SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Miscellaneous topics and for general social, non-Segway discussions.

Old 03-28-2007, 04:46 PM   #21
eJM
Account Suspended
eJM will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEGsby View Post
...As I was moving along with the strong, dust filled winds at my back, I noticed a young black male on a skateboard staring at me, standing under a streetlight...
Nice writing style, but I can't for the life of me figure out why you thought it was important to add race to the story. Disturbing. I think if you left the word "black" out of the sentence, it would have been just as exciting to everyone.

Jim
eJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 05:17 PM   #22
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

It would have been just as "exciting" without the strong dust references, but the guy was providing a detailed account. I didn't read it as bringing race in to it anywhere. Just as disturbing, perhaps, is that you think it does?
Old 03-28-2007, 05:32 PM   #23
Mr_Laurenzano
Mr_Laurenzano will become famous soon enoughMr_Laurenzano will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member
Talking sKATEBOARDING

Skatboarding is illegal on sidewalks in most of california. I would have hit him twice. Im ridding a skateboard right this second.
CRASH
Old 03-28-2007, 06:24 PM   #24
Worm
Worm is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eJM View Post
Nice writing style, but I can't for the life of me figure out why you thought it was important to add race to the story. Disturbing. I think if you left the word "black" out of the sentence, it would have been just as exciting to everyone.

Jim
I'm 51, how dare he label someone young! I'm disturbed. Why did he have to mention the guy was "young".
Worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 07:04 PM   #25
BillPaxton
BillPaxton is a jewel in the roughBillPaxton is a jewel in the roughBillPaxton is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrandwood View Post
It would have been just as "exciting" without the strong dust references, but the guy was providing a detailed account. I didn't read it as bringing race in to it anywhere. Just as disturbing, perhaps, is that you think it does?
Here here Gareth...I didn't give that a second glance until ejm brought it up - and I just don't see how stating a fact is anything other than just that unless you are trying to MAKE it more than it is.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. ~Ernest Hemingway
BillPaxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 08:09 PM   #26
Worm
Worm is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Let me step through the events before anyone jumps to erroneous conclusions...

I walked to local Long's Pharmacy after work, then left on the Seg, carrying a bag of groceries in my left hand and used my right to steer...
Here here Gareth.
Here here Bill

BUT, this non-issue has kept us from the real issue. This is serious!

How did Segsby walk to the pharmacy and ride Herbie home?

Was Herbie waiting at the pharmacy?

How did Herbie get to the pharmacy?

Was Herbie alone?

Did Herbie conspire with this alleged young, alleged black, alleged male?

Last edited by Worm; 03-28-2007 at 08:42 PM..
Worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 09:16 PM   #27
BillPaxton
BillPaxton is a jewel in the roughBillPaxton is a jewel in the roughBillPaxton is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worm View Post
Here here Gareth.
Here here Bill

BUT, this non-issue has kept us from the real issue. This is serious!

How did Segsby walk to the pharmacy and ride Herbie home?

Was Herbie waiting at the pharmacy?

How did Herbie get to the pharmacy?

Was Herbie alone?

Did Herbie conspire with this alleged young, alleged black, alleged male?
Anal/finger issues aside, I *love* this guy! Now we just need to substitute fingers with gratuitous insertions of polo tangents...

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. ~Ernest Hemingway
BillPaxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 11:44 PM   #28
polo_pro
Advanced Member
polo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member Segway Polo Player
Default implementation

Quote:
Segway Jousting could be the new Polo.
During the long glide, we talked about this at one point. The idea I came up with was to glide backwards (with the CS behind) with a short fence seperating the two segways from colliding. Ideally people would have a large face mask covering their face, neck and part of their chest. In one hand would be a nerf-like lance and in the other hand would be a shield. Obviously "steering" is optional.

Due to the speed limiter when going in reverse, the motors might have to be reverse wired (or reversed) to allow for a full 12 MPH in reverse.

OPTA - Forget stun guns...I always carry my polo mallet with me. No one messes with someone who has a 7 foot reach and a good swing. 8^) 8^) 8^) And if asked (say by the authorities) what that is hanging from my handlebars, I just respond with, "Oh...that's my cane." 8^) 8^) 8^)

ps - I'd think a suit of some sort would be required where it ensures that the lance doesn't get caught in any joint. It may be soft, but a poke at 25 MPH could cause problems.

Last edited by polo_pro; 03-28-2007 at 11:50 PM.. Reason: polo tangent added as requested
polo_pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 03:11 AM   #29
SEGsby
SEGsby will become famous soon enoughSEGsby will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

I was simply blocking his potential fall into my leensteer, which would probably have spun the machine to the right and thrown me off the platform at 12 mph.

That's something I really don't want to have to experience...

My gut reaction was a fist seemed safer if he was going to hit, and after the fact, was a more satisfying position to be in after he rammed the side of Herbie.

And yes, I rememeber Tim recounting how a kid deliberately rolled a skateboard out in front of him and his machine crushed it without flinching. I also recall this kid's friends laughing at the loss of his skateboard.

Same area, just more North of me.

SEGsby

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrandwood View Post
I'm not one for violence but under the circumstances, I think you did the right thing. Just wish you'd given him a clout from me!

I think I remember reading that someone on here had some smart ars* roll their board out in front of them whilst gliding and amazingly the board broke under the wheel and the glider carried on. That's 2 for gliding and 0 for the boarders!!
SEGsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 03:48 AM   #30
SEGsby
SEGsby will become famous soon enoughSEGsby will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

If he was WHITE, LATINO or a FRENCH MIME, I would have put that detail in there, too. But that wasn't part of the unfortunate events of that evening...

If I knew more about them, I would have added it. But that's all I have; Age, Race and Gender. And that's what's in the post, which is the same information the police got-- just the facts.

If you experienced discomfort while reading a detailed account of a Battery against a Segway and it's owner, just because the perp's race was mentioned, then you might might need to spend some time contemplating why you felt this way.

And thanks for the complements on my writing. I try to be at least a little entertaining to help balance the controversy of my participation.

SEGsby

Quote:
Originally Posted by eJM View Post

Jim
SEGsby is offline   Reply With Quote