SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 12-08-2003, 12:53 PM   #1
Murray Fisher
Murray Fisher is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Therapy by Segway?

I am not sure what the theory is, but riding the Segway seems to be good therapy for my hip arthritic conditiion and back problems. I think maybe it is the pretty constant movement created by the Seg. Each time we go over a crack in the sidewalk, there is a little bump. When we hit a sudden drop of a half inch or so, there is a little "jarring". We go over those cracks sometimes with one wheel level and the other dropping or rising over a crack, which creates a sideways motion. Most of the "cuts" for curbs have pretty good bumps in them. I have gotten to the point that when my back is hurting, I tell my wife I am going for a Seg Glide to loosen it up and it works every time. I have NEVER found these glides to be detrimental at all. Over 6 months and 1500 miles has been better than seeing a doctor!! (Age 82)

Murray Fisher
Murray Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 10:57 PM   #2
Sunday
Sunday is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

You're having to stand up straight, and use very good posture when riding the HT. All of those little muscles are getting a workout, and keeping you in better balance. That, and you're saving all of that wear and tear on your joints by not walking.

Segway-more fun than you can stand!
Sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 11:36 PM   #3
Murray Fisher
Murray Fisher is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Yes, you are right on the posture......several people have commented on what good upright posture I seem to keep, when they see me gliding. I never thought of that before, as I sure don't have very good posture normally!!My "bone crusher" keeps telling me to sit up and stand up straight!! I guess this Seg forces me to do so more than mere words will do.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Sunday

You're having to stand up straight, and use very good posture when riding the HT. All of those little muscles are getting a workout, and keeping you in better balance. That, and you're saving all of that wear and tear on your joints by not walking.

Segway-more fun than you can stand!
Murray Fisher
Murray Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote