SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > Science and Technology

Notices

Science and Technology Science & technology discussions not related to the Segway. This includes discussion of Segway knockoffs and clones.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:11 PM   #1
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default iscooterusa.com

Well, it looks like SOMEONE thinks a smaller, lighter, more affordable self-balancing device has a market.

http://www.iscooterusa.com/

They seem not to mention Segway anywhere, but they do seem to have most of the features I'd want to see in a downsized Segway -- it's still self-balancing, lean-steered, it's lightweight, nicely packaged. The the price point is more where I'd like to see the i2, and it still has lithium batteries -- it'd be great for air travel otherwise.

Not a lot of details, and not a word about the patent issue. I wish I knew what Segway's strategy is with patent enforcement -- but it may be the old "give them the rope" treatment -- wait until there's money to be had, then go after them.

Offsetting the somewhat high price point, hey're pushing the affordability through rentals and fractional ownership (1/12th share). I can't figure how that'd work out, but it's apparent they see the need to attack sticker shock head-on.

Not a word about redundancy. Very little technical information, but what there is is interesting.

330 lb load limit. Solid tires -- max speed 12-18 MPH (well, they said "miles", but that's not a speed, er...). 18 MPH on small solid tires? Er...and there are legal issues there that may block it in some jurisdictions.

Curb hopping ability is touted. With those tiny tires, I presume down, not up! I noticed in their hill-climbing video the rider stayed *off* the rutted trail.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:17 PM   #2
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

From this picture, it appears not to be a sealed unit, which may (or may not) impose limitations on use in bad weather:

And...thanks to Google Image Search on the above image, I found the source, and a little more technical information:

To nobody's surprise, I'm sure, it's a Chinese knockoff. I found it hard to believe it would appear out of the blue, and not have been discussed here at all.

http://www.tradeprince.com/detail/tr...d/1786130.html
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.

Last edited by Bob.Kerns; 11-29-2012 at 09:22 PM..
Old 11-29-2012, 09:31 PM   #3
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

And...I edited the above message by mistake, rather than reply, so if you came in right after I posted, read the addendum at the end.

Anyway, if you ever need to find the source for a product or image, Google can now search by image rather than keywords.

I just dragged the image to the http://images.google.com page and got my answer. Give it a try! They've had it for a while, but it's not obvious how to get to it. I had to google it to find it....

http://www.google.com/insidesearch/f...chbyimage.html

Old 11-29-2012, 09:38 PM   #4
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

I wonder if this really exists.

We did a thread on this over a year ago, if I remember correctly.

To me, it looks like a chinese knock off of the Toyota Winglet. (that had three options, with differing length handlebars)

Also, in the Law Enforcement area, I saw and copied and pasted this jem:

The DutyCHARIOT Series is a three-wheel front*-wheel drive standup electric personal mobility vehicle.

If it really is a three wheel vehicle, then it is not self balancing. It may only use the 3rd wheel for parking, as I did not see it in the videos.

The site is looking for people to join the 'investor's club'. There is very little actual hard information on this group of people. No addresses, no people. Just images, and requests for people to offer up their names and contact info.

I'd like to hear from someone who actually has had their hands on this thing.

I know when the Q scooter made it to the Segway Fest in Florida in 2004, it was a big hit and lots of us satisfied our curiosity about it. (and it's inability to be even close to a segway in performance, as well as its inability to actually act as it claimed...)

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:58 PM   #5
Civicsman
Civicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

It's the Robin, which has had many threads on Segway Chat. If you go to the "About Us" page and scroll through the photos, you'll find a red scooter with the Robin name clearly visible.

Other than somebody has a shiny new web page and they think they can sell the machines in the USA, there really isn't much news here. Hopefully, Segway, Inc. is paying attention and will bust their chops on patents.

Despite the "USA" in the name, everyone, including the fleets of police, are clearly in the People's Republic of China. As far as I can see, there are no addresses in the USA (despite the Roswell, GA comment), and not even a phone number. What kind of person would go for this? The same people who respond positively to wealthy Nigerian Prince emails?

Personally, I still think the Micro-Seg concept is good, and I'd like to see Segway offer one, but I wouldn't consider one from a company that doesn't have an address in the USA, or even a phone number. Caveat Emptor (and Valor Marghoulis!)
Old 11-29-2012, 10:10 PM   #6
Civicsman
Civicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

I meant, Valar morghulis.

I'm pretty bad at high Valaryan.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:35 PM   #7
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
I wonder if this really exists.

We did a thread on this over a year ago, if I remember correctly.

To me, it looks like a chinese knock off of the Toyota Winglet. (that had three options, with differing length handlebars)

Also, in the Law Enforcement area, I saw and copied and pasted this jem:

The DutyCHARIOT Series is a three-wheel front*-wheel drive standup electric personal mobility vehicle.

If it really is a three wheel vehicle, then it is not self balancing. It may only use the 3rd wheel for parking, as I did not see it in the videos.

The site is looking for people to join the 'investor's club'. There is very little actual hard information on this group of people. No addresses, no people. Just images, and requests for people to offer up their names and contact info.

I'd like to hear from someone who actually has had their hands on this thing.

I know when the Q scooter made it to the Segway Fest in Florida in 2004, it was a big hit and lots of us satisfied our curiosity about it. (and it's inability to be even close to a segway in performance, as well as its inability to actually act as it claimed...)
Neither I, nor Google, can find "DutyCHARIOT Series is a three-wheel" anywhere on the intertoobz. The units in the video of "law enforcement" zipping around what looks like an airport terminal pretty clearly don't have 3 wheels. I wonder if their marketing hype has taken a few detours here and there?

I too noted the lack of hard information. That seems to be a recurring theme. It would be interesting to call them up and ask them if they've licensed the Segway patent.

It's interesting to compare and contrast the pre-availability hype of Segway, Tesla, and this.

Even Tesla never reached the level of pure fantasy that Segway did pre-release, but both Segway and Tesla did get to market.

By contrast, this has the appearance of a saner, more real business, with identifiable product, sales strategy (though I'm highly skeptical of their "ownership shares" idea, I acknowledge its creativity), etc. They've clearly put a lot of effort into a "real business" website.

But a few things are lacking. The fact that the only place they mention that there are competitors is one reference to Segway in their Twitter stream. There are no product manuals. Nothing about "how it works", or the advantages of self-balancing technology. Nothing about why you should buy from them vs a Segway.

(Interestingly, you can find a lot of that info, in English, on the *manufacturer's web site. I think perhaps they are trying to obscure the Chinese connection! http://www.robstep.com/)

Nothing about safety. Nothing about service -- just warranty, with no details. Nothing about a delivery date.

Combine that with the bit about "invester's club", and my read is, they don't have the money in hand for a product launch. Unless the manufacturer has another ongoing outlet, I bet they don't have a ramped-up manufacturing capability in hand. I think they'll need to raise cash up front to place an order for more than a few demo units.

Of course, the manufacturer *claims* to be able to deliver 1500 units/month. But nobody sane is going to be running at that level at this point.

The weight capacity spec seems to vary -- the manufacturer's site says 100 kg, which is only 2/3 of the 330 lbs indicated on the iScooterUSA site.

The manufacturer claims to be a robotics company, but this appears to be their first and only product. They were demoing this to Chinese industry people about 18 months ago.

They seem to be spamming the made-in-china.com site, with 400 product offerings -- all of them this, or basic accessories.

They appear to have gotten FCC certification.

There are really two issues here -- the viability of the US company marketing them, and of the Chinese company making them.

Of the two, the US company would appear to me to be the shakier. They've done pretty well with getting a site launched, etc, but against the uncertainty of the patent situation (assuming there's no secret licensing deal with Segway), they're carrying a lot of eggs in a flimsy basket.

The Chinese company can probably turn to something else if this doesn't pay off; they appear to be a spinoff of Huazhong University of Science and Technology. I think it's likely there's a tech firm incubator setup here, with low-cost access to shared manufacturing facilities and infrastructure. A much lower investment than was made for Segway INC (and I suspect that was done very improvidently).

This Q&A is interesting. http://www.robstep.com/en/fuwu.php

Quote:
Robin can only used at flat grounds. Of cause you can ride a Robin in a rainy day, because Robin is somehow waterproof. But we suggested customers should not use Robin in rainy day in that you can easily falling down on slippery ground.