SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 06-20-2009, 06:31 PM   #21
Joushou
Joushou will become famous soon enoughJoushou will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Stop it now! Don't talk more about the intelligent handling of it, or i'll freak out!
Still a week or 2 to go before i can get my x2, and this doesn't help with my patience! D':
Joushou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 08:59 PM   #22
DesertSeg
DesertSeg is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Other than aesthetics, why would one want to use an i2 for disabled use when a Gen 1 is much better suited for the task? Seems like it would be easier to make a Gen 1 LOOK like an i2 with fenders and wheels than reconfigure the mechanics of an i2 to duplicate the Gen 1 controls.

I know there are issues with the differences in wheel mounting technologies, but it seems like it would be a lot less "surgery" than the alternative!
Old 07-17-2009, 04:47 AM   #23
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSeg View Post
Other than aesthetics, why would one want to use an i2 for disabled use when a Gen 1 is much better suited for the task? Seems like it would be easier to make a Gen 1 LOOK like an i2 with fenders and wheels than reconfigure the mechanics of an i2 to duplicate the Gen 1 controls.

I know there are issues with the differences in wheel mounting technologies, but it seems like it would be a lot less "surgery" than the alternative!
I'm not sure if you intended your first statement ('Gen1 more suited..") to be broadly applied to all disabled use. It's just not the case. Certainly, Gen 1 is better for some, and of course, that's what we're talking about, so perhaps you meant it to be limited to that context.

In which case, the answer to your question is simply: "They don't make Gen1's any longer, and eventually they'll be unobtainable".

Since INC isn't likely to go back to making Gen 1's, it's worth considering how the need might otherwise be met.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 12:51 PM   #24
DesertSeg

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob.Kerns View Post
I'm not sure if you intended your first statement ('Gen1 more suited..") to be broadly applied to all disabled use. It's just not the case. Certainly, Gen 1 is better for some, and of course, that's what we're talking about, so perhaps you meant it to be limited to that context.

In which case, the answer to your question is simply: "They don't make Gen1's any longer, and eventually they'll be unobtainable".

Since INC isn't likely to go back to making Gen 1's, it's worth considering how the need might otherwise be met.
For some reason I thought that the original question was related to the use of a Segway by a disabled person in the seated position. After re-reading the thread, I mistakenly added that part on my own.

In any case, there appears to be a sufficient supply of Gen 1s available in the previously owned market and probably will be for the foreseeable future. And who knows what the Gen 3 device will look like and if it will be more suitable for use by disabled persons.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:06 PM   #25
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSeg View Post
For some reason I thought that the original question was related to the use of a Segway by a disabled person in the seated position. After re-reading the thread, I mistakenly added that part on my own.

In any case, there appears to be a sufficient supply of Gen 1s available in the previously owned market and probably will be for the foreseeable future. And who knows what the Gen 3 device will look like and if it will be more suitable for use by disabled persons.
I think we are choosing to foresee a different distance. I look at all the broken CSB's, ,the buybacks, ,etc. and foresee a day when you can't get critical parts, and the supply starts to shrink as the demand grows. We're not there yet, but thinking about solutions now isn't a waste of time, IMO.

One can foresee that happening -- one can speculate that a Gen 3 might help the situation, but I tend to speculate it won't.

I hadn't considered the question of whether a gen1 is broadly superior to a gen2 if it's primarily used in the seated position. Not having used a seated Seg (though I really wanted one on Wednesday!), I can't picture the tradeoffs well enough to form an opinion of my own, so for now I'll borrow yours... It certainly seems plausible enough.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:49 PM   #26
DesertSeg

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob.Kerns View Post
I think we are choosing to foresee a different distance. I look at all the broken CSB's, ,the buybacks, ,etc. and foresee a day when you can't get critical parts, and the supply starts to shrink as the demand grows. We're not there yet, but thinking about solutions now isn't a waste of time, IMO.

One can foresee that happening -- one can speculate that a Gen 3 might help the situation, but I tend to speculate it won't.

I hadn't considered the question of whether a gen1 is broadly superior to a gen2 if it's primarily used in the seated position. Not having used a seated Seg (though I really wanted one on Wednesday!), I can't picture the tradeoffs well enough to form an opinion of my own, so for now I'll borrow yours... It certainly seems plausible enough.
After trying a couple of different seats on my i67 and then my new i2, I can attest that the fixed steering column works much better than the leansteer setup, which was the basis for my comment.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:20 PM   #27
suerob54
suerob54

5 yr Member
Default Segway's future for disability

Since the G2s came out, I've been alert for any word of adaptations that would make them work for people with poor balance. I have primary progressive MS, which presents with foot drop, a lot of tone that stiffens my legs and makes lift at the knee difficult at best, little leg and trunk strength, and slow/late corrective response to off-balance signals.

I've used the i167 and the X2 for about 5-6 years and these machines are getting pretty thrashed. One is my town model for shopping trips and airline flights, and the other is used mostly around the place and for taking care of my horses. I carry hay, buckets, tools, ... so many strange things I wouldn't have believed possible. The rigid stem allows me to lean down and drag something (or myself) back up, and to lean on it when my strength wanes. Since I've been a horse trainer all my life, I've made the X2 my common mode of travel with my horses and have found ways to do extensive groundwork and workouts with them. It's become indispensable. That's the problem.

When the design change came out I shuddered at the thought of being without someday, so I bought another X2. Now however, the new one has a bad battery (tho used very little - probably got cold for too long), and the old one has become sluggish and goes into a chatter-fit if I try to give both horses a good workout without recharging in between. I'm hoping that new batteries will fix that.

Although I can probably find batteries and maybe a new handlebar for the one that's taped up, it's hard to imagine the future without a Segway. I'm interested in any innovative fixes or ideas that could help me keep up with the new technology. I've wondered about some sort of upright support attached to the base that would work alongside the leansteer column. Many of you seem way more savvy than I about how these things work, and I'd really appreciate any thoughts you would share.
suerob54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 04:13 PM   #28
Joushou
Joushou will become famous soon enoughJoushou will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

The problem about it, is that without opening the system, and rewiring things, there's no way to input steering without turning the funny-thingy-that-is-hard-to-turn-with-your-hand-that-you-mount-the-LSF-on... (And yes, that IS the official name of it! > ).
So, to make some genius device, that works without modifying the Segway itself, it will have to turn the FTTIHTTWYHTYMTLSFO (Very long abbreviation.), through either a servo, or a tricky mechanical mesh... And, either you, or the system has to correct for non-level terrain, as you're supposed to keep the LSF upright.

But, i must say, the LSF isn't that bad for support. If you don't have too much weight on it, it's actually quite stiff, and requires a little muscle/weight to move... And if you get the cargo-bags, you can use them for added side-support.

Reality has been scientifically proven impossible.
Joushou is offline   Reply With Quote