SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Miscellaneous topics and for general social, non-Segway discussions.

Old 08-23-2010, 05:54 PM   #1
mgalliani

Default Time to admit we could be doing something constructive

I have been reading threads on forums for about 18 months now. About 12 months ago I started to reply and post some of my thoughts. What I have concluded is that I watch intelligent people get into intelligent arguments or I get into intelligent arguments with intelligent people (and sometimes there are morons who pipe in) but nothing good is coming out of it. Nothing is getting solved. Sure we can figure out why our Segways aren’t working correctly or where to get the best service. That’s why we came to this site in the first place, but we stayed because we found intelligent people to share ideas with.

Well I think it is about time I step it up a notch. I have watched DRAFT work their butts off but I have done nothing to help. I also want to know what else I can be of help with and I want to partner with any intelligent people here.

I am disabled and I have lots of time on my hands. I don’t want to spend it arguing politics with people who I respect I’d much rather find a project with them that we can complete together and discuss (even heatedly) the best way to get it done. I want to feel like I’ve completed something at the end of the day not just that I’ve argued with faceless folks on SC. I'm talking about a project to help something or someone.

If you feel the same way let me know. I have no project. I have no agenda. I have a Strong Information Technology Background with a Masters Degree. I also have MS with some cognitive and vertigo issues (so I don’t go at full speed anymore but all cylinders fire).
Old 08-23-2010, 06:19 PM   #2
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Celebrate Segways....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgalliani View Post
I have been reading threads on forums for about 18 months now. About 12 months ago I started to reply and post some of my thoughts. What I have concluded is that I watch intelligent people get into intelligent arguments or I get into intelligent arguments with intelligent people (and sometimes there are morons who pipe in) but nothing good is coming out of it. Nothing is getting solved. Sure we can figure out why our Segways aren’t working correctly or where to get the best service. That’s why we came to this site in the first place, but we stayed because we found intelligent people to share ideas with.

Well I think it is about time I step it up a notch. I have watched DRAFT work their butts off but I have done nothing to help. I also want to know what else I can be of help with and I want to partner with any intelligent people here.

I am disabled and I have lots of time on my hands. I don’t want to spend it arguing politics with people who I respect I’d much rather find a project with them that we can complete together and discuss (even heatedly) the best way to get it done. I want to feel like I’ve completed something at the end of the day not just that I’ve argued with faceless folks on SC. I'm talking about a project to help something or someone.

If you feel the same way let me know. I have no project. I have no agenda. I have a Strong Information Technology Background with a Masters Degree. I also have MS with some cognitive and vertigo issues (so I don’t go at full speed anymore but all cylinders fire).
How about some kind of a plan to celebrate--and inform--when the new ADA rules take effect Jan 26 2011? I don't particularly like demonstrations--and they are a bit pointless if you are the only one around-- but some kind of info, positive video and publicity for radio, TV (network and local), newspapers, Facebook....

Publicity about Segways, how they work for various purposes, planned tours, whatever, Publicity about ADA access for Segs and the affirmative changes in the ADA rules...

Off the top of my head.....

Lily
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 10:35 PM   #3
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

I know of some people with challenges, and using a segway for them is a great alternative to all the other options. Helping them with their challenges is worthy.

I would rather not have to follow those with disabilities and their ADA protections. I feel that a segway is a great choice, not for the mobility impaired (or not only for them) but also as a simple conveyance from here to there.

I believe that segways are smart transportation, and can and should stand on that alone. I would love to further involve myself in protecting the rights of everyday seggers, challenged or not.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 05:16 PM   #4
mgalliani

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily Kerns View Post
How about some kind of a plan to celebrate--and inform--when the new ADA rules take effect Jan 26 2011? I don't particularly like demonstrations--and they are a bit pointless if you are the only one around-- but some kind of info, positive video and publicity for radio, TV (network and local), newspapers, Facebook....

Publicity about Segways, how they work for various purposes, planned tours, whatever, Publicity about ADA access for Segs and the affirmative changes in the ADA rules...

Off the top of my head.....

Lily
I love this idea. would you help me?
I have some real good contacts
PM me if you want to peruse
Old 08-24-2010, 05:23 PM   #5
mgalliani

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
I know of some people with challenges, and using a segway for them is a great alternative to all the other options. Helping them with their challenges is worthy.

I would rather not have to follow those with disabilities and their ADA protections. I feel that a segway is a great choice, not for the mobility impaired (or not only for them) but also as a simple conveyance from here to there.

I believe that segways are smart transportation, and can and should stand on that alone. I would love to further involve myself in protecting the rights of everyday seggers, challenged or not.
Karl,

I don't disagree with anything your saying but that is a real tough fight. Bicycle riders, skateboarders, roller skaters, have always had to fight for their slice of land usage. I'm just afraid that being lumped into that same type of group puts you in the back of the pack and just by doing a basic cost benefit analysis it's a poor fight to take on.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:44 PM   #6
KSagal
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

Quote:
Karl,

I don't disagree with anything your saying but that is a real tough fight. Bicycle riders, skateboarders, roller skaters, have always had to fight for their slice of land usage. I'm just afraid that being lumped into that same type of group puts you in the back of the pack and just by doing a basic cost benefit analysis it's a poor fight to take on.

But if we only did easy things, life would not improve. Most worthy things in life I have found were hard to do.

The harder the task, the sweeter the success.

One story I tell about my first born son, when he was less than a year old, and just learning to walk. He loved to climb stairs, and as most dads, I was right behind him. The odd thing about Drew, is that he would get about 1/2 up the stairs, and just turn and jump. (He never looked before he leaped) He knew that I was there to catch him, it was not a risk in his mind, his dad (me) my ability to catch him were constants in his mind.

Clearly, this was a harrowing time for me. He was too young to be taught how dangerous it was, and too young to learn that life is not always going to work out as well as you plan.

Well, we both survived that period. I love the fact that his life was so simple, and that he was so happy and content, knowing that I would always be there to catch him...

Difficult tasks, like getting access for segways, because they are smart transportation, and add to the rich texture of our lives, without taking away anything of lasting value, are a worthy task, because they make up the support structure for those who follow. Most parents will tell you that one of the greatest joys in life is being able to provide for your children, and provide them with a safe and rich life.

I extend this to the concept of helping the whole village to have that safe and rich life. For me, allowing a bit longer innocence in my children, and not letting them know how hard it was to get to this place. For future seggers, who may take for granted the hard fought and won rights they have, it is the same. When my children and grand children are my age, and think nothing at all of the different choices in transportation, it will be because of us, and our thankless efforts to improve the texture of today’s life.

My twist on not relying on ADA or for those with government protected mobility rights and to instead rely on logic and good sense has several layers. If a person were to make the smart choice to use a segway, that should be enough. It should not depend upon their ability to prove a disability or hope for ‘tolerance’ from others. One thing I love about the segway is the universality of it. On a segway, I am just like all others on a segway. That is not so when hiking, biking, or most other things…

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.

Last edited by KSagal; 08-24-2010 at 06:03 PM..
Old 08-24-2010, 06:22 PM   #7
mgalliani

I just feel a victory celebration about the ADA changes properly purposed to "ELLEN" "THE DOCTORS" “THE TODAY SHOW" etc has a much better chance of getting picked up then pushing for Segways for all. I like the idea of Segways for all please don't get me wrong. Right now I'd like to just see if I can grab the low hanging fruit.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:26 PM   #8
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
I just feel a victory celebration about the ADA changes properly purposed to "ELLEN" "THE DOCTORS" “THE TODAY SHOW" etc has a much better chance of getting picked up then pushing for Segways for all. I like the idea of Segways for all please don't get me wrong. Right now I'd like to just see if I can grab the low hanging fruit.
Hmmmmm.... I don't disagree either, Karl, but I suspect that anything that publicizes Segways being used purposefully by individuals--and beyond Mall Cop image--will benefit everyone. Besides if the disabled can make use of one, maybe they really are more than just expensive toys...

The green elements are worth promoting too--if you can get past the dork concept.

I wish too that there was some way of giving people a sense of the wonderful rhythm and flow of riding one--Can you tell I have a dancer's soul?

Hmmm...Marc, maybe a Segway dance team? Would that on the Today show maybe speak to more creative people than polo (rich mans hobby?)

Or a golf team/tournament/exhibition? Any golf pro's that could be enlisted to do this for DRAFT?

Or a group of DRAFT recipients doing some thing in their communities or as a demonstration of Segway capabilities. Would that intrigue The Doctors show?

Isn't it fun when creative ideas start flowing.....even if they might not all be so immediately practical... <G>

Lily
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 12:25 AM   #9
KSagal

Wow, this has caught me by surprise.

This is the general discussion forum on segway chat. This is not the special needs, Mobility and Disabled forum. This is not a discussion thread on the DRAFT website.

I feel the clear and distinct discrimination against advocacy for segways for able bodied people from Marc and Lily.

If you don't like my ideas, or don't wish to hear them, don't ask for them here.

By the way, the segway dance has already been done, at the 2003 segwayfest, by able bodied seggers.

I tried to express that some of the magic of segways is that those with mobility challenges and those without them are almost indistinguishable while on board.

That dance team on a talk show, gliding smoothly, and evenly, would have even more impact, if afterwards, everyone gets off their segways, and what was clear and obvious as a smooth and even team then diversifies to a myriad of different physical abilities.

In a bit of a way, I am now sorry I offered a response on this thread. I fight every day for all people to be treated equally. To be dissed because I thought to respond that not only the disabled need segway advocacy, but all seggers do.

And by the way, there are many people who do not fit into any particular label, nor do they want to. Calling oneself disabled carries with it baggage that some do not want, and calling one able bodied may not be accurate either, for many people and many conditions that come and go, or flare up and calm down.

If a person chooses to dump their car, and commute to work via segway, it is no less an example of purposefully by individuals than the person who dumps their wheelchair. When a person uses their segway to go to the grocery store, that is also proof that they are more than just expensive toys.

I am very happy that the universal design of the segway is so complete that many in the disabled community are able to use them as well as anyone else. That does not however negate the several markets the inventor had in mind when he made the machine.

Last edited by KSagal; 08-25-2010 at 12:32 AM..
Old 08-25-2010, 02:00 AM   #10
PeteInLongBeach
PeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura aboutPeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
If you don't like my ideas, or don't wish to hear them, don't ask for them here.

In a bit of a way, I am now sorry I offered a response on this thread. I fight every day for all people to be treated equally. To be dissed because I thought to respond that not only the disabled need segway advocacy, but all seggers do.
Both Marc and Lily specifically and politely said they didn't disagree with you - they did not even imply a negative reaction. There was nothing personal in their responses.

Marc started a general brainstorming post about constructive things to do. I think the ADA "hook" for promotional purposes was well intended and understandable, and in no way negates any views about general use. Like the song from Gypsy says: "you gotta have a gimmick if you wanna have a chance"....
PeteInLongBeach is offline   Reply With Quote