SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion > Reference Information & How-To's

Notices

Reference Information & How-To's Valuable reference information, stolen Segway reporting, how-to's, error codes & more.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:24 PM   #1
OregonForester
OregonForester will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default SegVator Help and Hints

I received my SegVator on Friday.
It took about 45 minutes to assemble (15 minutes of which was removing all of the shipping tape!).
A great product! I'm very pleased.

Now, even my 9 year old granddaughter can load and unload our Segs by herself.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:09 PM   #2
OregonForester

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob.Kerns View Post
Did you get it with the inverter?
Yes, I did, and I was also pleasantly suprised that it also included two coiled charging cords.

The one mod that I feel that I need to make is that the inverter cover needs to be "open" while charging (to reduce the heat that is generated)...however, I fear that the hinged cover will "dangle" in the wind, and bang against my tailgate. A simple fix will enable me to simply remove the cover while travelling.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:49 PM   #3
OregonForester

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Yes, the cover is there to protect the inverter from the rain, but it has a hinged lid that has to be left open when the power cords are attached.
The hinged lid swings towards my tailgate.
I would only remove the lid when the weather is good (and I since I am fairweather bitch, I typically only Seg in sunny weather), but in inclement weather, I would simply not charge my Segs while travelling.
Even leaving the cover to "dangle" would expose the inverter to the elements.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:31 PM   #4
OregonForester

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

I too, am reluctant to travel with my Segs exposed to the elements, but due to the fact that I normally drive a pickup, when I do load them into the bed they are already exposed.
As far as allowing the inverter to be a victim of foul weather, I will simply not use it in the rain.
When considering the overall cost of a SegVator however, the additional cost of $100 for the inverter is (IMHO) a bargain, especially due to the fact that it is there if I need it.

I am also concerned that if anyone should hit me from behind, the first casualties will be (not only) the SegVator, but also $11K worth of Segways.

That is a risk that I have to assume. That, or walk when I arrive at my destination.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:32 PM   #5
DarthSegVator
DarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really nice

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonForester View Post
Yes, I did, and I was also pleasantly suprised that it also included two coiled charging cords.

The one mod that I feel that I need to make is that the inverter cover needs to be "open" while charging (to reduce the heat that is generated)...however, I fear that the hinged cover will "dangle" in the wind, and bang against my tailgate. A simple fix will enable me to simply remove the cover while travelling.
I sent you a PM on one way to address this concern.
DarthSegVator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 05:58 PM   #6
OregonForester

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSegVator View Post
I sent you a PM on one way to address this concern.
Thanks Darth, I do appreciate the PM. I really think that you should post it publicly, as it contains very good advice.

You build an excellent product, and obviously provide great customer service as well.

btw...I have partial interest in a metal fab shop, and all four of the welders there were very impressed with both your design, and your work.

Thanks again!
Old 02-11-2009, 08:44 PM   #7
DarthSegVator
DarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really nice

Here's what I sent to OregonForester:

The door will flop around and we haven't spent any time working on this due to Segs4Vets priorities.

I use some zip-ties in series (depending on the length) and snug them up with the door open (and the cords plugged in). Trim off the excess from the tie ends (use black ties) and leave in place when the door is closed.

You can kind of thread (or tuck) one of the ties beneath the two inverter box mounting screws and it will stay in place.

This method only allows the door to open enough to attach the power cords and doesn't flap around when in use.

I hope this helps. I can snap a photo if you like.

Also, keep an eye on the rubber feet on the locking arms. If the platform gets sticky (especially in hot weather) they can be pulled-off when lowering the Segway.

I've used Plasti-Dip (in black) to dip the rubber feet section of the locking arms just up to the first slight bend point (about 1 1/2"). Coat it a couple of times letting it cure (dry) in between.

I haven't had an issue since using the Plasti-Dip. I found mine at Tru-Value hardware. A small can goes a long way.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need any other "tips".

Note: The Plasti-Dip idea came from JGBackes - Thanks Jeff! OregonForester also suggested velcro to keep the door from flapping or a small bungee cord.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:35 PM   #8
emrnyc
emrnyc is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Inverter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSegVator View Post
Here's what I sent to OregonForester:

The door will flop around and we haven't spent any time working on this due to Segs4Vets priorities.

I use some zip-ties in series (depending on the length) and snug them up with the door open (and the cords plugged in). Trim off the excess from the tie ends (use black ties) and leave in place when the door is closed.

You can kind of thread (or tuck) one of the ties beneath the two inverter box mounting screws and it will stay in place.

This method only allows the door to open enough to attach the power cords and doesn't flap around when in use.

I hope this helps. I can snap a photo if you like.

Also, keep an eye on the rubber feet on the locking arms. If the platform gets sticky (especially in hot weather) they can be pulled-off when lowering the Segway.

I've used Plasti-Dip (in black) to dip the rubber feet section of the locking arms just up to the first slight bend point (about 1 1/2"). Coat it a couple of times letting it cure (dry) in between.

I haven't had an issue since using the Plasti-Dip. I found mine at Tru-Value hardware. A small can goes a long way.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need any other "tips".

Note: The Plasti-Dip idea came from JGBackes - Thanks Jeff! OregonForester also suggested velcro to keep the door from flapping or a small bungee cord.
Our problem with the inverter is that when you try to plug in the cords it is on an angle and you can't plug the plugs in all the way. Also when we plug in 2 segways the over current alarm goes off....
Martin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NYC's Only Segway Trained Level 1 & Level 2 Service Tech

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

8 EMS - 37 PAPD - 23 NYPD - 343 FDNY
Never forget our Brother & Sister Heroes 9/11/01.
It was not how they died that made them heroes.....
It was how they lived!

Check out Emergency Medical Rescue of New York City's website
emrnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 12:07 AM   #9
DarthSegVator

The older three-prong spiral power cord plugs do fit all the way in, but they are tight. It takes a bit of work to get them seated. The newer two-prong spiral power cords are much easier.

On the charging issue, first make sure the vehicle is running.

When charging two Segways, plug one in and wait a minute or two before plugging in the other Segway. This will allow the first one to go through the initial surge cycle and level out at around 140W before the second goes through its initial surge. This should clear up the issue with the inverter alarm.

I hope this helps.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:35 AM   #10
wwhopper
Advanced Member
wwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

This thread is being started to hold hints and discussions from another thread that were off topic.
wwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote