SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 02-14-2007, 09:20 AM   #1
DarthSegVator
DarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really nice

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Default SegPlow - The SegVator Snow Plow

You just won't believe it until you see it in action. We hope to have a video clip on our website soon.

The SegPlow has three settings...straight and angle right or left. It has two mounting brackets bolted to the Segway which allow a qiuck-attach and release...once the brackets are mounted it goes on or comes off in about 10 seconds.

The mounting brackets take around 15 min. per side to mount and then are removed after the winter season. The design of the plow frame prevents the Segway from falling over (forward or backward) should you loose traction or exceed the limits of the Segway. This is not to say that you can't take a spill if you loose your balance, but you won't face-plant the Segway. The plow frame allows enough movement to propel forward or back but not enough to get you into too much trouble.

The biggest issue is wheel spin when traction is lost or exceeding machine limits. You need to be prepared to quickly step off the rear of the Segway and bring the Segway to a level (fore/aft) position until it calms down.

Raising the plow is done with the heel of either foot via a foot bar at the rear of the platform. The SegPlow has dual tilt springs should you contact an obstacle or crack the the pavement.

This is intended for an experienced glider. It takes a bit of practice but I can clear my driveway in half the time of the snow blower. The black key is maximum recommended speed as you tend to want to go to max. available speed and the red key is just too fast. Battery life has been excellent, even in heavier snow. I have done three large driveways in heavy snow on a single charge (L-ions).

Once you get above about 4-5 inches of snow, angle plowing (windrowing) doesn't work very well. You angle plow a path in the center of the driveway and then straight plow side-to-side when the snow gets too deep to angle plow all the way to the edge of the driveway. Still goes very quickly.

Designed for either the XT or the x2. Like all SegVator products, the proceeds go to DRAFT's Segs4Vets program.

Who said plowing can't be fun?

Product will be distributed through your authorized Segway dealer when available.

100_1009.jpg

100_1010.jpg
DarthSegVator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 09:30 AM   #2
radharvey
radharvey is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member
Talking Funny....

I mentioned this idea to Jared yesterday while he was 'digging out' his store. I am just too slow.... it's already been done

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
radharvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 09:32 AM   #3
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Hmm. Try getting that into Disney!
Old 02-14-2007, 11:00 AM   #4
wwhopper
Advanced Member
wwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default We have the video at the shop

As well as the order form for the Segvator Snow Plow

Looks like a blast!

I went out in my I2 today, the icey pellety snow was too much for it, so I suppose I will have to out and buy a X2 for days like today! ;-)
wwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 12:35 PM   #5
Isidore
Isidore will become famous soon enoughIsidore will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwhopper View Post
As well as the order form for the Segvator Snow Plow

Looks like a blast!

I went out in my I2 today, the icey pellety snow was too much for it, so I suppose I will have to out and buy a X2 for days like today! ;-)
Bill, thanks for the excellent accessory service earlier this week, hope you didn't o.d. on caffeine in Starbucks waiting for me while I sorted out driving the wrong way around the Beltway. It was just starting to snow when I eventually got to Dulles...

As for the snowplough, it looks an absolute blast, but don't let the polo guys get hold of one!
Old 02-14-2007, 01:15 PM   #6
polo_pro
Advanced Member
polo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member Segway Polo Player
Default very cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSegVator View Post
You just won't believe it until you see it in action. We hope to have a video clip on our website soon.

The SegPlow has three settings...straight and angle right or left. It has two mounting brackets bolted to the Segway which allow a qiuck-attach and release...once the brackets are mounted it goes on or comes off in about 10 seconds.
I predict this will be a big seller. If I were still in Chicago, I'd get it in a heartbeat. When I think about this, your target market should be any kid who has an XT! Talk about making money with your segway, eh?

ps - The only problem I can see with this whole plan is that the Li-Ion batteries won't last that long, so how many driveways could an enterprising young kid do before they have to wait 6 more hours for a decent charge on their Li-Ion batteries. If they could do 5 driveways on a charge, and they got $10 per driveway, then they might be able to cover the costs of an extra pair of Li-Ions after just one season of plowing.

Ah...to be young again and ambitious again, eh?
polo_pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 01:24 PM   #7
culs
culs is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member
Default Seg in the snow, might try hand plow

Those photos of SegPlow are awesome! Great Wisconsin ingenuity. I just come back from a very brief Seg trip around the block in the midst of a snow storm here. Traction is great as long as I am slow...as folks may know Segways can do OK in the snow, but ice is trouble...

I have heavy metal snow shovel, maybe I'll try pushing it around for clean-up, slight-angle windrowing (great word) after using my snowblower, which given my mobility issues I use like a walker.
culs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 02:49 PM   #8
Sunday
Sunday is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member
Default Cool!

I love that plow! Also looks like the rider has the same North Face coat I wear in winter! That makes it so much easier for me to imagine myself on a SegPlow Also, has anyone tried running those X machines with chains? I see chains on some snowblowers, and I wonder if they might work.

Mark

Last edited by Sunday; 02-14-2007 at 02:56 PM..
Sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 03:21 PM   #9
polo_pro
Advanced Member
polo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member Segway Polo Player
Default traction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday View Post
Also, has anyone tried running those X machines with chains? I see chains on some snowblowers, and I wonder if they might work.
I'm not sure I'd want to be near an XT with chains when it experienced a "loss of traction" event. Maybe the chains would work so well, that this would only happen very rarely, but otherwise those chains would spin up pretty fast (and any stray link would pulverize the fenders).
polo_pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 03:45 PM   #10
hellphish
hellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by plo View Post
I'm not sure I'd want to be near an XT with chains when it experienced a "loss of traction" event. Maybe the chains would work so well, that this would only happen very rarely, but otherwise those chains would spin up pretty fast (and any stray link would pulverize the fenders).
I'm suddenly reminded of a weed-whacker. Except instead of a thin nylon cord cutting plants, you'd have a thick metal chain bashing shins.
hellphish is offline   Reply With Quote