SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Miscellaneous topics and for general social, non-Segway discussions.

Old 03-17-2012, 12:37 AM   #21
Civicsman
Civicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

Quote:
It was not until that negative publicity spread from the relative obscurity of Mike Daisey’s off-Broadway monologue, The Agony and Ecstasy of Steve Jobs, to the front page of The New York Times and then to broadcast networks that Apple took more-meaningful action, allowing the Fair Labor Association to conduct special audits of its suppliers’ factories in China
Although Daisey's monologue may have called attention to the situation, Daisey himself is catching a lot of flack in the last couple of days for...um...enhancing his story. The This American Life radio show has run an apology, saying that although some parts of the monologue were verifiable, other parts were not. For example, he says he saw workers that looked 12 or 13 years old, but he did not verify their age.

Note: Foxconn's suicide catch nets are real enough.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:32 AM   #22
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civicsman View Post
Although Daisey's monologue may have called attention to the situation, Daisey himself is catching a lot of flack in the last couple of days for...um...enhancing his story. The This American Life radio show has run an apology, saying that although some parts of the monologue were verifiable, other parts were not. For example, he says he saw workers that looked 12 or 13 years old, but he did not verify their age.

Note: Foxconn's suicide catch nets are real enough.
I came here to post this, to find you'd beaten me to it. Good job --- here's more details.

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/201...ts-story.shtml

People like this harm journalism, society, the innocent -- and the very victims they claim to want to help, by casting discredit on any valid concerns.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:25 PM   #23
Civicsman
Civicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

Quote:
People like this harm journalism, society, the innocent -- and the very victims they claim to want to help, by casting discredit on any valid concerns.
I agree.

However, Daisey claims that he is not a journalist. He claims he is an entertainer, and therefore not responsible for being factual, and that his choice of words, being nothing more than entertainment, is protected free speech.

That's the same approach that Rush Limbaugh took, just a week ago. However, like with Limbaugh, some people apparently believe Daisey was being factual.

This American Life, to their credit, ran a long and agonizing admission and apology. I will also point out that Daisey's Chinese interpreter disavowed some aspects of the story, but she, like every other individual in China, reports to the Chinese government in the end. I have no faith in what she says, either.

Last edited by Civicsman; 03-17-2012 at 12:40 PM..
Old 03-17-2012, 09:38 PM   #24
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
I agree.

However, Daisey claims that he is not a journalist. He claims he is an entertainer, and therefore not responsible for being factual, and that his choice of words, being nothing more than entertainment, is protected free speech.

That's the same approach that Rush Limbaugh took, just a week ago. However, like with Limbaugh, some people apparently believe Daisey was being factual.

This American Life, to their credit, ran a long and agonizing admission and apology. I will also point out that Daisey's Chinese interpreter disavowed some aspects of the story, but she, like every other individual in China, reports to the Chinese government in the end. I have no faith in what she says, either.
He claims to be a storyteller. I claim there is a difference between a storyteller and a liar.

I'm not sure there IS a difference between a government PR official and a liar, Chinese or otherwise.

Limbaugh is not a storyteller.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:18 PM   #25
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob.Kerns View Post

Limbaugh is not a storyteller.
It could be said that he is a sheep herder. And he is not alone, although he is very accomplished in his chosen variant on his profession.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:59 PM   #26
Civicsman

5 yr Member

Quote:
...he is very accomplished in his chosen variant on his profession.
That's the truth! There's a Seeker born every minute.

He makes about $50 million per year. You can buy a LOT of Oxycontin for that.

Wonder if he pays any taxes.?
Old 03-18-2012, 09:17 AM   #27
KSagal
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

Quote:
That's the truth! There's a Seeker born every minute.

He makes about $50 million per year. You can buy a LOT of Oxycontin for that.

Wonder if he pays any taxes.?
Compared to whom? John Kerry? Al Gore? Michael Moore? The hypocracy runs rampant on both sides.

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:50 AM   #28
Civicsman

5 yr Member

Quote:
Compared to whom?
What comparison are you trying to draw? Is the question whether he can buy more Oxycontin with $50 million than some other guy?

I was agreeing that Limbaugh is very successful in his self-described role as an entertainer, just like those world-wide wrestling folks are self-described entertainers, not really wrestlers.

I wondered if he pays taxes, or if he finds (legal) ways not to do so. To be sure, others find (legal) ways to avoid taxes, but the question stands by itself.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:09 PM   #29
KSagal

Quote:
What comparison are you trying to draw? Is the question whether he can buy more Oxycontin with $50 million than some other guy?

I was agreeing that Limbaugh is very successful in his self-described role as an entertainer, just like those world-wide wrestling folks are self-described entertainers, not really wrestlers.

I wondered if he pays taxes, or if he finds (legal) ways not to do so. To be sure, others find (legal) ways to avoid taxes, but the question stands by itself.
The comparison I was trying to make, was in answer to your question. John Kerry as an example made news for a moment (as the press likes to attack others types) because he bought a $8 mil or so yacht, and moored it in neighboring Rhode Island so he could save on the property taxes that his home Massachusetts would impose.

I am unfamiliar with any similar tax avoidance story for Limbaugh, and he is of the type that the press likes to attack, so I would imagine any tax irregularities would be gleefully exposed.

You offered up the question as to Limbaughs taxes, and decided not to respond to my comparison to others who make a lot of money in the same business as Limbaugh, yet have had tax problems.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:22 PM   #30
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
The comparison I was trying to make, was in answer to your question. John Kerry as an example made news for a moment (as the press likes to attack others types) because he bought a $8 mil or so yacht, and moored it in neighboring Rhode Island so he could save on the property taxes that his home Massachusetts would impose.
This is what we get (and deserve) for electing rich people to make our decisions for us.

So, Limbaugh being rich, and being a big advocate of low taxes on the rich, it is natural to wonder about his tax situations.

Comparisons between people aren't really the point here. Looking at public people's public positions, and whether they are self-serving, or (as in Kerry's situation) contradicted by their own actions is more the point. But it's adding to a long list, based on comparison WITH THEMSELVES, rather than each other.

Closed Thread