SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 08-03-2019, 08:37 AM   #1
flickroll
flickroll is on a distinguished road

3 yr Member
Default Segway X2 SE Golf - Why Did Segway Drop Them?

I recently purchased a new Segway SE X2 with turf tires. Segway has discontinued the golf rack attachment but I was lucky enough to find 2 brand new ones, so I bought an attachment for everyday use and am keeping one for spare parts should the need ever arise.

The personal transporter is an emerging market in the golf industry. Numerous companies are delivering scooters, ‘surf boards’, etc, and there will be lots more of them as time goes on. After looking at the various models of PT’s from non Segway companies I concluded all of them had limitations and so I decided to buy the Segway. I ride it from my home, play 18, and ride it back home, returning home with about half of the battery meter showing. My course is very hilly which has been no problem for the Segway. I love the Segway and after people stop staring at it I have been getting mostly positive comments from everyone including the head professional at the course. To me it is about perfect.

Does anyone know why Segway decided to discontinue the Segway Golf from it’s lineup? I cannot think of a good reason to have done that. I think many people at my course would buy one if they were available, and Segway is missing out on a great business opportunity with this rapidly growing market.

Thanks

Last edited by flickroll; 08-03-2019 at 02:13 PM..
flickroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 01:58 AM   #2
bvelke
bvelke will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

My local golf course wouldn't let me use one. I don't know if it is true but I heard that the golf cart concession was united against use of the X2 and may have intimidated course owners to not allow them. If true, that would cripple the market.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bvelke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 11:13 AM   #3
Don M
Don M is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I suspect the reason the golf package was discontinued was because they were selling so few of them - Simple supply and demand. The price probably had something to do with that . . . . even used, the prices are just ridiculous

Don
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 05:57 PM   #4
Philip
Philip will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member
Default Segway Golf is about 10% of sales here in NZ

I remember selling a few first-generation Segway GTs, around 10 units or so. People really liked them because they were relatively small and light. Most courses permitted them, at least in dry weather. This would be about 10% of the ~125 units that I imported.

The Gen2 x2 Golf was a much more substantial machine - wider and heavier. So taking it from course to course took a little more effort. But in some respects it was safer with its very wide wheels. The green keepers loved the x2 Golf because it could be used on days when no other vechiles could be used (not even 6 or 8 wheeled 'gators) - it really is that lightweight on the ground when gliding over the wet fairways. We actually did a 6 week trial on Auckland's wettest course in winter, and the 3 x2 Golfs could operate on most days during the period without doing damage.

The primary objection we ran into here in New Zealand between 2008 and ~2012 was, well, a global recession, and also strong push-back from golf cart companies. The staff at the Pro Shops were never too keen to hire out x2 Golfs. It is easy for a busy Pro Shop staff to toss keys to a golf cart to anyone, but hiring a PT needs training. One thing we tried to improve this situation was provide free, short lessons for 3 weeks during introduction, to upskill members.

I think this product will become easier to sell in the future, as more people already know how to ride self-balancing machines.

Currently, for private sales, the golf model is still about 10% of sales to private individuals. Our business configures new x2 SE Turf units with lightly used and reconditions Golf kits from x2 Golf units.

For a future x2 SE Golf version, I feel the front bar needs to reshaped similar to the structural frame used on the e167 (but turned upside down). This would keep the front of the machine entirely open for unexpected dismounts off the front, while maintaining a stiff link between both side frames. Also, recutting the gearboxe gear ratios down for a top speed of ~16 km/h to boost torque by ~20% for hillier courses. We found heavier, older golfers with lots of clubs sometimes struggled on certain courses.

Last edited by Philip; 08-11-2019 at 05:59 PM.. Reason: Changed type ("5"==>"%")
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote