SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Community Feedback and Support

Notices

Community Feedback and Support For community-related suggestions, feedback, technical questions, problems and support.

Old 06-29-2003, 11:13 PM   #1
wwhopper
Advanced Member
wwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Please Explain the Banning Process on SC

I understand that one of our regular DC Gliders has been banned from this chat site. WHY? Yes I know they can be a bit combative at times. But their input does have value. And yes they do have an Agenda! And they are ProActive and have made waves and they have resulted in positive actions. Let me tell you that they are very good Segwayers!!! If you knew them in person, you would know them differently than you do through this fourm. One of the bad things about chat is that you can not really get the feel of the person's intent without the personal interaction.

Will W Hopper,IFDA
Washington, DC, USA
wwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 11:58 PM   #2
Dog-Bone
Dog-Bone

5 yr Member

Fear not Willy Boy, StepfordChat cannot silence the rightous.

I may not be gliding with y'all for awhile; Dog-Bone is being deployed to the Saudi but I shall return to glide again.

DB
Dog-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 01:11 AM   #3
ftropea
ftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member

Which user was banned?

Will, please email me with the details. It's *very* rare that someone is banned from the site. Here is a short list of things that can get 'ya banned..

-insult other members (name calling), ignoring requests to stop
-threaten members
-troll/flame the forum
-spam the site

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

Admin - "Keep your wheels on the ground!" - Contact Me
ftropea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 01:57 AM   #4
BruceWright
Advanced Member
BruceWright is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Will,

I don't think bans result from a Washinton DC location. And it's usually those who have broken the rules who lash back out at the group when they are warned. I notice Dog-bone chimed in, I wonder if his sock-puppets will log in and agree with him.

Frank, when moderating, some sites publicly ban members, lock the thread, and post who was banned and why, and include the correspondence. Is that an idea that isn't appealing, and why?

I agree with banning when a poster is insulting and ignoring requests, when they threaten members or spam. The part that I think can cause distrust is the "troll/flame" category, as that is in the eye of the beholder. Any guidelines to posters where that line is drawn? Do we have a user terms and guidelines page that we can refer to?

-Bruce Wright

Segway: Vehicle of Dream
BruceWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 02:11 AM   #5
ftropea
ftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member

Hi Bruce,

Yes, currently we don't post publicly if/when someone is banned. I'll bring the issue up with the other moderators and decide whether or not we'll do that in the future. The forum should know by now that members aren't banned for simply disagreeing.. it takes so much more! Also, it won't come down to a vote (about who gets banned) because the site isn't a popularity contest. (Someone once suggested we do that.)

About guidelines, it's all in the moderator's discretion - as per out terms of service on the bottom of this page.

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

Admin - "Keep your wheels on the ground!" - Contact Me
ftropea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 02:17 AM   #6
BruceWright
Advanced Member
BruceWright is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Thanks.

-Bruce Wright

Segway: Vehicle of Dream
BruceWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 09:25 AM   #7
wwhopper
Advanced Member
wwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Frank
Thanks for making that statement. I will check with our local glider and see if there was a notice sent on what the reasons for the ban were. I agree - this is a fourm for exchanging ideas and experiences not insults.

And no need to embarss someone with a public display of their offenses.

Will W Hopper,IFDA
Washington, DC, USA
wwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 10:54 AM   #8
GlideMaster
GlideMaster is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

You are right wwhopper there is no reason to embarss someone with any form of public display.

<center>From The Lessons Of A GlideMaster</center>
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by wwhopper

Frank
Thanks for making that statement. I will check with our local glider and see if there was a notice sent on what the reasons for the ban were. I agree - this is a fourm for exchanging ideas and experiences not insults.

And no need to embarss someone with a public display of their offenses.

Will W Hopper,IFDA
Washington, DC, USA
GlideMaster is offline   Reply With Quote