SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Tours and Rentals

Notices

Tours and Rentals Issues, experiences & opinions relating to Segway rentals and tours.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:47 PM   #1
unclejay
unclejay is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Sarasota Fl Bad Experience

This was all my fault, I should have known better.

Operating out of a van in a parking lot, very little room to practice, no video
Helmets optional, 10 minutes training for 3 people total.

First obstacle a drain channel 10 feet into the ride, challenging even for experts, dumped my girl friend sideways on the transition from descent to ascent

Instructor insisted we ride close together, one person stopped suddenly, following rider turned to avoid and dumped my sister off sideways, whacked her head on concrete

No sidewalk across St Armands bridge, had to use bike lane with obvious consequences from bikers (construction)

One thing I did learn - (former I180 owner) - the i2 steering will dump you sideways if you try to steady yourself using the handlebars. Not so the I180.

Bummer.
unclejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:26 PM   #2
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

I am presuming you were among the 3 'tour' participants, and the van and machines were not yours, your sister's, or girlfriend's.

I can agree that you used poor judgement to invest your money in what sounds like a weak operation.

Still, the larger fault lies with the operator of that tour, the owner of that van, who did not require helmets, did not properly train you guys, and took you on a dangerous tour (or a route with dangerous areas).

I hope all are well or recovering.

After your wounds heal, this operation may go on and continue to hurt the reputation of segways, and potentially, the operators it rents to...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:13 AM   #3
Florida Ever-Glides
Florida Ever-Glides will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member SegwayFest Attendee
Thumbs down This was not Florida Ever-Glides!

I'vs been trying to get this unsafe tour shut down for over a year. Unfortunately it will take a serious accident to do it...
Old 01-19-2011, 06:29 PM   #4
emrnyc
emrnyc is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Who is .....

Who is this tour group??
One bad apple will ruin it for all....

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclejay View Post
This was all my fault, I should have known better.

Operating out of a van in a parking lot, very little room to practice, no video
Helmets optional, 10 minutes training for 3 people total.

First obstacle a drain channel 10 feet into the ride, challenging even for experts, dumped my girl friend sideways on the transition from descent to ascent

Instructor insisted we ride close together, one person stopped suddenly, following rider turned to avoid and dumped my sister off sideways, whacked her head on concrete

No sidewalk across St Armands bridge, had to use bike lane with obvious consequences from bikers (construction)

One thing I did learn - (former I180 owner) - the i2 steering will dump you sideways if you try to steady yourself using the handlebars. Not so the I180.

Bummer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NYC's Only Segway Trained Level 1 & Level 2 Service Tech

8 EMS - 37 PAPD - 23 NYPD - 343 FDNY
Never forget our Brother & Sister Heroes 9/11/01.
It was not how they died that made them heroes.....
It was how they lived!

Check out Emergency Medical Rescue of New York City's website
emrnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:46 PM   #5
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

The most important thing to consider is the quality of the guide. A good guide will ensure you are properly trained, the route is safe and that good advice is given on how to approach obstacles and how to travel safely together as a group.

The fact the tour was out the back of the van is not in itself a bad sign - do not judge a book by its cover. The same guide could have just as easily started his tour from an impressive looking establishment but you would still receive the same poor tuition and unsafe tour.

Try and find a tour with a good reputation and solid history. I recall that Tom's tour company is highly regarded. Don't even just rely on "Segway Authorised", if you speak to your tour company, try and speak with your guide. Obtain your own impression - be safe.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:33 AM   #6
Florida Ever-Glides

Unhappy You Won't Believe It...

The company is called Pleasure Florida and is owned/operated by a girl who used to work in a 'strip club'. It is frankly the poorest run Segway tour business I have ever seen. No business location,constant city violations, at best its just a boring follow along. Unfortunately they give other area Segway tours a bad name. Buyer beware...
Old 01-20-2011, 08:54 AM   #7
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

I don't think the fact the owner previously worked in a strip club is relevant but it does sound like one to avoid. Maybe they need some support or guidance from a pro or from Segway INC?

Maybe how INC have an Authorised list, they should also have an avoid list! That wouldn't work of course - too many lawsuits would ensue.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:22 AM   #8
Florida Ever-Glides

Cool you're right!

Having helmets optional, and customers falling on their head is much more relevant. This company is an example of quick buck greed over customer satisfaction/safety.

Within 60 miles of Sarasota there are at least two Segway tours that will let 6 year olds ride solo, that is relevant...
Old 01-21-2011, 12:09 PM   #9
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Ever-Glides View Post
Having helmets optional, and customers falling on their head is much more relevant. This company is an example of quick buck greed over customer satisfaction/safety.

Within 60 miles of Sarasota there are at least two Segway tours that will let 6 year olds ride solo, that is relevant...
Tom,

I have not ever seen a 6 year old capable or heavy enough to operate a segway, but you have seen than more potential tour gliders than I.

What would be your solution to a family that wanted a tour, but had youngsters? Do you offer a babysitting solution for those too young, or do you use trailers, or some other solution? Or do you just say that it is not a good fit for that that particular family?

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:12 PM   #10
Florida Ever-Glides

Cool Fact of Life

There are many activities that are not suitable for youngsters. Most adults understand this especially operating a Segway in public areas...

I'ce never seen a six year old on a tour, but the operators that do brag about it. One of them even takes a break at a tiki bar and purchases beer or wine for their customers. All in an effort to make more tips, they tell me...