SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > Science and Technology

Notices

Science and Technology Science & technology discussions not related to the Segway. This includes discussion of Segway knockoffs and clones.

View Poll Results: Mac or PC
Mac 32 46.38%
PC 19 27.54%
Linux 1 1.45%
combination 17 24.64%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-04-2009, 11:05 PM   #21
SegwayDan
Advanced Member
SegwayDan has a spectacular aura aboutSegwayDan has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob.Kerns View Post
Since Gizmodo has gone over to the dark side, we seem to all have collectively decided to replace it. Once we get the traffic numbers up, Frank will have to start selling ads to pay for the servers, then get rich.

Anyway -- so far, the results suggest that the OS bias is about the same as the general bias here -- we have more technical people here than in society at large, higher income, and more people working in graphics and film.

And I suspect that people with unusual (i.e. "not just a PC or two") stuff are more likely to post.
I actually don't intend to speak against those with different opinions than mine when it comes to a matter of preference, value determination, job requirement, etc. I'm merely expressing my not-so-humble opinion about my computer preferences. They're mainly based on my two decades of using my computers for my livelihood.

I use Macs every day to make my living. The new keyboard alone is far superior to non-Mac keyboards. The key action is just right. Not too much travel, not too noisy, and it's also nice to look at.

I also like the user interface. It's more attractive in appearance.

Though it may seem strange or even objectionable for a person to have strong opinions about computing machines, I sincerely do have such emotional attachments to my Apple products, simply because they are MUCH better for me than any other brand. This is a good thing--so good that I'm inspired to speak out loudly and proudly their praises. I also invite anyone to simply check them out at any Apple retail store or Best Buy to see for themselves what I'm talking about.

Dan Swanson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

727-403-2628
Old 07-04-2009, 11:22 PM   #22
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SegwayDan View Post
I actually don't intend to speak against those with different opinions than mine when it comes to a matter of preference, value determination, job requirement, etc. I'm merely expressing my not-so-humble opinion about my computer preferences. They're mainly based on my two decades of using my computers for my livelihood.
This is all too tame. We should talk about programming languages instead, and really liven up the discussion.

Oh wait, this is SegwayChat. Never mind.

What's the Segway software written in again? Assembler???

Never mind...really.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Old 07-05-2009, 05:26 AM   #23
Joushou
Joushou will become famous soon enoughJoushou will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Bob, Mac OS X's Cocoa frameworks require you to use Objective-C... It's a living hell...
Think general C syntax for non-OO stuff, but Smalltalk for OO...

And, i think the Segway is actually running a brainfuck interpreter... Wait, maybe BitXtreme... Or LOLCODE... Could also be AAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!... Definitely some esoteric language (And damn, there's a quite long list on esolangs.org...)

Reality has been scientifically proven impossible.

Last edited by Joushou; 07-05-2009 at 05:33 AM..
Old 07-05-2009, 05:52 AM   #24
Wireczar
Wireczar is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by budsiskos View Post
which one are You?

and if there are any linux users here, dont worry i didnt forget you.
Why is this in Segway Forum????
Old 07-05-2009, 07:22 AM   #25
Joushou

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Because we're talking about Segway mounted computers, of course!
*Straps his MBP onto the LSF, or maybe the LCF, with the LCD strapped onto the LSF* (Damn, i couldn't squeeze more TLA's into that :P)

Old 07-05-2009, 12:44 PM   #26
budsiskos
budsiskos is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireczar View Post
Why is this in Segway Forum????
this is in response to an earlier post. if you read through it youll see where the connection is made.

http://forums.segwaychat.com/showthr...ighlight=users
Old 07-05-2009, 03:27 PM   #27
segsurfer
segsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to all

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

I am a PC guy first and foremost, however I have had a tumultuous and fleeting love affair with macs for years. I love mac's firmware and hardware, as an iphone/ occasional mac user I can honestly say that I find their synthesis of hardware and software to be well thought out and aesthetically pleasing; that being said, I have been having ongoing problems with itunes for years and yet somehow because of the strengths mentioned above I continue to treasure my iphone. In my experience, running itunes on windows has been like pulling teeth and quite frankly I find apples black box philosophy annoying, which is why I stick with a PC for my primary machine.
-segsurfer

Old 07-05-2009, 04:25 PM   #28
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Thumbs up Hi, I'm a PC...

..."I guess I’m not cool enough to own a Mac"

I'm cool enough to own a Segway though

Gotta love those adverts
Old 07-05-2009, 05:10 PM   #29
Joushou

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by segsurfer
I am a PC guy first and foremost, however I have had a tumultuous and fleeting love affair with macs for years. I love mac's firmware and hardware, as an iphone/ occasional mac user I can honestly say that I find their synthesis of hardware and software to be well thought out and aesthetically pleasing; that being said, I have been having ongoing problems with itunes for years and yet somehow because of the strengths mentioned above I continue to treasure my iphone. In my experience, running itunes on windows has been like pulling teeth and quite frankly I find apples black box philosophy annoying, which is why I stick with a PC for my primary machine.
And, what do you call Microsofts philosophy? "Open"? :P
OS X is way more open than Windows... They even open-sourced some of it.
Their applications run the same "black-box" philosophy as any other non-open-source app, there's no difference there... So i don't quite understand your reason :/

Also, i have never had any problems with iTunes, and neither have my computer-handicapped sister, who have been using it since version 5 (or 6, whichever were out when she got her gen3 20GB iPod) in windows, and from 8 and up in OS X (Convinced her to get a MacBook Pro, and now she wonders how she lived without it )...

But if you like the look and feel of Windows, that's completely your choice

Last edited by Joushou; 07-05-2009 at 05:20 PM..
Old 07-05-2009, 10:33 PM   #30
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joushou View Post
And, what do you call Microsofts philosophy? "Open"? :P
OS X is way more open than Windows... They even open-sourced some of it.
Their applications run the same "black-box" philosophy as any other non-open-source app, there's no difference there... So i don't quite understand your reason :/

But if you like the look and feel of Windows, that's completely your choice
iTunes does have a lot more issues on Windows than on the Mac. Some releases have been more stable than others.

But as for Apple being closed -- let me give you just one example: On Windows, you can distribute any version of Java you wish, and install it with your product. Then your product will work, no matter what other version(s) of Java your user may install on his system.

On the Macintosh? The only viable Java is from Apple. It lags years behind every other OS -- they've just recently released 1.6. This forced us to make some very expensive modifications to our software, AND reduce features, to live within the limitations -- some we could make Windows-only, others we had to eliminate entirely.

Apple does not allow you to distribute Java yourself, so you're stuck with whatever Apple has installed on their OS -- and whatever they may install there in the future.

The upside is that you're sure to have SOME version of Java, and maybe even the version you expect, if the user has had the system since you released the software. On Windows, you can't assume nearly as much -- but you do get more control.

Microsoft as open-sourced some stuff as well. I don't know the point-by-point list of of what's open-source from either side, so I won't try to compare -- but open-source doesn't mean much in the face of such license restrictions.

If I can build an entire MacOS distribution from source, but can't distribute a critical fix to my customers that fixes a bug that makes my application unreliable, then it might as well be a completely closed system.

Overall, OSX is more closed than Microsoft. Microsoft. I wouldn't say that's entirely bad -- often Microsoft's openness is regrettable, with obsolete API's hanging around making things slow, complicated, unreliable....

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.