SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Community Feedback and Support

Notices

Community Feedback and Support For community-related suggestions, feedback, technical questions, problems and support.

Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 09:14 PM   #11
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ498 View Post
You people really need to find something constructive to do with your time. I fall on the sword. I DID it. I made it right with the person I offended and publicly apologized. It wasn't even a violation of the TOS when I did it, except by some long stretch, convoluted interpretation of the old TOS. They have since been changed. How much of your life are you going to waste??? To quote my mother, go out and play, it's nice outside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily Kerns View Post
russ 498: You have a PM.
I guess it would be a violation of the TOS to quote MY mother now, right?

+1 for taking responsibility for your actions, whatever all this is about (I don't need to know).
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:05 PM   #12
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrandwood View Post
I think common sense is in order here.

How is your privacy being infringed in this case? An email to a group of people gets sent on to one further person. So what? Unless, your email is clearly intended for private eyes only, I would suggest no one would be banned for this. If the email was to be posted on here, then it would be polite for the poster to seek your permission, if they thought it was needed. Be clear in your communications. If you do not want your message to be forwarded on, include a disclaimer of sorts. Otherwise, people may think it is acceptable to forward on.

Of course you can, unless your dealer explicity states you should not. And if the quote comes in via email from this site - you are not likely to forward it on via email on this site, you will most likely forward it on using your email client which is outside of the terms of this site anyway.

In the words of a John Mcenroe, "you cannot be serious" Of course you can. That sounds like a reasonable step and no reasonable moderator would have an issue with it - but, I'm pretty sure a super moderator could read anything posted on SC anyway, so they could (but would not I guess), read it in your inbox if you so instructed them.

Mods don't ban people willy nilly as far as I know. You have to be up to something for some contact from them.

In summary, the mods have discretion and should use it reasonably. The rules are not always black and white.
Some people have reason to be less trustful of the intentions and the reasonableness of the moderators than others... If you have no problems, that is wonderful. Your experience is not universal.

Neither is any particular person's negative experience universal...

And most every post here is wasted time... I know of very few posts on this forum that feed the hungry, or shelter the homeless... What most of the posts here do is add to the color to our lives, not so much the play by play...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:32 AM   #13
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
Some people have reason to be less trustful of the intentions and the reasonableness of the moderators than others... If you have no problems, that is wonderful. Your experience is not universal.
I have no problems with the moderators on this site. They are unpaid volunteers who do their best - although some good moderators have left and the board is worse for it.

The people who have more problems with the moderators tend to be the people who are either more outspoken in their views, post a lot more than most people, or who are simply rude/trouble makers. Those first two criteria are fine with me as this is a chat site and if you post more and are outspoken, you are likely to run in with the mods more based on the law of averages. The third criteria is for the people for whom most of what they say is controversial and or sparks trouble - and the mods are right to, um, moderate them if they step out of line.

If all three criteria apply to you (not you personally Karl, but "you" in general) - then you are bound to dislike the moderators and consider yourself to have more reason to state you are less trusting of them.

Stands to reason that profilic posters will always have a different view on the moderation of the site than someone who posts less and is more tolerant of other people's views - or at least in how they respond to other people's view. To quote one of my partner's well used sayings (and I did seek her express permission to repost it here ): "Some people can start an argument in a room on their own." Put them on a chat site and they wonder why they get such a bad reaction or attention from the moderators!
Old 03-20-2010, 10:13 AM   #14
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
I have no problems with the moderators on this site. They are unpaid volunteers who do their best - although some good moderators have left and the board is worse for it.

The people who have more problems with the moderators tend to be the people who are either more outspoken in their views, post a lot more than most people, or who are simply rude/trouble makers. Those first two criteria are fine with me as this is a chat site and if you post more and are outspoken, you are likely to run in with the mods more based on the law of averages. The third criteria is for the people for whom most of what they say is controversial and or sparks trouble - and the mods are right to, um, moderate them if they step out of line.

If all three criteria apply to you (not you personally Karl, but "you" in general) - then you are bound to dislike the moderators and consider yourself to have more reason to state you are less trusting of them.

Stands to reason that profilic posters will always have a different view on the moderation of the site than someone who posts less and is more tolerant of other people's views - or at least in how they respond to other people's view. To quote one of my partner's well used sayings (and I did seek her express permission to repost it here ): "Some people can start an argument in a room on their own." Put them on a chat site and they wonder why they get such a bad reaction or attention from the moderators!
I tried to be very nice and fair. Moderators are just people like the rest of us. They come here with their own biases and preconceptions like the rest of us...

I know they are volunteers, but that does not mean they cannot be subjective, just like every other human on the planet.

Most of them do a fine job, most of the time. Even those whom I do not agree with, do a fine job most of the time.

Your post indicated that every run in with the moderators is directly attributable with their posts, either in volume or content... Here I will agree, but the run in may because of the content other than the context you put it in... Some very nice, very tolerant people are still targeted because of other issues...

On the whole, the moderators do a thankless job. But that does not mean they never made a mistake, or never made life a tad more difficult for some poster who did not deserve it...

But as a name calling other poster put it recently, we are spending too much time on this particular topic for my values, so I am done... (For now)

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:33 PM   #15
polo_pro
Advanced Member
polo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member Segway Polo Player

Quote:
Mods don't ban people willy nilly as far as I know. You have to be up to something for some contact from them.

In summary, the mods have discretion and should use it reasonably. The rules are not always black and white.
Keep in mind, gbrandwood, commenting on how this site is run or should be run is reason to be banned. I'd love to discuss with you past situations that might address your "willy nilly" scenario, but just in doing that I'd risk being banned.

Step carefully lest the big stick find you too!

ps - I agree that some good moderators have left. But we can't even discuss why they they made that choice. I actually have first hand information in a few cases, but I'm sure I'd be banned if we went into this in detail. Besides it'd be dredging up the past which is suppose to stay swept under the carpet and not be discussed.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:29 PM   #16
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo_pro View Post
Step carefully lest the big stick find you too!
And that would not be a polo mallet I'm guessin...

I remember much of what you refer to and do not wish to dredge it up, not for fear of moderation, but because it is in the past and that is where it should stay.

This thread was a relevant post in relation to a clarification on the TOS. The TOS were updated in response to a reasonable request which shows this forum is open to suggestions. It's like that line from the Brad Paisley song: "Make no mistake, every prayer you pray, / Gets answered, even though, / Sometimes, the answer is no". No one gets banned for praying!

Ugh, what am I saying?? I think, as like Karl, it's time to leave this thread before I start quoting more Brad Paisley...
Old 03-23-2010, 06:58 PM   #17
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Ugh, what am I saying?? I think, as like Karl, it's time to leave this thread before I start quoting more Brad Paisley...
Can we have another update to the TOS please?

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:14 AM   #18
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

Quote:
And that would not be a polo mallet I'm guessin...

I remember much of what you refer to and do not wish to dredge it up, not for fear of moderation, but because it is in the past and that is where it should stay.
Technically, every post you read on here was written in the past, but there's a very good reason the posts are preserved-- So we can read them and learn from them without needing to have been there when they were written. Of course, this is an obvious statement to make, but I disagree that the past shouldn't be "dredged up" although I wouldn't call it that. More like, I think the past should be archived so that one can learn from it without needing to have witnessed it. Without an archive to point to, many of these talking points are moot, imo.

"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Old 03-25-2010, 02:53 PM   #19
ViperGTS
ViperGTS is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Exclamation I get strange PM's....

Why would somebody ask me for the serial number?
I dont get it!
ViperGTS
aka Markus (or vice versa)
---------------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted by ViperGTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by **************
what is your segway serial nr? You can see if it is still covered by the warranty. Do you know where the serial nr is?
Hi ************,
-----------------------------------------------------------
why do you want the serial number of my Segway?
Yes, I know where the serial number is
Happy gliding!
Markus
------------------------------------------------------------
I just wanted to see if it is under warranty. It can also be seen where originally it has been sold originally so that dealer can help you.

Closed Thread