SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:31 AM   #1
IcanGlide
IcanGlide is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Re: Segway and Cruises

I have been trying to book a cruise with Royal Carribbean for a while now and I originally got a response of "we do not allow Segways as mobility devices onboard our ships."

I pushed this issue further reciting the recent consent decree and opinion on Norwegian Cruise Lines and the soon to be updated ADA regs and I got the following response:

Thank for considering Royal Caribbean for your upcoming cruise and for your inquiry about the use of Segways onboard our ships.

As you may know, Royal Caribbean is committed to complying with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and is governed by the Department of Transportation (DOT) rules for Transportation for Individuals with Disabilities: Passenger Vessels (49 CFR Part 39).

In accordance with Part 39 Section 93, we have completed an assessment of the Segway as an other-powered mobility device for use onboard our ships. Due to safety reasons, we have determined that Segways may not be used onboard our ships. This determination was made after consulting with the manufacturer who advised us that Segways were not designed, and are not recommended, for use in marine environments.

Segways may be brought onboard for use only at ports of call, but must be stored in your stateroom and not used onboard.

.....and there it is.

Frank
Old 03-04-2011, 11:44 AM   #2
rickb
rickb is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

It sounds like Segway needs to be educated to the fact that their product is being used successfully as a mobility device and certainly should be included as an-other-powered mobility device. My definition of marine environment would be in or under water not on board a luxury cruise liner. Perhaps a Royal Caribbean excuse and they simply do not want Segways on board.
rickb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 02:52 PM   #3
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickb View Post
It sounds like Segway needs to be educated to the fact that their product is being used successfully as a mobility device and certainly should be included as an-other-powered mobility device. My definition of marine environment would be in or under water not on board a luxury cruise liner. Perhaps a Royal Caribbean excuse and they simply do not want Segways on board.
Marine environment might be referring to the salt air factor. And given that this is a mobility issue, I would not be sure that Inc was referring to disability safety--given their past record on this matter and the legal reasons therefore....

I've been on one cruise, Holland America to Alaska (pre Segway.) I desperately needed something and didn't have it. As far as I can see, there would have been absolutely no problems that did not have to be dealt with by any wheelchair user. That includes room size. <G>

So now the question arises:

The OP quoted the cruise line: "In accordance with Part 39 Section 93, we have completed an assessment of the Segway as an other-powered mobility device for use onboard our ships. Due to safety reasons, we have determined that Segways may not be used onboard our ships. This determination was made after consulting with the manufacturer who advised us that Segways were not designed, and are not recommended, for use in marine environments. "

The ADA rules says that they must be able to "demonstrate" that their rules are based on safety or disruption issues. In what way is "marine environment" a safety issue given the length of most cruises? When, how, to whom and by whom does this demonstrating have to be offered? What safety considerations are at stake? What studies can they offer to support this assertion? What kind of testing did they do in that assessment?

The questions go on and one. Is it going to take a whole bunch of lawsuits to clarify, let alone resolve any of this?

Boy, I hate being a cynic!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 03:18 PM   #4
rickb

5 yr Member

I have observed many Segway dealers and rental businesses in and around coastal areas. The marine environment on board a cruise ship or in various ports shouldn't be much different. Does Segway actually make the "do not use in marine environments" statement and if so their definition. It still sounds like a Royal Carribean excuse that has no merit.

I sadly agree that it will probably take lawsuits to resolve the issue. Fellow Cynic Club member.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:35 AM   #5
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcanGlide View Post
I have been trying to book a cruise with Royal Carribbean for a while now and I originally got a response of "we do not allow Segways as mobility devices onboard our ships."

I pushed this issue further reciting the recent consent decree and opinion on Norwegian Cruise Lines and the soon to be updated ADA regs and I got the following response:

Thank for considering Royal Caribbean for your upcoming cruise and for your inquiry about the use of Segways onboard our ships.

As you may know, Royal Caribbean is committed to complying with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and is governed by the Department of Transportation (DOT) rules for Transportation for Individuals with Disabilities: Passenger Vessels (49 CFR Part 39).

In accordance with Part 39 Section 93, we have completed an assessment of the Segway as an other-powered mobility device for use onboard our ships. Due to safety reasons, we have determined that Segways may not be used onboard our ships. This determination was made after consulting with the manufacturer who advised us that Segways were not designed, and are not recommended, for use in marine environments.

Segways may be brought onboard for use only at ports of call, but must be stored in your stateroom and not used onboard.

.....and there it is.

Frank
OK, so I am a cynic and I admit it. But let's see if we can look at this in terms of an opportunity, not just an end to the matter, to quote you, Frank, ".....and there it is."

Here is a perfect chance to test the DOJ on what the new ADA rules really mean. Royal Caribbean say they are committed to the ADA in response to your query based on the new regulations. Mar 15 is almost here. How about contacting them--on that date <G>- asking them to give you information on their compliance with the new rules and the safety concerns that they have addressed and can demonstrate they have based their "new"??? rules on.

You could go to the DOJ right now with this letter denying you access on the basis of a disability that requires the use of a Segway, but their response to your new questions would give additional basis for filing a full fledged complaint. If they give you a run around on the the demonstrating part of your question, you have additional ammunition. If they have made no changes, then that is ammunition too....

Just don't expect any prompt response from the DOJ. Hopefully they will be flooded with questions on the basis of the new rules. I guess I have to be a cynic on that too....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:56 AM   #6
IcanGlide
IcanGlide is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Not Finished Yet

Oh, without a doubt I will take this to the next level. When I asked if I would be allowed to ride the Segway to and from my room when the ship was in port, i.e. not underway and entering and exiting the ship, I was told that I would be required to walk it.

So, off I go.............

Frank
Old 03-05-2011, 11:28 AM   #7
rickb

5 yr Member

RC's statement was that they wanted to comply with the new ADA rules but declined for safety reasons based on their contact with the manufacturer (Segway). If the manufacturer states that their product is not intended to be used as a mobility device or cannot operate safely in marine environments then in my opinion a lawsuit doesn't stand a chance.

Will Segway Inc. acknowledge their product as "an other powered mobility device" or doesn't this matter?
Old 03-05-2011, 02:12 PM   #8
emrnyc
emrnyc is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Segway as Mobility Device

Segway sold the rights to use the self-balancing technology to Johnson & Johnson for the iBot wheel chair. Segway can not represent the Segway as a mobility device.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickb View Post
RC's statement was that they wanted to comply with the new ADA rules but declined for safety reasons based on their contact with the manufacturer (Segway). If the manufacturer states that their product is not intended to be used as a mobility device or cannot operate safely in marine environments then in my opinion a lawsuit doesn't stand a chance.

Will Segway Inc. acknowledge their product as "an other powered mobility device" or doesn't this matter?

NYC's Only Segway Trained Level 1 & Level 2 Service Tech

8 EMS - 37 PAPD - 23 NYPD - 343 FDNY
Never forget our Brother & Sister Heroes 9/11/01.
It was not how they died that made them heroes.....
It was how they lived!

Check out Emergency Medical Rescue of New York City's website
emrnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 04:45 AM   #9
Suzined
Suzined is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

My wife and I had a very delightful Alaskan cruise aboard a Royal Caribbean ship. I asked, was assured I could use the Segway aboard and had a great time. I am 100% disabled and my Segway is my wheelchair. Strange to say the least.

We did have one day with heavy seas and on that day I left the Segway in the cabin. There are limits.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:46 PM   #10
rickb

5 yr Member

Interesting that RC wouldn't have a uniform policy statement when replying to requests for on board Segway use. I guess it is who you talk to at the moment.

I am in the process of researching the Segway and after market seat to best meet my needs in making the Segway a safe alternative mobility device. I have balance issues and have a slight concern about getting off the Segway in case of a shutdown. It's why I like the Kickstand option on the Right2B. I actually understand why cruiselines are reluctant to have a blanket Segway use policy for liability reasons if somebody falls on a shutdown mode, is injured onboard or in a retail business, and sues for injuries. Perhaps signing a waiver prior to boarding or maybe it is a non-issue.

To bad Segway doesn't offer a lever activated Kickstand option to actually stabilize the unit.