SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 08-04-2019, 12:37 PM   #1
paneinglass
paneinglass is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Cruising my neighborhood, drone in tow

My 1st drone video with my segway.
https://youtu.be/cFPonXsYw0k
paneinglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 10:04 AM   #2
airdale
airdale will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paneinglass View Post
My 1st drone video with my segway.
https://youtu.be/cFPonXsYw0k
I live just south of you, by about 2500 feet lower....Gotta love those Flagstaff summer days!....Thanks for the video.
airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 12:42 AM   #3
paneinglass
paneinglass is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Thanks, as “airdale” were you in the navy? I was on a few carriers myself with a couple VF squadrons.
paneinglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:42 AM   #4
dudeman1961
dudeman1961 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Awesome!! Excellent video.
dudeman1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 01:01 PM   #5
plumber802
plumber802 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Bravo! Thanks for sharing.
plumber802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 10:52 AM   #6
Steve807
Steve807 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Cruising my neighborhood, drone in tow

Great post. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

The post is a little bittersweet for me. When I bought my Segway I2 There were stores in my area now unfortunately they are gone. The original Segway was such a great invention. Wish it would have caught on as the original designer intended it to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Steve807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 11:12 AM   #7
Civicsman
Civicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

“Hoped it would catch on” is more accurate. Segway’s failures in understanding their market are, in my opinion, legendary. This happens far too often when inventors or engineers, committed to the beauty and righteousness of their creations, are allowed to make marketing decisions.

It’s right up there with New Coke in the marketing “Debacle Rating”, though likely much smaller financially. Sales numbers started off OK, but then flattened out very quickly. The Segway example should be taught in university marketing classes as an example of how not to do it.
Civicsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 02:07 PM   #8
Millender
Millender is on a distinguished road

3 yr Member

What would you do in their stead, Civicsman?
Millender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 03:16 PM   #9
Civicsman
Civicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

Segway did not understand their would-be customer base. They (or maybe just the boss/inventor) were certain that self-balancing, two-wheeled devices would re-make the world. Wrong.

Whatever they did (or did not do) for market research was terribly flawed. Far too many "hip" people absolutely HATED the concept of a machine that was seen as an expensive replacement for walking, and often said so on their product review/editorial websites. Segway attempts to change that the impression of what are now referred to as "influencers" were ineffective, and eventually discontinued.

Pricing was WAY out of line for individuals, which is why, after Gen1, there was almost zero effort to market to individuals. Bottom line: there were not anywhere enough customers interested in an expensive self-balancing two-wheeled device. Segway's internal efforts to achieve cost reductions were not effective. Sales numbers never went up enough to get any real economies of scale.

Self-balancing two-wheelers have found a new place under the new owners as less-expensive devices (more toy-like than Gen 1 or Gen 2), without the materials and systems redundancies that made the original Segway HT/PT as strong and as safe as it was (and still is).

Back in the day, I would have performed a robust market research study. It would have saved investors a TON of money. What I would do now is moot. Patents for self-balancing personal transports either have expired, or are about to do so. Kamen's "IT" became "that thing", and the fairy-dust marketing aura is long gone. The ship sailed more than a decade ago.
Civicsman is offline   Reply With Quote