SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:17 PM   #1
Rolacoy
Rolacoy will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member
Default Asking for the rules for using Segways.

My wife and I both have i2's that we have recently bought. We live in East Texas near Shreveport, LA. There are a number of state parks, lakes, malls, a river walk in Shreveport. Jefferson, Texas is full of tourist traps (antique stores). Tyler, Texas has a zoo, but I am not sure if we can use our Segways in these areas.

We want to go on a shake-down-crusie in the next few days before we make a trip to New orleans. We just need to decide which place to go. Today I will make some calls to see where the restrictions may be, we both have handi-cap cards. Also I am thinking about e-mailing the following note, with a picture of a Segway (few people know what they are), to some of them to see what they say.

I am inquiring about the use of a Segway at your facilities, Segway picture posted below. My wife and I each own a Segway. We are wanting to know if we are allowed to use them _______(name of location)________.

If I get a negative answer, then reply with the following:

Highlights of the Final Rule to Amend the Department of Justice's Regulation Implementing Title II of the ADA and the Summary of changes to the ADA.
Rolacoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:11 PM   #2
Suzined
Suzined is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I've been gliding for nearly four years with only two problems--one now resolved. I have the (very expensive) handicapped placard. The first problem was with Westfield Malls. That issue was resolved with the court decision in Arizona. Technically I'm supposed to sign waivers, wear protective stuff, ad nausium, all of which I ignore. The other problem is IKEA. Having checked the store out on foot, I decided I didn't want to shop there anyway...cheap trashy merchandize.

Basically, when I'm on a sidewalk I follow pedestrian rule plus yield right of way to pedestrians. In bike lanes I follow bicycle rules. When gliding on a street I follow automobile rules. Once I was told by a rent-a-cop that my Segway was not allowed. I asked him if wheelchairs were allowed. When he said "Of course" I told him the Segway was my wheelchair. He thought for a minute then told me to be careful. I thanked him and suggested he could use on his rounds. We had a nice discussion and I told him about Segs4Vets.

I've learned not to ask permission--it's too easy to say "No". I do not ask permission because I'm a hard-headed Dane.

I ask cruise lines what their policy is since I'd rather avoid being left on a dock. Norwegian Cruise Lines will not allow Segways but they have a miserable record of accomodating the disabled, lost a major ADA case before the U.S. Supreme Court and continually finds new ways of discriminating. I do recommend Royal Caribbeean. Royal Caribbean is very friendly, glad to see you, and very helpful.

Locally, when I first got my Segway I took it to a City Council meeting and made a short statement about how useful it was. The next morning I visited police headquarters and gave everyone a ride. Later that week I took the Segway to a County Commissioner's meeting and did my lounge act. It's been four years and my Segway is now a familiar piece of junk in the local landscape. I did run into one attractive young woman who verbally assaulted me for my inherently dangerouse weapon of mass discussion. She was probably from Seattle or some other city of equally ill repute. (I consider any city of over 10,000 a city of ill repute...)
Old 02-11-2011, 02:04 PM   #3
Rolacoy

5 yr Member

This is interesting I have made several calls.

The first was to the police department in a town near here and the lady who answered said that if I brought them she wanted a ride. She said that she was sure that they were allowed. That would fall under the Texas State Law that allows us to use roads that have posted speed limits under 30 or 35 mph, I don't remember which. then I called the Department of Public Safety in Austin and was told that they are not allowed on public roads, because they are not registered.

The second one that I called was an open air mall and was told by the manager that they were not allowed, but that if I would call ahead and let him know that he would allow us to use them on a weekday when the crowd was low. I suggested that his security people might try them out and said No, he didn't want them asking for Segways.

The third one of our local State Parks told me that Segways are legal even if you are not handicapped in all Texas parks.

I called the Zoo in Tyler and was told no, but they would call me back about handicap riders.

As some on here have said before, it is easy to say no. Maybe we should just not ask and wait to be told no, but I don't want to load up, drive to the location and then have to stop, load and leave. In a month the new ADA laws will come out and we will see how that effects us.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:53 AM   #4
Rolacoy

5 yr Member

The Tyler, Texas Zoo called back and said no. The reason is there are too many hills. However, they do offer hand operated wheel chairs for rent. It seems to me that any place a wheelchair can go a Segway can go.

Question, How will the new ADA laws affect this ruling?
Old 02-12-2011, 01:46 PM   #5
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolacoy View Post
The Tyler, Texas Zoo called back and said no. The reason is there are too many hills. However, they do offer hand operated wheel chairs for rent. It seems to me that any place a wheelchair can go a Segway can go.

Question, How will the new ADA laws affect this ruling?

Good grief! Especially a hand wheel chair where there are too many hills!!!

My suggestion-- If they allow hand operated wheelchairs, offer to show them how Segways handle hills! That was one of the things our zoo director wanted me to demonstrate when the local Park Board was deciding whether or not Segs would be allowed to use the city trails and facilities. They did have another way around for wheelchairs, but he wanted to see if I could handle the hill. I sailed to the top, made a graceful turn and came down. Halfway down, I stopped, backed up a ways and came the rest of the way. Yup, I was showing off. <G> They also have a section of trail with several switchbacks. These had to have a good bit of space to allow wheelchairs to make a 3 point turn. I just sailed around those corners with immense gracefulness. Showing off again. <G>

New ADA rules? who knows! The DOJ obviously doesn't (as evidenced in the phone call I referenced in an earlier post.) However these new rules have to be safety based. Having been in a runaway hand wheelchair on a steep hill, I choose a Segway! I would say that just saying that there are too many hills would not be an aceptable reason since a Segway can handle the uphill at a a consistent speed, and, on the down hill, will never gain speed, will always be under control and will actually slow down a bit. If they don't believe you, they can email me! <G> I would say that the new rules put the burden of proof on them, not you...

If I were you, I'd get right back into their face with a request to do a demo for them at a time of their choosing...

Hmmmm... I wonder if one could make a case for discrimination if they refuse to allow you to demonstrate its capabilities under those conditions??? They are supposed to be able to demonstrate their reasons... although it is not at all clear when, where, how, by whom or to whom that demonstration is to be done...

Keep us posted!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 01:57 PM   #6
Rolacoy

5 yr Member

Some say don't ask just go. I may try that some also, but I don't ant to drive 40 miles and be ran off. Also being asked to leave really gets under my skin.

We have decided to make a shake-down trip to some friends house who live on a lake about 60 miles from home. I know we can glide on the lake roads and mostly I am testing my hauler and how the Segways make the trip.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:59 PM   #7
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Some say don't ask just go. I may try that some also, but I don't ant to drive 40 miles and be ran off. Also being asked to leave really gets under my skin.

We have decided to make a shake-down trip to some friends house who live on a lake about 60 miles from home. I know we can glide on the lake roads and mostly I am testing my hauler and how the Segways make the trip.
The advantage of actually not being allowed in or being told to leave is that you now have an actionable incident to file an ADA complaint about. I suspect that it is going to take some lawsuits before tthe new rules get resolved.

As for a trip being spoiled--just plan an alternative spot....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:50 PM   #8
Rolacoy

5 yr Member

I read or heard on TV about a guy in a wheelchair, I think he was in Califorina that made his living by suing companies for not meeting the standards. If I remember right he would go into the business and make a list of all of the infractions. I don't remember what he did from that point, but most of time they would pay him a cash settlement rather than go to court. He had a lawyer and they both made a lot of money.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:54 AM   #9
Tarkus
Tarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
I read or heard on TV about a guy in a wheelchair, I think he was in Califorina that made his living by suing companies for not meeting the standards. If I remember right he would go into the business and make a list of all of the infractions. I don't remember what he did from that point, but most of time they would pay him a cash settlement rather than go to court. He had a lawyer and they both made a lot of money.
If this cowboy and his attorney did these things for money then I think they both suck.
Just my .02

Be Big,
AMAC

Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:51 AM   #10
Lily Kerns

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkus View Post
If this cowboy and his attorney did these things for money then I think they both suck.
Just my .02

Be Big,
AMAC
I doubt if anyone will disagree on that part. <G> A settlement that involves money and doesn't really resolve the problem isn't much help.

On the other hand, if the violations were there waiting to be discovered...

Wouldn't it be nice if things were always simple!