SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:32 AM   #1
b777ord
b777ord is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Segway on Colleges Campuses

I am now a senior in high school and just finished my college applications. For college I am thinking of getting a PT to use at school and beyond on light rail/metro systems. Does anyone have experience using a PT on a campus? I am applying to schools with campuses that are very spread out, and although I can walk, I get overtired easily.
b777ord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 11:09 AM   #2
wwhopper
Advanced Member
wwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default You will find a number of college students

on this board who use their segs on campus.

Segways are designed for on campus transportation, and many of the facilities and security depts use them.

We also have a number of the Segs4Vets reciepients who are attending college that use their Segways to get them around large schools. I know of one guy at Penn State in State College PA, one at Georgetown Law here in DC and one at ASU in Tempe AZ, all find their machines a great way to move around a large facility without having to deal with the hassles of a car.

Though many students may use a bike on campus, which can be a great mode of transportation, a Segway integrates better with pedestrians on sidewalks.
wwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 11:16 AM   #3
Cube128
Cube128 will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Hello!

I've used a Segway on a 1900-acre college campus for the last two years, not as a mobility aid but simply as a means of transportation. It really does fit in perfectly provided you follow a few simple steps.

First, and I cannot stress this enough, you must ride as carefully as possible through crowded pedestrian areas. The high-speed antics tolerated by bicyclists on campus won't fly at all on a Segway, so be aware of your surroundings and use a prudent speed at all times. Be prepared to answer a lot of questions and to recieve a lot of attention, mostly good, but occassionally a rude or ignorant remark, just don't let it get to you.

Also, decide exactly how you intend to use it. If you intend to use it as a mobility aid and glide through buildings straight to your classes, be sure to speak with the school to make sure they recognize that you are using it as a mobility aid and should be allowed to do so. If you're planning on locking it outside on a bike rack and walking the last little bit, talk to them anyway. On my campus, I've been told that the transportation and parking department considers my Segway equivalent to a type of moped and will be ticketed if locked up at a University-owned bike rack (even though tons of mopeds do this all the time and I've never seen a single ticket on them). I get around this by locking it at a city-owned bike rack, which allow mopeds provided they do not block pedestrian traffic.

A PT really is an amazing fit on a college campus, and I encourage you to give it a try. One last bit of advice: If you have a Facebook, don't flaunt the Segway .
Cube128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 11:23 AM   #4
SegWayne
SegWayne will become famous soon enoughSegWayne will become famous soon enough

Location: On Grandparent tour, currently spoiling Grandchild in Texas
5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b777ord View Post
I am now a senior in high school and just finished my college applications. For college I am thinking of getting a PT to use at school and beyond on light rail/metro systems. Does anyone have experience using a PT on a campus? I am applying to schools with campuses that are very spread out, and although I can walk, I get overtired easily.
The Dallas/Fort Worth area is very Segway friendly. By Texas state law Segways are allowed anywhere a pedestrian or bike are allowed including roads 30 mph or less (Texas state law is 551.201,202,203) Also, paths stating "no motorized vehicles allowed" do not apply to Segways. The Dart (Dallas area rapid transit) system (both bus and light rail) as well as TRE light rail systems permit Segways (disabled or able body riders) bicycle rules apply. SMU and several other university police departments use them to patrol and welcome them on campus.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:27 AM   #5
Sven
Sven is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

b777ord: l applaud your decision to continue your education. You will find that the enlightened culture of colleges and universities is very accomodating for students with disabilities. Your planned use of a Segway should be hassle-free. All campuses will have personnel charged with meeting the needs of disabled students. Be sure to meet with them as they can be very helpful. Although you did not indicate the medical condition that might prohibit you from walking from class to class, I would also encourage you to speak with your doctor and/or physical therapist regarding your specific exercise needs and limitations. It may be recommended that you limit your time on a Segway and use walking as part of a daily exercise regimen.
Sven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 09:59 AM   #6
b777ord

5 yr Member

Thanks for all the information. I have talked to some PT owners with 1st generation PTs who advised me to purchase a gen 2 if anything as the parts for the gen 1 will be out of production in 2-3 years. Is there any truth to this? I was thinking of getting a used P133, which would be a good fit for me although an i2 would also work. I also heard that in Massachusetts PTs are not allowed on the sidewalks or anywhere except private property. Does anyone know if they are working to get this resolved?
Old 12-28-2007, 10:46 AM   #7
polo_pro
Advanced Member
polo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member Segway Polo Player

I'd choose an i167 over a p133. The cost is about the same at this point (though it's hard to determine since so few p133's are being sold right now). p133 require batteries which have smaller cases. This may seem like a trivial point, but when you have to replace your batteries in a year, you may find you have no options whatsoever. At least with i167/i170/i180's, they can use Gen 2 Li-Ions batteries (if the segway has been upgraded to 14.x as most have been).

Last edited by polo_pro; 12-28-2007 at 11:14 AM..
polo_pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 09:12 PM   #8
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by b777ord View Post
Thanks for all the information. I have talked to some PT owners with 1st generation PTs who advised me to purchase a gen 2 if anything as the parts for the gen 1 will be out of production in 2-3 years. Is there any truth to this? I was thinking of getting a used P133, which would be a good fit for me although an i2 would also work. I also heard that in Massachusetts PTs are not allowed on the sidewalks or anywhere except private property. Does anyone know if they are working to get this resolved?

There are no laws regarding segways at all in Massachusetts, on a state level, that I am aware of...

Because of that, they are not "not allowed" as you stated, but also not permitted either.

You may want to check with the local town ordinances, of where you will be going to school. I know that Cambridge has town ordinances that mostly treat segways in a similar manner to bikes, but they are allowed on many sidewalks as well.

I know that Boston did not allow a tour group at one time, on a city level, but I am unaware of any law against them, and I have glided in the city many times. The local Boston Police and I have had many conversations while I was on a seg, with no problems. A Special note in Boston however is that many of the parks in town are run by a special police force that includes the Boston Common and the Esplanade (Along Charles River) and the park police have a problem with segs, and are quite rude.

Again, I would check with the police in the locality (and Campus Police) for where you intend to live and go to school.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 08:08 PM   #9
Suzined
Suzined is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default English Common Law

A beautiful thing about English Common Law is that something is only prohibited if the law specifically says it is prohibited. Thus, absent a law prohibiting Segway use, you can ride it, smoke it, even play polo on it. You don't need anyone's permission to glide. Where "prohibition" comes into play is where a rent-a-cop says "You can't ride that inherently dangerously MaCheen in here." The property owner may have the right to prohibit but not necessarily (Re: The Mouse). An entity attempting to prohibit conduct had best have the authority to prohibit (sovereignty, ownership, or other compelling interest) and if open to the public a justifiable reason.

Sorry for the mini-rant but when I hear someone needs permission, I get an urge to dump tea into harbors and stuff like that.

Happy New Year's to all!
Old 12-31-2007, 12:35 AM   #10
b777ord

5 yr Member

Does anyone have experience with their PTs on a transit system? I looked at several transit websites in the cities of schools I have applied to and they mention bikes but not PTs.