your trip to the mothership?
wwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:26 PM   #17
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwhopper View Post
Does a fancy Segway mean a good glider?

SegDog, how was your trip to the mothership?

Speaking as a guy with lots of blinky lights, and weird attachments on my segway, I would have to say, "Yes" it does make me a better glider... LOL

To followup up on the previous thought, I agree that good marketing does not mean superior products. Often the cheaper service, or weaker product does better because of marketing that is not based on the value of the product, but it's price, and is dependent on the ignorance of the consumer...

A good example of this is that celebrity endorsements work well. If this athlete or that actor likes this product, then it must be good. While those forms of marketing have proven to work for sales, they do very little to inform the consumer, and rarely offer a comparison of the actual function of the product...(or politician, or service, or whatever)

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 01:58 PM   #18
Desert_Seg

Desert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
... A good example of this is that celebrity endorsements work well. If this athlete or that actor likes this product, then it must be good. While those forms of marketing have proven to work for sales, they do very little to inform the consumer, and rarely offer a comparison of the actual function of the product...(or politician, or service, or whatever)
Ah, Karl, you are a great straight man.

Read my soon to be posted new thread entitled F1 and Segway!

Steven
Desert_Seg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 03:40 PM   #19
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_Seg View Post
Ah, Karl, you are a great straight man.

Read my soon to be posted new thread entitled F1 and Segway!

Steven

Now... Some might say the alternative would be the 'bent' man?

Maybe the 'funny' man?

How about the 'Gay' man? Choosing to use the definition similar to a particular song, "Now we don our gay apparel" before I had standard black clothes, and party black clothes...

I have been any of the above at various points in the day, or my life...

Ha ha

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 07:16 PM   #20
hellphish
hellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by quade View Post
Sorry to tell you this, but Monster is by far the most over hyped and over priced version of any cables or devices they have to offer.

I simply can't in good conscience recommend any of their products for anything other than more quickly separating your money from your wallet.

Great marketing, truly average performance, truly outrageous prices.
Thirding or fourthing this.

Edit: I also just saw this comic. I'll link it instead of putting it inline incase anyone is offended at the word "godd***"

Last edited by hellphish; 01-29-2008 at 07:27 PM..
hellphish is offline   Reply With Quote