SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > Science and Technology

Notices

Science and Technology Science & technology discussions not related to the Segway. This includes discussion of Segway knockoffs and clones.

Old 06-30-2013, 02:00 PM   #1
Tritium
Tritium will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Just bought a SoloWheel...

I had been hearing about the Solowheel for years now, and at one point, decided I wanted one, so after looking around, I saw that the retail was set at $1750 and nowhere could you find one cheaper, so I put that idea to the side for a while.

Last week, I saw an auction for a solowheel and it was at $700, I decided to put a couple bids on it and soon it got to around $1300 and I got outbid so I stopped.

Then I woke up this morning to see that the Solowheel auction ended in 20 minutes, so I put a final bid of $1350 on it in the last 5 seconds, and viola! I've won!

The seller was semi-local so I'll be able to save money on post.

I have a use for it, where if I need to take a vehicle with me where the Segway isn't allowed, the solowheel can fit in a shopping bag or backpack so I'll have no trouble with Amtrak and the like, right?

I don't quite know how I'll be able to use the thing, but if I attach a pole to the handle, it may help.

Always looking to try new modes of transport, next stop, Robin M1 testing.

Does anyone here own a SoloWheel?
Any tips to prevent me getting even more disfigured?
Old 06-30-2013, 04:21 PM   #2
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

The guy I talked to, indicated you could get a major ticket for using it on the Caltrain platform, rather than carrying it. He was using it there, though.

Congratulations on winning the bid, and let us know how it goes.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Old 06-30-2013, 04:52 PM   #3
Tritium

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob.Kerns View Post
The guy I talked to, indicated you could get a major ticket for using it on the Caltrain platform, rather than carrying it. He was using it there, though.

Congratulations on winning the bid, and let us know how it goes.
I would thinks that would be so, I'm just saying that, my PT, I cannot even put inside the train, whereas a more compact and less intimidating vehicle would not be a problem.

I've taken 2 PT's on an Amtrak once, (X2 and i2) and it took up all of the space for getting around, but with a solowheel or say a robin, you can put it almost anywhere.

I often take the train and bus/trolley, so I wish I could take my Segway but it is just too heavy and bulky, but a solowheel or robin would be a good option.

I would wonder how much the ticket would be for doing that, obviously there's a major danger of falling into the tracks so I'd guess at least $500
Old 06-30-2013, 06:53 PM   #4
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritium View Post
I would thinks that would be so, I'm just saying that, my PT, I cannot even put inside the train, whereas a more compact and less intimidating vehicle would not be a problem.

I've taken 2 PT's on an Amtrak once, (X2 and i2) and it took up all of the space for getting around, but with a solowheel or say a robin, you can put it almost anywhere.

I often take the train and bus/trolley, so I wish I could take my Segway but it is just too heavy and bulky, but a solowheel or robin would be a good option.

I would wonder how much the ticket would be for doing that, obviously there's a major danger of falling into the tracks so I'd guess at least $500
He indicated it was on the order of $400.

In my experience, transit agencies are pretty paranoid about risks. What to you or me is a tiny risk, doesn't look so tiny when you scale it up to thousands of people daily.

A Segway ended up on the BART tracks a while back, when the owner suffered some medical issue. Baby carriages have also ended up on the tracks; there was another case of this just a few weeks ago -- baby included.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:44 PM   #5
Tritium

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

For the record, the manufacturer of the solowheel states:
"Specifications:• Unit Weight: 24 lbs/10 kg"
Old 09-29-2013, 07:15 PM   #6
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

So, what ever happened here? Do you use your solo wheel? Did I forget another conversation? I was looking thru some off topic posts, and stumbled upon this short thread.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:13 PM   #7
airdale
airdale will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

I realy like the RYNO wonder if you will have restrictions on that? Ive read 25mph and 12.5 mph.

So is the solo considered a mobility device? If not how does it meet the requirment?
Old 09-29-2013, 08:26 PM   #8
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdale View Post
I realy like the RYNO wonder if you will have restrictions on that? Ive read 25mph and 12.5 mph.

So is the solo considered a mobility device? If not how does it meet the requirment?
I can't see the SoloWheel working for anybody (or barely anybody) as a mobility device. It requires more active balance from the user than the Segway, and thus also more exertion.

It can't go slowly, so it really ends up only solving the "point A to point B" part of the equation, leaving you to deal with any mobility issue at both ends of the journey, burdened with an additional device.

So it would only provide advantage to a narrow range of physical capabilities, for a portion of the need. The cases where it does work -- it would work for anyone, and really should not need to be viewed as a disability aid.

I'm not saying it would absolutely never could be viewed as a mobility aid -- but I don't expect it to come up in practice.

If it ever did, I'm sure it would run into the same issues people on Segways face -- that it makes you look able-bodied, and looks like too much fun to have a serious purpose.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:15 AM   #9
airdale
airdale will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob.Kerns View Post
I can't see the SoloWheel working for anybody (or barely anybody) as a mobility device. It requires more active balance from the user than the Segway, and thus also more exertion.

It can't go slowly, so it really ends up only solving the "point A to point B" part of the equation, leaving you to deal with any mobility issue at both ends of the journey, burdened with an additional device.

So it would only provide advantage to a narrow range of physical capabilities, for a portion of the need. The cases where it does work -- it would work for anyone, and really should not need to be viewed as a disability aid.

I'm not saying it would absolutely never could be viewed as a mobility aid -- but I don't expect it to come up in practice.

If it ever did, I'm sure it would run into the same issues people on Segways face -- that it makes you look able-bodied, and looks like too much fun to have a serious purpose.
Thanks I never knew any of that!...When you rely on nothing but mobility devices Im allways hoping for somthing new and better...

I cant figure out how you get on it? from a seated posistion?
Old 09-30-2013, 11:29 AM   #10
PeteInLongBeach
PeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura aboutPeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member

Online videos show the SoloWheel to have quite a learning curve, and even then it appears quite precarious. I think this is how the uninitiated / uninformed often view the Segway...

Tags
crash, onewheel, ouch, solowheel