SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Miscellaneous topics and for general social, non-Segway discussions.

Old 03-23-2008, 03:03 PM   #11
segsurfer
segsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to all

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee
Thumbs up thank you BP

Thank you for saying what I have been trying to put into eloquent words for the past month +R for you
-segsurfer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
segsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 05:34 PM   #12
Dave Bittner
Dave Bittner is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Agreed...

I've been involved in countless online forums for over twenty years, and Segway Chat strikes me as one of the most volatile environments I've ever witnessed. I suppose part of it is just the nature of what kind of person is attracted to something out of the mainstream like a Segway (independent, strong willed, unconcerned about what others think of them), combined with loose moderation. I've considered leaving several times, myself, after asking what I thought were intelligent questions and being subsequently pounced on by pedantic or just mean spirited people, people who seem to think that "I'm right and your WRONG!" is sport.

I hope we can find a way to guide the culture here toward something that I truly believe better represents to overall personality of the Segway community as a whole.
Dave Bittner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 06:27 PM   #13
Mr_Laurenzano
Mr_Laurenzano will become famous soon enoughMr_Laurenzano will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member
Post Nice

Hey Bill: Sweet post.
It's like the boot scoot boggie. Shoes flying everywhere.
All sizes.
I fear this fourum, it can make or break it.
~ I was gliding home today on a no park 2 foot and some guy in Elvis glasses Growled at me, not like I had space to vent or worship the king so the right hand rose blossum gave spit with a Hurr you, it startled me. Its sunday wave or go home.
Niel Young said it best.
'If I had a nickle for every song I played..."
and i will be right back out there tommorow its got'a get better than yesterday.
Have a wonderful fullfilling sunday, monday is on it's tail.
Crash

Last edited by Mr_Laurenzano; 03-23-2008 at 06:30 PM.. Reason: what are they called? verbage..
Mr_Laurenzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 10:22 PM   #14
quade
quade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member

Segway Chat is pretty mild both in terms of hostile environment and in moderation; seriously.

I've seen much worse internet bullying on other forums and the worst participants here are nothing to worry or get excited about. Besides which, this forum is moderated to, well, nearly "Focus on the Family" standards. Argue all day and all night and it's still really nothing to get excited about. Although I will say that what would be considered simply an aside elsewhere here is sometimes laughable in the amount of umbrage some people can take away from it. Seriously folks, sometimes comments are, in fact, innocent and don't always have to be taken the "wrong way" simply for sake of argument.

There are as many reasons to join and participate in a forum as there are users. Each of us makes our own decisions to come and go. Nobody is forcing anyone to stay and people leaving on their own do so simply because whatever motivated them to be here in the first place is either not here or has been fulfilled.

Those leaving and writing emotion filled good bye letters, well, I'm no psychologist, but to me that's not a good bye letter; it's a cry for help. They still need something, but can't find it and unfortunately either pride or lack of vocabulary prevents them from asking in a way that would actually be useful.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:03 PM   #15
jryan
jryan will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Talking

Every forum has drama, it doesn't matter which forum you choose. If moderators are present and actively moderating than there is drama with the moderators (although participation significantly lowers this, it is a lot easier to respect the decisions of someone who takes an active posting role)! If there are no moderators (very few forums have this but there are some) or if there are moderators that never log on or moderate than there will be drama between members.

Here we have both, but not to the extent that many forums have. There is only one forum in which I have been a member for 6 months and have never seen any drama towards mods or between members and that is the newf.net forum. Now, if you do not own a Newfoundland (or a Newfoundland doesn't own you) than this forum would probably not have much for you!

You will find the drama everywhere you go, that's just the way it is. This is not only online forums yet this is life! Get used to it! It may not be right but it is the way it is!

Jeremy Ryan
Old 03-24-2008, 12:41 PM   #16
nickyboy
nickyboy will become famous soon enoughnickyboy will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Well said Bill. I have to say I was getting more than a little frustrated and bored by the "politics". Some times it is easier just to not bother, and as you say, fade away. Tough, y'all stuck with me for a while longer yet.
+R to you Bill.

Southern Segway
Tel: 0845 619 0007

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

nickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote