SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Miscellaneous topics and for general social, non-Segway discussions.

Old 02-13-2004, 04:11 PM   #1
SegwayUtah
Advanced Member
SegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really nice

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Default 'Q' photo in Fortune magazine

In Fortune magazine, there is a photo of a "well-dressed hip" man riding the Rad2Go Q stand-up scooter down a street/sidewalk. A friend of mine pulled it out to show me that I could now get a Segway with a big headlight on the front.

I hope people don't start riding Qs in the public, thinking that they are covered by EPAMD laws. But even more, I hope that people don't start thinking that Qs are anything like Segways.

Q = stand-up electric scooter (a wolf in Segway-like clothing?)
Segway = self-balancing robot human transporter

As time goes on, it becomes more important to stress the difference between a stand-up scooter and a self-balancing human transporter. At least now we can pull out a picture and say "no, _this_ is a scooter, one that's trying to pretend to be a Segway."

Chris
SegwayUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 04:45 PM   #2
BruceWright
Advanced Member
BruceWright is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

If anyone tries to ride the Q scooter down the sidewalk or the street, I think they'll find within a couple of miles that it's mostly useless.

Looks great in a magazine, though!

The more I think about the Q, the more I realize that THIS IS EXACTLY what most people think a Segway is.

When people saw the Segway on Good Morning America, they didn't and DON'T understand what it really is. Just like Doug Field said in the chat, people DON'T understand why 4 wheels wouldn't be just as good as 2.

That's why when I demo it for people, they are afraid that it won't be stable. It's why people think that I'M the one balancing it.

It's why people think "that's it" when they saw the Segway.

Only after riding it, do these people get the "aha" moment.

That's why people need to ride a Segway to get it, and why they are absolutely EQUAL in a magazine photo or on television.

-Bruce Wright

Segway: Vehicle of Dream
BruceWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 05:37 PM   #3
defenbaugh
defenbaugh

5 yr Member

With the risk of being off topic, I will add to Bruce's comments. Those that can't comprehend, perceive (you choose the right word) new technology will never understand the difference between the HT and the Q any more than they could perceive (or your word) the difference between the computer and the calculator. Add to the list the calculator and the adding machine. You get the point. Only when they, themselves, can operate it, and some not then, will this type person comprehend what a Segway really is. I have family members and employees still not using computers for they can not see the need. There will always be those people. There are more of these none comprehenders than Dean, myself, and most on this chat board would like to believe. The recent Wall Street Journal thread brings to mind that I originally would have sold the farm to buy stock in Segway if it had been available, that's how much faith I had in this revolutionary product. The WSJ article indicates the road is going to be steeper than we all anticipated. This Segway will climb a steeper hill than most people think, both physically and metaphoricly. But, as pt likes to remind us, "it's not a sprint, it is a marathon."

Ron
"Literacy requires reading, change requires effort and enlightenment requires courage."
defenbaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 08:17 PM   #4
ZoliHonig
ZoliHonig is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I really hope poeple don't vonfuse the Segway with the Q.

-Zoli
ZoliHonig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 11:15 PM   #5
ElectraGlide
ElectraGlide

5 yr Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ZoliHonig

I really hope people don't confuse the Segway with the Q.

-Zoli
You can bet they will !

Steve
ElectraGlide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 11:34 PM   #6
SegwayUtah
Advanced Member
SegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really nice

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

People have already confused the Q with an actual Segway. My friend pulled out a photo of the Q to show me a "Segway with a big headlight on the front."

Chris
SegwayUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 11:28 AM   #7
Itsi Atkins
Itsi Atkins is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

Remember the Q by zap. The stock zapz sold for $0.75 when they introduced the Q, Today it is selling for over $4.00, with an ask price of $5.00. Hope others picked up on it, sold my 1000 shares to pay for a new P.
Itsi Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 01:23 PM   #8
vanclute
vanclute

5 yr Member

People have been confusing the Q with the Swg since the Q came out, mostlhy because the Q markets itself aS "BETTER THAN A SEGWAY"! They (Zap I geuss) are doing everything they can *TO* confuse the public and convince them that the two machines are the same, if not the Q is better. They will make more money that way, and have no interest in new technologies, they just want to sell more scooters however they can.

<sigh>

J
vanclute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 03:03 PM   #9
BruceWright
Advanced Member
BruceWright is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Point of order,

Rad2Go makes the Q. Zap is a retailer.

-Bruce Wright

Segway: Vehicle of Dream
BruceWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 04:02 PM   #10
vanclute
vanclute

5 yr Member

Ahh thanks for the clarification Bruce. All I know is, everyone involved with the Q seems to insist on basically slandering the Segway and those who would pay for one.

I also noticed a rather large number of typos in my previous post... ahwell, that's what happens when I type passionately.

J
vanclute is offline   Reply With Quote