SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > Science and Technology

Notices

Science and Technology Science & technology discussions not related to the Segway. This includes discussion of Segway knockoffs and clones.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:34 PM   #31
bob yarbrough
bob yarbrough has a little shameless behaviour in the past

5 yr Member

Let's call it risk assessment, let's call it situational awareness. Golly let us all use big words. Call it what you like/want and while common sense may be seem specific, less direct, it is clearly more understandable by many. (IMHO) the exercise of common sense is the basis of both...

risk assessment
and
situational awareness.

Since most of the responses have indicated that they have indeed worn a helmet on occassion.

In my "some helpful tips" which clearly is for new owners and beginner Segway users one is
expected to be inexperienced. As one gains expeerience (and that is best determined by the individual user themselves) a person may indeed choose to not wear a helmet.

I find teir uncomfortableness
at wearing a helmet to be a very flimsy excuse though. If your clothes (shoes, belt, hat, etc) are too tight or loose do you take them off and simply not wear a replacement. If your uncomfortable in your driver seat do you simply not drive. If your work place temperature or work environment is uncomfortble do you simplly do not work.
NO, you exeercise some common sense regarding these situations.

be safe
enjoy your glide...

Bob Yarbrough
the PONY GUY seat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
the PONY SEAT
Old 04-30-2014, 08:25 PM   #32
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob yarbrough View Post

I find teir uncomfortableness
at wearing a helmet to be a very flimsy excuse though. If your clothes (shoes, belt, hat, etc) are too tight or loose do you take them off and simply not wear a replacement. If your uncomfortable in your driver seat do you simply not drive. If your work place temperature or work environment is uncomfortble do you simplly do not work.
NO, you exeercise some common sense regarding these situations.

be safe
enjoy your glide...

Bob Yarbrough
the PONY GUY seat
I believe that a person who says they are uncomfortable wearing a helmet may mean more or different things than exampled above.

A person who finds their helmet to be uncomfortable because it is too tight, should indeed find a bigger helmet.

But if they are uncomfortable in a pedestrian environment, like in a mall, not because the helmet does not fit, but because they feel it is presenting an over reaction to a very small risk in their opinion (back to risk assessment) and when they consider that a running person, or a person carrying bulky packages is more at risk than they, yet those other people are not wearing a helmet, then their discomfort will not be solved by a different size helmet at all.

Yes, a person may say that wearing shoes that make you uncomfortable because they are too small, may choose to wear larger shoes. But, if they are uncomfortable in shoes because they are walking on a warm sunny beach, they may solve their discomfort by removing their shoes. (and not replacing them with larger shoes)

You used the example of being uncomfortable in the driver's seat. If you are uncomfortable there, because children in the neighborhood may see you there, and they cannot drive, you may choose not drive. Much the same as the person who says they were gliding one day without a helmet, and saw children in the neighborhood also riding their conveyances without helmets, and decided to wear one, because it set a better example, and they would have been uncomfortable having been the example that was followed, that led to a child's injury.

So, in response to your question, and comment, that a person who finds clothing too tight should wear other clothing instead of not wearing clothes, I am not in disagreement.

I just do not feel that being uncomfortable in a helmet does not mean it does not fit well.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:39 PM   #33
bob yarbrough

5 yr Member

You seem to be thinking I'm suggesting a physical change. I'm thinking of it as more in the way of a change in ones perception. Of course this may include a physical change of some kind but the perception may need to be changed first.

This can be far more of a difficult change for some people to make for whatever their personal reasons(or excuses) might be.

be safe
enjoy your glide...

Bob Yarbrough
the PONY SEAT guy

the PONY SEAT
Old 04-30-2014, 11:59 PM   #34
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob yarbrough View Post
If your work place temperature or work environment is uncomfortble do you simplly do not work.
Not in my universe!

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:02 AM   #35
rotorblades
rotorblades is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee
Default lets not give anybody ideasssssshushhhhhhhhhhh

lets not give anybody ideas
ssssshushhhhhhhhhhh

I
Old 05-02-2014, 09:09 PM   #36
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorblades View Post
lets not give anybody ideas
ssssshushhhhhhhhhhh

I
The ideas are already out there.

The big thing that some people do not seem to get is that you cannot legislate common sense, or good judgement or whatever you want to call it.

The government is not a moral place. It is not full of moral people. It is full of self proclaimed aristocrats who are more concerned with their own legacy and personal wealth and influence than actually living out the constitutional blueprint of a minimalist government.

Many people have forgotten that the United States Constitution is a document that limits the federal government in many ways, and reinforces that the decision making authority lies with citizens, and the government does not have the authority to give people rights. ( But it is full of statements making it unconstitutional for the government to try to take those rights away)

Now, some people do not agree with the constitution or my views that most people if left alone, will make better decisions than the government will legislate. And of course, the reality is that it is pretty much impossible to be left alone.

So, much of the discussion on this thread has been about if people should be allowed to make their own decisions or not, or if some other authority, be it a person or an organization like a government, should make that decision for them.

Again, I am unaware of any law that requires adults to wear helmets on segways. I have asked if anyone knows of one, and got no responses. But others have said that helmets are required in some places. I do know that most tour companies require them, and that is their choice. I support that. I support any individual or business owner the right to do what they feel is best for them. They should make their own assessments, and act upon them, free of other people's requirements.

None of any of this is secret.

I suspect your "shussh" was a joke. I just do not know who you think may not already have this idea...

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:11 AM   #37
bob yarbrough

5 yr Member

So, much of the discussion on this thread has been about if people should be allowed to make their own decisions or not, or if some other authority, be it a person or an organization like a government, should make that decision for them.
==============

Again I will stand by what I stated in my video. Required is requuire if required as indicated by Karls use of some authorized(?) Segway tours. Law can mean many things, ranging from ones parents laying down the law, to subdivision by-laws, to local community regulations, through various forms of civil government all the way up to a totoal dictorship wether in a country or your local Segway tour or business entity.

Sounds like this thread may have come full circle. Did those protestors who went around tipping over smart car act on their own decisions or were they led/misled by some person or organization. We may never know.

I wish everyone a good day.

be safe
enjoy your glide...

Bob Yarbrough
the PONY SEAT guy

the PONY SEAT