SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > Science and Technology

Notices

Science and Technology Science & technology discussions not related to the Segway. This includes discussion of Segway knockoffs and clones.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:20 AM   #21
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amimoto View Post
Please use protective gear, a knee protection and gloves would be a good idea, as when you lose balance while turning, it's likely you hands and knee will have contact with ground.

sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk APP
Thanks for your concern. I will take some sensible precautions.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:17 PM   #22
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

It is actually very easy to step off of the Solowheel. You're very low to the ground and your feet have plenty of escape routes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Old 08-02-2014, 07:59 AM   #23
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Well, it still hasn't arrived yet but I now have confirmation that it will be dispatched on Monday for delivery on Tuesday. I bought a used model - an ex demo, so it is likely to be pretty bashed up but in full working order. And it was cheaper so I will see how it goes. I ended up with an x6 model which has the bigger wheel and stronger motor (and is a bit heavier), which I thought would be useful. Let the pain commence!
Old 08-04-2014, 12:28 PM   #24
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

I had the chance to ride the solowheel again. After about 30 minutes (about an hour of total time) I was able to ride around our office, through open doorways and inbetween people. After I jumped off, someone said I looked like I had been climbing a mountain. I was sweaty!

During my second time out on it, I had a really enjoyable time rapidly learning. I could feel myself getting better and better each time I stepped back on. It was definitely a challenge, but very rewarding.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Old 08-04-2014, 04:31 PM   #25
gbrandwood
Advanced Member

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Excellent! I hope I can learn as quickly.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:09 PM   #26
Gihgehls

5 yr Member

Feel free to hit me up in private if you'd like more advice. I'm open to skyping or something similar.

Old 08-05-2014, 04:56 PM   #27
gbrandwood
Advanced Member

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Thumbs up

My AirWheel arrived today, a lot more battered than expected but I suppose my purchase price reflected its condition.

I practiced for over an hour in total, going from "gee this fun" to "gee this is impossible" to "hey look I'm doing it" (followed by jumping off abruptly).

After about an hour I got the hang of starting off and keeping going. I can't really turn too well yet. I can only vaguely influence its direction but I did almost manage a turn in the road before having to stop off.

When I plan to stop, I can slow it down and step off. Nothing too graceful yet. Lots more practice required. I can see developing a skill on this device will be quite rewarding making the experience much more serene.

Like Gihgehls found, it was very tiresome and I managed to work up a sweat. Probably all the jumping off and walking back to the start in my case.

I started off by leaning against a wall and moving along it. But as soon as I moved away from the wall I had to step off. I persevered and persevered.

Luckily it comes with a strap that you can use to stop it from toppling over when you step off. It stopped it getting even more banged up than it already was.

I found going a little faster made it easier to control. Although the constant beeping every time I exceeded the envelope was abit annoying. A bit like the Segway beeping when you turn with one foot off the mat - but louder.

I agree that having ridden a Segway is not much help in terms of the required skill. But, the keeping your legs bent and loose and the observation side of things - and hazard perception etc., put me in good stead. I thought back to the "Unofficial Segway code" guide I put together - and much of the advice is relevant (but much of it was common sense anyway I guess).

I really enjoyed progressing from bumbling buffoon to just a slightly bumbling buffoon! I'll practice again tomorrow, weather permitted. Much more control is required.

I have the x6 model so it is heaver than the lighter x3 - 11.5KG versus 9.8KG. And it felt quite heavy to me - heavier than I thought it would. You couldn't really carry it very far but it is light enough to pick up and maybe take it onto a train or bus, or easily pop it in the back of your car. But I'm not the strongest guy on the planet.

I think once I develop more control I will be able to better comment on its characteristics compared to the Segway.

Last edited by gbrandwood; 08-05-2014 at 05:04 PM..
Old 08-05-2014, 06:44 PM   #28
Gihgehls

5 yr Member

So did you get a SoloWheel or an Airwheel? It seems Airwheels are much less expensive.

Old 08-06-2014, 02:19 AM   #29
gbrandwood
Advanced Member

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Mine is an AirWheel. But the Solowheel looks the same to me. Not sure if one is a copy of the other or simply different versions/branding. I've seen several different names used but they all look the same or very similar. I think the concept on all of them are the same.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:02 AM   #30
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrandwood View Post
Mine is an AirWheel. But the Solowheel looks the same to me. Not sure if one is a copy of the other or simply different versions/branding. I've seen several different names used but they all look the same or very similar. I think the concept on all of them are the same.
I wonder. I suspect that people who do not own a segway will see some of the knock offs, and feel and pretty much say the same thing...

Of course, I don't know the lineage. All I know is that the solo wheel exists, and that it was posted that Airwheels are much less expensive.

These things are often difficult to sort out.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.

Tags
crash, onewheel, ouch, solowheel