SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Miscellaneous topics and for general social, non-Segway discussions.

Old 02-10-2008, 12:18 AM   #21
Eric Payne

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
... (b)ut, on this forum, being called a Republican is a very high insult. I understand the need to play to the audience...
Karl,

I was neither playing to the audience nor was I meaning to be insulting.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:22 AM   #22
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Payne View Post
Karl,

I was neither playing to the audience nor was I meaning to be insulting.

Fair enough. I do play to the audience from time to time, but I was not intending to be insulting either...

I do not recall ever calling my self a republican, however. Why is it that I am assumed to be one, here? I wonder.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 12:26 AM   #23
jryan
jryan will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Talking

Quote:

But, on this forum, being called a Republican is a very high insult.
In many areas of America being called a republican is a major insult and one of the worst ou can call someone! I did not, and would not, ever call you a republican. That being said I would call you right wing which does not mean republican! Now, on that aspect, I would not even call Bush a republican. The republican party vs. the democratic party is based on views. GWB took it to a different level and was essentially "disowned" by his own party! Regardless of who wins the nomination, an endorsement from Bush would be about the biggest campaign killer known to man. An endorsement from O.J. Simpson would be much more appropriate and gain more votes!

Jeremy Ryan
jryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 01:06 AM   #24
Eric Payne

Quote:
Fair enough. I do play to the audience from time to time, but I was not intending to be insulting either...

I do not recall ever calling my self a republican, however. Why is it that I am assumed to be one, here? I wonder.
And, here, Karl, I admit to one of my self-confounding, dumbfounding traits: If someone isn't of one political party, then they must be of the other. Yes, I know it's stupid, especially coming from someone who absolutely loathes "either/or" cubbyholes... and doesn't fit comfortably into any of those cubbyholes! But when it comes to politics, it's just my own mindset.

Dumb, huh?
Old 02-10-2008, 01:11 AM   #25
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Payne View Post
And, here, Karl, I admit to one of my self-confounding, dumbfounding traits: If someone isn't of one political party, then they must be of the other. Yes, I know it's stupid, especially coming from someone who absolutely loathes "either/or" cubbyholes... and doesn't fit comfortably into any of those cubbyholes! But when it comes to politics, it's just my own mindset.

Dumb, huh?

I am by far my own worst enemy. I like this response, not because it is self depricating, but because it is honest.

Like the post before it, from Jeremy, it is why some of us with clearly very different views on several different topics can easily still be friends, because we value honesty and integrity above all else.

I am pleased to be able call Eric and Jeremy friends. Misguided maybe, but friends. Likely no more misguided than me, but we are all flawed in one way or another...LOL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 01:18 AM   #26
segsurfer
segsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to all

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee
Default I have a question for Eric

Where do you find all these presidential factoids?
-segsurfer

segsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 01:27 AM   #27
jryan
jryan will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Talking

Quote:
I am by far my own worst enemy. I like this response, not because it is self depricating, but because it is honest.

Like the post before it, from Jeremy, it is why some of us with clearly very different views on several different topics can easily still be friends, because we value honesty and integrity above all else.

I am pleased to be able call Eric and Jeremy friends. Misguided maybe, but friends. Likely no more misguided than me, but we are all flawed in one way or another...LOL
Here is what I hate, people who believe politics and religion should not be discusssed! The only reason one would say that is because they are the reason it should not be discussed. People should embrace everyones views and be able to share their opinions! Although I do not condone forcing beliefs on others I most certainly promote discussing them! As far as religion goes, you should be able to discuss your religion in a non-evasive way. It is sad when in the land of the free you are not always free and in this case it has nothing to do with the government yet other people!

As far as politics go everyone should discuss them. I think this is a big problem with Americans. Many of them think that this is a forbidden topic because of how they know some others will react. The problem with this is that it creates what I call blind voters. This is why the media can effectively contribute to who becomes president. People go by what they hear but do not discuss out of fear and this makes it so that they don't know what they are voting for. This is dangerous, potentially even more so than not voting at all.

We must discuss politics so that we have educated voters! And I believe if we started actually discussing politics we would also have more voters. The last election (governors-2006) was the first I was legally able to vote in. my senior class had 123 people 85 of which were 18 on election day! After the election it was determined I was the only one in my school to vote (excluding staff)! I enjoy discussing politics with you too Karl, because you challenge me but at the same time do not attack. Many here get in auto defense mode and that is the type of mentality that is killing our voters and our country! At the end of some days you have changed my opinion, at the end of others we agreed to disagree but at the end of every day we went to sleep with no hostilities and although we have never met we were still friends! Let's set the example as a country starting with each and every one of us. Start discussing politics, no longer forbid it, but on the other side do not attack if you disagree! I am young, but not stupid and attacks go no where with me or anyone!

Jeremy Ryan
jryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 01:28 AM   #28
Five-Flags
Five-Flags is a jewel in the roughFive-Flags is a jewel in the roughFive-Flags is a jewel in the roughFive-Flags is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member
Smile Just like most statistics...

Quote:
Originally Posted by segsurfer View Post
-segsurfer
He makes them up on the spur of the moment!!

(Just funnin' with you, Eric)

Last edited by Five-Flags; 02-10-2008 at 01:53 AM.. Reason: I can't even keep names straight when harrassing!! 'Duh!
Five-Flags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 01:37 AM   #29
Eric Payne

Quote:
Originally Posted by segsurfer View Post
-segsurfer
I have always just loved certain aspects of history, Surfer... plus growing up where I did in Pennsylvania, when the class at our elementary, Jr. High, or high school had a "day-trip" or a field trip, it was always either to Philadelphia, Gettysburg or Washington, DC... and can't go to any of those places and not be exposed to a little bit of history.

Actually, funny thing... this past summer we were in DC. Killing time before out twilight tour at CapitalSeg, Bill and I did a little bit of our own tourist thing... grabbing a cab and going out to the Titanic Memorial, the Jefferson Memorial and the Lincoln Memorial. Bill has sciatica, and just couldn't take the steps of the Lincoln memorial.

I should also say: Washington was a side-trip from our Philadelphia vacation. We were vacationing in Philly solely because the stage musical "Wicked" was performing there on August 17th... which was my 48th birthday, and my sister Karen's 49th birthday. As a surprise, last August, Bill booked our vacation there (knowing I grew up somewhere in the area) and bought third-row, center tickets for me, him, Karen, and whomever Karen wished to bring. It was the first time in 30 years Karen and I celebrated our birthday together; she drove in from her home just north of Wilkes-Barre, and brought her daughter... who, the last time I saw her, was riding around on my shoulders and just barely speaking, and is now 28, and been married for three years.

So... Bill couldn't take the steps of the Lincoln; he stayed at ground level while I went up with the camera, went inside, and took some pictures. Coming out and down the steps, I also had to rest, so I stopped where I could get a beautiful picture of the Reflecting Pool, Washington Monument and Capitol building. I raised the cam and snapped the pic; there was a guy standing beside me who, I thought, was also taking a picture.

I lowered the camera and that gentleman on my right turned to me. "Is your name Payne," he said. I told him it was. "Eric Payne?" he asked. I said yes. He stuck out his hand and said: "I thought that was you. You probably don't remember me, but I'm..." someone I used to pick up every day and drive to school (we both lived way out in the country -15 miles from the school - and driving, instead of taking the bus meant we could sleep in an extra 90 minutes in the morning).

Turned out, though he had never left the area, he was in Washington with a church group, and recognized me through a physical birth defect I have. It also turns out that weekend was my graduating class' 30th reunion.

I declined the invitation to attend, though... Wicked was much, much more fun!

Anyway... it's all contributing factors. Because of the heart, and because of that physical birth defect, I wasn't really active in a lot of after school activities; the birth defect? Well, to put it bluntly, it's not debilitating in any way... I just don't have a neck. My head, literally, sits on my shoulders. For those old enough, think Ed Sullivan... though his was just bad posture.

So... I read. And read. And read. Books. Magazines. Newspapers. Comic books. Religious pamphlets. The Bible. The Book of Mormon. Biographies. Autobiographies.

And I don't forget much I've read. For instance just a few days ago in a posting, I told someone in Florida to do some basic research on their own, that that was the only way they were going to start to believe what I was talking about in that forum, and ended with the admonition I was not going to be his "personal Anne Sullivan." It didn't strike me until later, when I was asked by someone privately what I meant, that not everyone was going to know the Helen Keller story. I knew because, decades and decades ago, I read "The Miracle Worker," and it's always stuck with me.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:59 AM   #30
segsurfer
segsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to all

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-Flags View Post
He makes them up on the spur of the moment!!

(Just funnin' with you, Eric)
98.765% of statistics are made up.
-segsurfer

segsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote