SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 02-15-2018, 12:05 PM   #1
asfazrq
asfazrq is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Segway mini lite charging port loose

Greetings everyone,

I just bought a mini lite from ebay (warranty not honored by Segway therefore). the problem is that the charging port is not snug. when battery charger connector is inserted into battery port for charging, the light on the battery charger remains green unless I slightly push up the battery charger connector with my hand or use the battery port rubber protector to force up the connector. then and only then the indicator will turn red (indicating that the charging is taking place).

this is quite a nuisance, b/c in my experience there will be a time where things will be loose enough that it will not charge.

Any guidance is really appreciated. Thank you.
asfazrq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 10:35 AM   #2
CROSSBOLT
CROSSBOLT is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

This WILL sound like a wiseguy answer, but FIX IT! We have a mini-pro for her and I will try and see what is involved. I'll get back on this but you look in the meanwhile, too.

Karl
CROSSBOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 03:42 PM   #3
asfazrq
asfazrq is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Thanks dude, looking forward to the answer.
asfazrq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 09:58 PM   #4
airdale
airdale will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Only a wild guess, that a long nose pliers, bend those male forks a tad....see if that gets a solid connection...

and....You might think of a strain relief in opposite?....If the cord needs pressure to the right, maybe some rubber bands, string or twine? Yes its not a fix, but you have what you have...now lets make it work?

Last edited by airdale; 02-16-2018 at 10:02 PM.. Reason: add
airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 10:42 AM   #5
Pescador12
Pescador12 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asfazrq View Post
Greetings everyone,

I just bought a mini lite from ebay (warranty not honored by Segway therefore). the problem is that the charging port is not snug. when battery charger connector is inserted into battery port for charging, the light on the battery charger remains green unless I slightly push up the battery charger connector with my hand or use the battery port rubber protector to force up the connector. then and only then the indicator will turn red (indicating that the charging is taking place).
You need to get a flashlight and magnifier to see what is wrong in the charging port (wad of paper jammed in there or broken plastic, etc). Or, look at the charger's plug and see if the female pin is broken or pushed back so it doesn't engage solidly.

Likely, a kid was ham fisted with putting the plug in and messed up something. The key for the four pronged socket is on the side instead of bottom, if it is like the minipro, which isn't intuitive.

If the whole charging port is loose from the frame where the back nut came off, then you need to look at some disassembly videos to fix it.
Pescador12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 06:48 PM   #6
dmurphy
dmurphy is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdale View Post
Only a wild guess, that a long nose pliers, bend those male forks a tad....see if that gets a solid connection...

and....You might think of a strain relief in opposite?....If the cord needs pressure to the right, maybe some rubber bands, string or twine? Yes its not a fix, but you have what you have...now lets make it work?
Keep in mind that the miniLite has a “traditional” DC barrel connector for charging, not the 4-pin connector we see on miniPro.
dmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 09:34 PM   #7
mustbeme
mustbeme is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I have the same issue. Charging port on the mini lite is the issue. I stripped a small 22ga wire and stuck in the port, then inserted the barrel plug. Charging normally now. There is only 1 contact point inside the barrel hole (-). This small sping is pushed in and no longer makes contact with the outer plug barrel grounding surface. I may open it us and see if I can push the small piece back out to make contact

Cannot post image yet but I made a sketch. Just shine a light into your port, the small metal strip on mine was located at 9'oclock. Should have been 2 contacts, think of a 12v cig lighter plug...
mustbeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:52 AM   #8
JoshFink
JoshFink is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Hi, I have the same problem on 2 of the 3 MiniLites that we have. At first I thought maybe it was the charger but all of the chargers work great on the one lite and requires wiggling on the other 2.

For an adult this might not be a problem, still annoying for a brand new device, but for the kids it's kind of finicky.
JoshFink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 06:09 PM   #9
dgbint
dgbint will become famous soon enoughdgbint will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmurphy View Post
Keep in mind that the miniLite has a “traditional” DC barrel connector for charging, not the 4-pin connector we see on miniPro.
OK there's a hint there.
I am not familiar with the miniLite, but I know those connectors well.
There are 2 versions, one with a 2.1mm center pin, and one with a 2.5mm center pin.

For it all to work and connect properly both the plug and socket must match.

I 'guess' that somewhere along the line, somebody messed with it and almost got it right.

Make a visit to your local electronics shop, or eBay, and buy a few cents worth of connectors.
It will be an easy fix, if I am right.

Michael
www.dgbint.com
dgbint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 06:38 PM   #10
JoshFink
JoshFink is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgbint View Post
OK there's a hint there.
I am not familiar with the miniLite, but I know those connectors well.
There are 2 versions, one with a 2.1mm center pin, and one with a 2.5mm center pin.

For it all to work and connect properly both the plug and socket must match.

I 'guess' that somewhere along the line, somebody messed with it and almost got it right.

Make a visit to your local electronics shop, or eBay, and buy a few cents worth of connectors.
It will be an easy fix, if I am right.

Michael

Thanks, are you suggesting to go get the correct size barrel and resolder it in?
JoshFink is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charge, charging, loose, port