SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Community Feedback and Support

Notices

Community Feedback and Support For community-related suggestions, feedback, technical questions, problems and support.

Old 08-24-2007, 08:57 AM   #1
JohnG
Uber Administrator
Wise Segway Elder
JohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Arrow New Feature: USA Member Map

Hi folks,

We have a new feature -- map yourself! Click on "Map" in the menubar to do it.

Find other SegwayChatters near you.

Sorry, only the USA map is available atm. We'll add other maps in due time.

-J
Old 08-24-2007, 09:01 AM   #2
Sal
Enjoys a well balanced glide
Sal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond repute

SWEET!

Hovering over your own pushpin flag will show the entry name!

Thanks John!

-Sal
Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 09:16 AM   #3
wwhopper
Advanced Member
wwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Easy

Put in your zipcode and click and it shows up

Good Work Dr. G!

Now to put an icon if you are an I2, X2, XT, Gen One I series owner!
wwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 11:39 AM   #4
Timezkware Tim
Timezkware Tim will become famous soon enoughTimezkware Tim will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Cool feature. You guys should pin this thread.

Tim
Timezkware Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 01:50 PM   #5
florin
The Gliding Dutchman
florin is a name known to allflorin is a name known to allflorin is a name known to allflorin is a name known to allflorin is a name known to allflorin is a name known to all

Default Not impressive

It' a great initiative, but why another one. We already have 2 different map systems. This one looks a bit too basic to me.

Why not work together with the makers of the existing ones, I think the google map version of the existing two works and looks great. I would rather have seen that one integrated into this website.

Florin
florin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 02:34 PM   #6
Sal
Enjoys a well balanced glide
Sal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by florin View Post
It' a great initiative, but why another one. We already have 2 different map systems. This one looks a bit too basic to me.

Why not work together with the makers of the existing ones, I think the google map version of the existing two works and looks great. I would rather have seen that one integrated into this website.
Of course, there will be other sites with better mapping implementations, but I think John did a great job integrating this map functionality, and I bet its a work in progress.

I do like the fact that this now becomes a part of this site. I would love for SC to be a hub for dynamic content relating to Segways instead of having the plethora of burgeoning Segway sites out there.

SC has a presence all it's own, and needs to flower and mature in different ways.

-Sal
Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 03:10 PM   #7
JohnG
Uber Administrator
Wise Segway Elder
JohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to behold

The answer is simple -- this one is a vBulletin add-on and Frappr is not.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:55 PM   #8
bentbiker
bentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrohol View Post
The answer is simple -- this one is a vBulletin add-on and Frappr is not.
I agree with Florin. This dilutes the effort to get people to register on the already good site.

Have you checked out the map on the Segway Today site? It is international, offers much greater detail (zoom) and and the chance to add a comment. I just realized why I was having so much trouble getting a new flag to show on the vBulletin map; it has combined several of us into one flag even though we're 70 miles apart.

A link to the Segway Today map would be much better.

I appreciate the effort, but it appears counter-productive to me.

John Kuhn

Last edited by bentbiker; 08-24-2007 at 08:20 PM..
bentbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 04:38 PM   #9
bystander
bystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to all

5 yr Member

vbulletin map errata

If you enter an Alaskan zip code, the flag appears off the coast of Southern California. And Hawaiian zip codes appear a little South of that. Maybe the graphic is supposed to have little disconnected state outlines out there?

After you enter your zip code, the distances to the other zip codes will appear on the flag legend detail.

If you were planning a trip to another region, you could change your zip code to the place you are visiting, then see who is nearby, and how far away they will be. Don't forget to change it back, or you may cause confusion.

Ideas to ponder

In concentrated populations, several IDs will show on one flag. Does the vbulletin system allow for a "zoom" map in those cases? Of course, since the system is limited by the coarse limits of an entire zip code, so there's no need to zoom in too much.

Perhaps adding prominent links to the SEMs (Segway Enthusiasts Maps) that provide more detail, would be a good idea.

Instead of showing the distances in km, how about in units of 32 km, or the approx. distance one can get on a Saphion powered PT with a full charge? Then you'd know who was in "segging distance".
bystander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 05:17 PM   #10
polo_pro
Advanced Member
polo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member Segway Polo Player
Default Frappr problems

I've tried to move my location on the Frappr map several times. I'm talking about spending well over half an hour attempting several different ways to achieving this (and double checking how I acknowledge/save the change). Now maybe I should have spent an hour and dug around on their help/support forum, but I'd rather use something else at this point.

Also duplication isn't always bad. If something suddenly goes away (for whatever reason), people will more easily migrate to the other similar service. And the community only experiences a slight hiccup.

ps - Yes, I know I could delete my Frappr account and make a new one. But that's too much effort IMO to get around what I see as a bug. One disclaimer...I haven't tried to make the change on Frappr in the last month. It is possible it's been fixed?
polo_pro is offline   Reply With Quote