SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 12-27-2017, 12:41 PM   #201
Don M
Don M is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I had to look up Camarillo - Never heard of it!

It's not like Boston or New Orleans or Nashville (or even Biloxi ) - It needs a state behind it or most of us would have no clue where it is

Camarillo CA - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camarillo,_California

Don
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 01:06 AM   #202
Kirk
Kirk is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Assumed...

Yes, I know what happens when you assume...but, since my buddy GihGehls (who is a very prolific poster on here) introduced me to Segways, I thought everybody would know where Camarillo was. Only problem with that is, I just checked his profile and it appears he is from some intergalactic place! So, I guess I won't mention his name, either. LOL! Kirk
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 09:31 PM   #203
Seginaway
Seginaway will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member
Default Sweet Video . . .

Sweet Video.

On the other side, I finished my commute at around 10pm EST last night with the temp at 14F and wind chill about 0-5F. Trigger was a little slow on the giddyup until about half way through but then got her pep back after a few miles.

Still had speed problems on the last big hill home but we made it to the charging station and the warm (60F) garage.
Seginaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 11:42 AM   #204
Don M
Don M is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

You have my unqualified respect sir - Gliding in windchill temps below zero! Hopefully there was no snow or ice involved

I have two electric cars and it's a well documented fact that Lithium batteries lose a big chunk of their output in sub freezing temps. Once you've driven a few miles, the discharge warms the battery and it begins to perform normally again. Most EV's have a battery warming capability and will not allow you to recharge until the pack is above freezing

Don
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 12:00 PM   #205
Seginaway

5 yr Member
Default Snow . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don M View Post
You have my unqualified respect sir - Gliding in windchill temps below zero! Hopefully there was no snow or ice involved

I have two electric cars and it's a well documented fact that Lithium batteries lose a big chunk of their output in sub freezing temps. Once you've driven a few miles, the discharge warms the battery and it begins to perform normally again. Most EV's have a battery warming capability and will not allow you to recharge until the pack is above freezing

Don
Snow is not too bad, Trigger is an X2 with larger than OEM shoes. Ice can be difficult and quite dangerous as the tires spin separately causing in-balance on a regular basis. Also, my major concern is the salt or other road prep degrading Trigger over time so I try to stay on the sidewalks as much as possible.

I always thought that the battery discharge / charge on the down slope / braking heated the system up and stabilized the voltage after initial use. In many cases, I'll take a quick glide locally before I start a longer glide just to heat up / equalize the batteries.

The priority for cold weather gliding, besides a full charge, is proper apparel.

GLIDE ON!!!!!
Old 12-31-2017, 02:35 PM   #206
dmurphy
dmurphy is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
One of my favorite Segway things:

https://youtu.be/vLtTaQnVv8U

It's on the way to the Camarillo Farmer's Market- reminds me of a Disneyland ride!
Very cool video! How did you mount the camera? We have one of those bridges in the next town over. It’s posted “no bikes, skateboards, scooters etc” - has anyone ever given you a hard time riding the Segway there? Just curious - there aren’t many (if any) Segways around here, so I’d stick out like a sore thumb. Avoiding ticking off the local PD is also a goal of mine. :-)
dmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 03:20 PM   #207
Seginaway

5 yr Member
Default Excellent concept . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmurphy View Post
. . . Avoiding ticking off the local PD is also a goal of mine. :-)
Excellent concept. Never had any problem with local or foreign locales (US) PD's as Dean took care of most of those issues early on.
Old 01-01-2018, 03:18 AM   #208
Kirk
Kirk is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmurphy View Post
Very cool video! How did you mount the camera? We have one of those bridges in the next town over. It’s posted “no bikes, skateboards, scooters etc” - has anyone ever given you a hard time riding the Segway there? Just curious - there aren’t many (if any) Segways around here, so I’d stick out like a sore thumb. Avoiding ticking off the local PD is also a goal of mine. :-)
Never had an issue with someone giving me a hard time, but I always yield the right-of-way to other people unless or until they give me the go ahead. I have a bunch of different mounts for my Gopro camera, and at the moment I don't remember if I used one of the handlebar mounts (probable) or if I used the mount that is already on the Seg for the light I use. On my motorcycle I use a suction cup mount that fits right over the speedo and it aims the camera out the front fairing. Can't see how fast I'm going, but I know how fast I'm going from the tachometer...
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 04:58 PM   #209
Seginaway

5 yr Member
Default 82 degrees & sunny . . .

82 degrees & sunny . . . Now that is true gliding weather for this snow dog after my below freezing glides the last few months.
Old 02-22-2018, 03:08 AM   #210
dmurphy
dmurphy is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seginaway View Post
82 degrees & sunny . . . Now that is true gliding weather for this snow dog after my below freezing glides the last few months.
Have you heard the phrase "When my ship comes in, I'll be on a train?"

It's been 80 degrees and beautiful at home in New Jersey, and I'm in California for work where it's going to top out at about 49 degrees tomorrow.

Hope you got out and enjoyed it!!
dmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote