SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 01-28-2016, 04:55 AM   #1
circos
circos is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Segway/Ninebot MINI PRO

Hi Guys!
Have someone have a pleasure to ride or own new Segway/Ninebot MINI PRO ?

Last edited by circos; 01-28-2016 at 06:27 AM..
circos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 10:16 AM   #2
energetic
energetic is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I understand that this product will be released this Monday, so my guess is negative.

http://forums.segwaychat.org/showthread.php?t=34271
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Proud Member of
energetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 09:41 PM   #3
rotorblades
rotorblades is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by energetic View Post
I understand that this product will be released this Monday, so my guess is negative.

http://forums.segwaychat.org/showthread.php?t=34271
oh im so tired of seeing ads and phoney news links and a tickertape that changes too fast to read and click bait this was such an awesome site with awesome smart folks it helped this old disabled vet learn and understand so much i shouldn't gripe at all i must not be the only one cuz it sure is slow around here

at all
rotorblades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 04:26 PM   #4
therealzam
therealzam is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Thumbs up I've got one!

I was able to get a Mini a few months ago. I'm a disabled user whose owned every model since the 180, including a p133. I currently have an i2 and i2 SE. I've also got the X2 tires and fenders. Given my experience, I thought I'd give you some feedback:

1: Control Shaft: the between the legs thing is a DUH feature that should have been on the device since day 1. You have MUCH more control than using a handlebar. Since about a year into my i2, I modified it in a similar way. Unfortunately, the rod on the mini is a bit too short but works amazingly.

2: Portability: that's the greatest thing about it. At 25lbs, I can get it in and out of my car with ease. It's amazingly liberating to me. I can now easily drive anywhere. The biggest issue with the size is that my size 15 feet protrude about 4in in front of the device when I use it so I've got to be very careful not to hit anything with them.

3: Controls: These are some features which should have been added a decade ago. I mean, Segway has a big robotics division. Being able to lock / unlock the device, view status information, etc. via a smartphone is a no brainier. Unfortunately, you can't turn the thing on with your phone, you have to use the power button. This is a MAJOR security flaw as anyone could activate the device if it was left unlocked. The other problem is that it turns itself off after 2 or 3 hours when locked. Fortunately, it will remain in locked mode once reactivated but I'd rather the device alarm go off at any time when the device is moved while locked.

4: Remote Control Mode: One word, AWESOME. I use this feature every day when I'm using the mini. As a disabled user, the convenience of being able to sit down when getting off the device and pilot it to a safe place, then lock it remotely is invaluable. When I need it again, I can simply summon it. There are limitations to this feature as the lack of top weight means acceleration is very slow and I often have to turn it to get it to move. Especially on carpet.

5: Stability: To preface, my disability has a MAJOR impact on this part of my review. When moving around, the thing is pretty stable, but it's lack of weight and small tires substantially reduce traction. This means that you've got to be very careful with sharp adjustments like large door thresholds and damaged sidewalks. Being a disabled user, I still use my cane when crossing thresholds or needing to stand still for short periods. Hills and significant lateral inclines are MUCH more difficult on the Mini. The fact that I need my cane and it's small size means, It's also not practical in big crowds. Medium crowds like shopping malls and business networking events are fine, but busy nightclubs and music festivals are a no. Overall, I'm sure able-bodied users will fare much better.

6: Mini vs. Hoverboard: When you remove the rod, the thing is the same size as a large hoverboard. It's also priced in the same general range (~$319 in China and 1k in the US). As much as people call my Big Seg "an old style hoverboard", the Mini gets that misnomer about tenfold. My ankles don't twist voluntarily so I'm incapable of using a hoverboard to make the comparison, but severa I've allowed several of my friends who own the lesser devices use the Mini. Their first question is " where can I get this?". They tell me its far more stable and responsive and that the steering system makes for a totally different and superior experience.
7: Inconspicuous: The Mini is relatively inconspicuous next to a normal Segway. Most of the people I encounter don't even notice the device.

Overall, the Mini is AMAZING. I think the price point and size open the platform up to a much larger customer base. In a word, it's revolutionary. If the company can successfully differentiate itself by leveraging Segway's history of not exploding, this device could eat up a significant portion of hoverboard sales which would amount to millions of units being sold domestically and therefore billions in revenue. With the arrival of the Mini, Kamen's original dream may finally come to fruition.
therealzam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 06:09 PM   #5
airdale
airdale will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Great review.....will be interesting how it hold up over the long haul, and if its worth fixing if it needs repair...

Only thing I didnt follow was the control shaft( lean steer) whats different?
airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 02:15 PM   #6
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

Does it handle side-slopes the same way as a segway (where you keep the stick in-line with gravity in order to hold still)?

"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Gihgehls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 06:40 PM   #7
Philip
Philip will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member
Default Roll compensation

Yes, the miniPRO has the same Roll Compensation feature as the Segway Gen 2 and SE models. I've been riding the miniPRO for about 10 weeks now, and I think it is a very, very good little machine.
Old 03-07-2016, 11:31 AM   #8
AaronC
AaronC is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I wrote a pretty detailed review of the Ninebot Mini over at the electric unicycle forum if you're interested an opinion of the device from the perspective of an EUC rider: http://forum.electricunicycle.org/to...ot-pro-review/
AaronC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 11:20 PM   #9
PeteInLongBeach
PeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura aboutPeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member

I've read these reviews and watched some videos. I don't see any provision for effective emergency stopping or other sudden evasive maneuvers as can be done on a real Segway with a complete leansteer frame. The control shaft at knee level seems relatively precarious to me...
PeteInLongBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 04:18 PM   #10
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteInLongBeach View Post
I've read these reviews and watched some videos. I don't see any provision for effective emergency stopping or other sudden evasive maneuvers as can be done on a real Segway with a complete leansteer frame. The control shaft at knee level seems relatively precarious to me...
"Relatively" is probably the key word here. Compared to a hoverboard or unicycle, the mini has superior control.

"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Gihgehls is offline   Reply With Quote