SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Miscellaneous topics and for general social, non-Segway discussions.

Old 09-05-2006, 04:05 PM   #11
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal
... if that video showed that child fall and get hurt, it would likely be portrayed as the Segway's fault!

-Sal
Yup, Segway should have worked harder to include those environment variables in the software and incorporate it into their test track.
Old 09-05-2006, 04:31 PM   #12
Stan671
Stan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to all

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal
if that video showed that child fall and get hurt, it would likely be portrayed as the Segway's fault!
Right. And those stupid parents would sue Segway saying that there should be a sign on the handlebar warning them not to ride the Segway on a trampoline. And then some equally stupid jury would award them millions of dollars.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:53 AM   #13
SEGsby
SEGsby will become famous soon enoughSEGsby will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member
Angry Smells like...

...a 'Darwin Award' waiting to happen.

Is it possible for the maker of a product to sue an individual for abusing their intellectual property and Brand?

SEGsby
SEGsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 01:54 AM   #14
dalessiokid
dalessiokid is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Angry Stupid Very Stupid

How stupid can a man be?, That coulded end in a serious injury! It also reminded me how upset i get when people refer to the segway as a Toy instead of a Technological breaktrhough in Urban Transportation!

Jorge D'Alessio

Let The Glide Last Forever!
dalessiokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 02:14 AM   #15
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Ever-Glides
Karl,

I'm suprised nobody has tried to jump out of a plane with a Segway yet. Do you think the landing could allow them to ride off into the sunset?
Vertical descent of a Round parachute is about 20MPH and is relatively straight down. Not good for the axles.

A rectangular parachute (The kind almost everyone used these days) has almost the same descent rate, but a horizontal glide rate to match.

It is possible and I have done it, to swoop in and climb at the same time, since the normal glide of a parachute is about 20 degrees toward the ground, if you "climb" at about a 20 degree increase to this, anyone watching would say you are gliding parallel to the ground. This makes the landings look good, and seem easier than they are.

I have done many demonstration jumps into tight spaces, (including my wedding rehearsal) where I had to time it so that I stopped going forward and down at the same point in a tight space. I looks like stepping off the curb, if you do it right. (Crash and burn if you do it wrong...)

I have the skill to make the jump and come in relatively level and less than 12 miles per hour at point of contact with the ground. The extra hundred pounds would require some practice. Each practice round would likely cost a segway it's life, but given time, I could make it work. Would you like me to use yours? I will not use mine.

By the way, if I had a problem and had to jetison the seg (And/or a parachute (I always carry at least one reserve) I would not want to be the guy on the ground looking up...

Personally I see not value in this kind of thing, maybe a commercial, or a James Bond movie would have this as a possibility. Reality would just label it a horrible waste of money and effort.

By the way, I do know people who have jumped with roller blades and bicycles. I have not.

I did jump with a rubber raft a few times. (Ala Indiana Jones) and it was a blast trying to stay in that thing. An orange is an interesting thing to jump with, and so are water ballons. Paint ball guns have a great effect, but take some effort to avoid having the ball explode right outside the muzzle...

Just to make believe I am keeping this on point... I have never skydived with a trampoline. I have not seen this tape yet, but from what everyone is saying, I agree with the concept that endangering kids has no place nor tollerance from me. (That is one of the major reasons that I have not skydived since my son was born. Unnecessary risks and kids do not go together.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 02:14 AM   #16
TheRonster
TheRonster has a little shameless behaviour in the past

5 yr Member
Exclamation Yikes!

Classic depiction of "someone with more money than brains ...."
TheRonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 07:28 AM   #17
JRjr
JRjr has a little shameless behaviour in the past

5 yr Member
Talking No Brains...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRonster
Classic depiction of "someone with more money than brains ...."

That's not a very nice way at all to refer to Karl ! I think he's very smart... Oh, wait a minute, you're talking about the trampoline thing... Sorry....
JRjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 08:21 AM   #18
austin@SOH
austin@SOH is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Woops... I guess I should have told him during product orientation to keep the Segway off the trampoline... Oh yeah... Thats common sense. I think its something in the water around here or maybe the fact that there is just nothing to do...
Old 09-06-2006, 09:21 AM   #19
cruiter
cruiter is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Seg on Trampoline

Seeing the kids do it after the dad, just shows that Genes do pass down the chain. Makes me wonder what a video of the dad's father would have shown (if video had been around then). Somewhere in the gene set, the smart cord was shorted.
Jim

" We know that communication is a problem, but the company is not going to discuss it with the employees." (Switching supervisor, AT&T Long Lines Division)
cruiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 10:29 AM   #20
sombody
sombody will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member
Default Parachute + Gyroscope = ?

So Karl-

What effect do you think an industrial strength gyroscope attached to a skydiver somewhare might have on his flight - if any. Would it add any stabilization- or maybe take some of the fun out.

rick
sombody is offline   Reply With Quote