SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Miscellaneous topics and for general social, non-Segway discussions.

Old 07-17-2006, 10:17 PM   #11
ZoliHonig
ZoliHonig is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GyroGo
I'm really no scholar of the region, but it does appear that the Lebanese people would be a beneficiary of a weaker Hezbollah.
On Hanity and Colmes tonight, Benjamin Netanyahu (former PM of Israel) was asked to respond to the Lebanese PM comments that Israel was a murderous country, and are destroying their democracy and their country.... to which Netanyahu responded, I doubt that the Lebanese PM can say on FOX news that he like what Israel is doing, but I am fairly sure that he's saying to his close buddys, I hope Israel doesn't stop untill they wipe out Hezbollah for good....

It's amazing how almost exactly one year ago Isrrael withdrew from the ENTIRE gaza strip and gave it over to the Palestinians, and granted them autonomy.... 12 months later, it's a terrorist run state with daily attacks on the one who granted its autonomy....

This is simmilar to Lebanon as well... 6 years ago Israel pulled out... It was quiet... they were unprovoked... but attacked us nonetheless....
ZoliHonig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 10:36 PM   #12
Desert_Seg

Desert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member

Just a quick note before I run out to a meeting...

1. Hasan Nasrallah, the head of the Hezbollah, has stated on TV that their kidnapping of the two soldiers had been planned for 5 months and was done IOT gain the release of thousands of captured "soldiers"

2. Benjamin Netanyahu is dead on. Would you be willing to go on TV and ask Israel to keep on coming until such time as the Hezbollah have been decimated? I wouldn't because that would be tantamount to asking to be killed.

3. There is no telling why suddenly both the Hamas and the Hezbollah have decided to act. Neither of their actions get them any points in any court of opinion and, worse of all, there is a quiet undertone of disbelief that they would do something this stupid.

4. Israel is actually getting points for showing some restraint although they still come in for condemnation by the very vocal and anti Israel press.

All in all, this is a sad state of affairs, made worse by the incalcitrant behaviour of the so called soldiers.

One point to ponder...when (if) they show shots of the Lebanese amassing trying to cross the border, look for all the single men who are also seeking to cross and ask yourself the following questions:

a) Where are their families? Their girlfriends?
b) Why are some of them so clean shaven?
c) What is that band of "white skin" around the edge of their face?

Can you say deserter? Is Syria the new Canada (home of the draft dodger in Vietnam, not meant to be anything bad).

Food for thought,

Steven
Desert_Seg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 10:36 PM   #13
citivolus
citivolus is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I notice two trends. The first is the economic prospects in the areas where the trouble generally originates and the second is the average age of the population. According to the CIA factbook, in the Gaza Strip the average age is under 16 and about 18.5 in the West Bank. Compare that to the near 30 average found in Israel and Lebanon. I'd wager most of the members of Hezbollah gang are just that... a gang members little different from any other street gang backed by Iranian dollars.
Old 07-17-2006, 11:55 PM   #14
Stewbonz
Stewbonz will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

POWs is probably the right term.
Kidnap victim sounds more like innocent bystanders got taken.

Either way, they should have expected big trouble.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Stewbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 06:41 AM   #15
ZoliHonig
ZoliHonig is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewbonz

I Disagree.... this is becaus Israel was not in a war with Lebanon or the Palestininians! So "prisoner of war" is not the right term, as this was not a war when it happened...
ZoliHonig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 07:31 AM   #16
Desert_Seg

Desert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewbonz

Jeff,

Per the Geneva Convention, a POW is someone captured as an enemy combatant during a time of war.

1. To be able to quote the GC you must be a signatory. Hezbollah is not.

2. Lebanon and Israel are not at war so you can't be a POW

3. Hezbollah is not a country and can't declare war (well the can but it doesn't mean anything)

4. Hezbollah KIDNAPPED those soldiers and if they die during captivity that is MURDER.

Any questions?

Steven
Old 07-18-2006, 09:42 AM   #17
Stewbonz
Stewbonz will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

I guess you can tell I'm not up to speed on this one.
I watch about 30 minutes of TV a week and hardly catch the newspaper these days.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Stewbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 03:35 PM   #18
GyroGo
GyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to all

5 yr Member
Default GyroGo's Mideast Peace Blog

As I've said before what scares me most is Iran having nuclear weapons. I half wonder whether Israel's and USA's secret gambit is to draw Iran into the conflict to nip this nuke development in the bud. However, as it may be inevitable that their development will proceed in any case, unless there is a war every few years to level their facilities, I think it is a good thing that Syria and Iran have NOT been more directly involved in acts of war during this opportunity (although their "indirect" support is certainly culpable).

Perhaps Iran and Syria deserve credit for recognizing that it is not their responsibility to eliminate Israel directly, perhaps they are just holding their cards for what they think may be a better opportunity. But in any case, the fact that we have seen other Arab and Muslim nations criticize Hamas and Hezbollah unlike we have ever seen in previous conflicts, IMHO, is some cause for hope.

Israel now says this operation will likely last another couple of weeks until they fulfil their objectives. If Hezbollah can be set back, and Hamas will lose their desire to fight Israel's right to exist and embrace reality as a result of this crisis, and resume focus on activities for the good of the Palestinian people, then maybe, just maybe, maybe, I pray, some good will come of this.

Peace.
Old 07-18-2006, 04:04 PM   #19
Desert_Seg

5 yr Member

Does Iran have nuclear weapons? You would be foolish to think they don't. Data:

- In 1988 the Bushehr Nuclear Powere Plant was destroyed by the Iraqis and there were strong suppositions it was done due to its refining capabilities.
- Argentina, Pakistan, South Africa, Soviet Union, and West Germany all acknowledge (in 88 and 89) that they had provided help to the Iranians in their efforts to refine Uranium
- 1989 Iranian scientist admits / announces that Tehran Uni has successfully completed a Uranium Extraction Laboratory.

Jump ahead 10 years and Iran has moved light years ahead. Nuclear equipment by the ton has been delevered to Iran, training has been received and, in case I forgot, Iran has started to extract uranium from their pits in Yazd (I think that's the town).

Move ahead 6 years to present time....IAEA inspectors are banned, new underground facilities are noted at the Research Center....and they have long range weapons that can deliver nuclear warheads.

Let's not fool ourselves. Iran has the weapons, will sell / provide them to their "allies" and, have one goal in mind....Eliminate Israel from the face of the map. Oh, and I forgot, have a certifiable lunatic as their country's leader.

So yes, I hope Israel doesn't stop until the finish the job (no, not going into Iran but eliminating the Hezbollah threat from the Levant) and that Iran decides it isn't in their best interest to get involved. Unfortunately, this region is a tinderbox and having rogue nations with nuclear weapons is not a good thing.

Steven
Old 07-18-2006, 04:29 PM   #20
GyroGo
GyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to all

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_Seg
Does Iran have nuclear weapons? You would be foolish to think they don't.
So if they do, do they deserve credit for not taking this opportunity to use them before more "local" opposition to Israel fizzles out at this point? Or should we be extremely fearful that this conflict is not over yet, and cards are yet to be played?

maybe Newt isn't nuts?